In progress certification on my resume?

mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is it ever OK to put a certification that I'm working toward on my resume? In my case, I'm studying hard everyday for the CISSP but I don't have it yet, I have it scheduled for mid-March and already hold the SSCP. I'm currently leaning towards not putting it on out of being cautious but I thought I'd check here.

What do you all think? Could it be something like:

ISC2 CISSP in progress
ISC2 CISSP (expected March 17, 2015)
ISC2 CISSP (I don't actually have this yet, I'm just a poser trying to get your resume reading machines to notice me)

Thanks!
Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
In Progress: ​Not sure...

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I do, I think it shows your still working harder to improve yourself and also helps get through HR when they are just word searching ;) I put the "expected March, 2015" on with it.
  • jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    matai wrote: »
    Is it ever OK to put a certification that I'm working toward on my resume? In my case, I'm studying hard everyday for the CISSP but I don't have it yet, I have it scheduled for mid-March and already hold the SSCP. I'm currently leaning towards not putting it on out of being cautious but I thought I'd check here.

What do you all think? Could it be something like:

ISC2 CISSP in progress
    ISC2 CISSP (expected March 17, 2015)
    ISC2 CISSP (I don't actually have this yet, I'm just a poser trying to get your resume reading machines to notice me)

Thanks!

I do this with the in-progress in italics below my current certs, it looks something like (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) - est August, 2015

It has worked well for me for both CCNA and CISSP - I got a CCNA-level job pre-CCNA, and now a job with CISSP listed as a requirement pre-CISSP. During the most recent interview they verified that I was in fact working towards my CISSP and also mentioned certification reimbursement..so not a bad deal at all!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In the past I have done "expected March 2015". I don't like the "in progress" verbiage because that could mean next week or next year. Leaves too much to interpretation. In that split second that the hiring manager can't figure out when you'll have it, your resume may go into the circular file.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also put all my in-progress certs due to WGU. All of the certs that I have earned go in one list and the rest fall under my WGU entry for education noting the certs will be getting through my time there.
  • RHDS2KRHDS2K Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with putting the "expected march xxx" in italiacs. I am finishing my bachelor's MOST LIKELY March 25th, so i have that next to my degree on my resume. I would probably do that for a certification as well.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally am not a fan of putting in Certifications in progress on my resume. They should be used when you actually achieve them. Sometimes life happens and plans get delayed on getting them or sometimes you may even fail an exam once or twice, and pushing it further back. Just using it to get past the HR filters is almost like cheapening it compared to those who have it currently. What if the HR person doesn't read that particular certification that is on your resume isn't passed/active, but then when you get to the interview and they immediately dismiss you when they find out you really don't have that certification and it's integral that they hire someone already with it? Those people may remember you in the future and pass because they assume you may not have it at that time or question other certifications on your resume. It would be better to bring it up during the interview if they ask you a question on how you are improving yourself and career and mention that you are currently studying for that cert at that point. That drives home the point that is brought up that you are working on improving yourself and how you are applying that to your current goals/life.
  • smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I immediately discredit any applicant who puts a bunch of things down along with "in progress" or anything like it. If I ask for a CCNA or CISSP or college degree then you need to have it to walk in the door or someone internally that I trust needs to have vouched for you. If you are still "in progress" then the requirement is not met and I disqualify your application.

If you don't have it then you just don't have it. There are too many possibilities between now and expected for you to not meet the requirement and complete the task. Get it done and then come talk to me. Other hiring managers I speak with have the same opinion. YMMV
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    LOL. Anytime I see EXPECTED on a resume whether it's college or universities, it usually a sign of BEWARE. This guy is trying to pad his resume. Expected certifications such as a CISSP??? That's hilarity in itself.
  • JB3JB3 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'd have to agree with not putting it on your resume. If you feel that you must tell the company you are applying to about how you are working towards a certification, maybe work it into your cover letter?
  • emerald_octaneemerald_octane Member Posts: 613
    I instantly get suspect when I see in progress certs Especially the CISSP since its in such demand. Shoot, if I had a dollar for every resume with "CISSP in progress" or "CISSP planned" , "CISSP CERTIFICATION class attended" , I could retire. Often tucked VERY nearly under the candidates certification field, listed alongside lower level certs that they did obtain, I call shenanigans. People who passed the exam cannot even use CISSP in their resume, ever, until ISC^2 says they can. ISC^2 will refuse to award the designation to anyone who uses CISSP in their endorsement resume until it's removed and resubmitted. It's that serious.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your resume should be a list of things you actually accomplished, not a bucket list of things that you may do in the future.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm not a fan of it.

If you don't have it, it shouldn't go on there. Using that type of tactic, I could put "PHD in progress, est completion 2022." Where do you draw the line? Do you put expired certifications on there as well?

It just looks like you're grasping for recognition of something you don't have. If it's a job requirement and you don't have it, then you aren't qualified for the job when it comes to lining up with the requirements.

To me it would seem like you're trying to improve your resume's standing or image on things you don't have. What if you get hired and you fall off your studies? What if you get hired and you fail the exam?

I saw a resume not too long ago that had 3 certs near the top, all of which were in progress with an estimated completion date all within a month of each other. CEH, CCNA, and CISSP in 3 months? Oooookay.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd say put the ones you've actually got in progress on your CV, especially if you can answer questions on how far you've got if it came to a face to face interview. For the more ambitious one you've listed last, I'd either leave this off (because it could be classed as wishful thinking not actually being actioned).

I've heard of people putting 'wishful thinking' certifications in white text on white background on the footer of the CV to game the automated systems (and then leaving it off the 'updated' CV you send the recruiter to be given to the client) but imo this is at best ethically/morally dubious and could have a detrimental effect if found out.
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    What about easier certs like Project+? I'm thinking of doing it for mine because a lot of the job tasks are related to Project Management. However, requirements etc for the job doesn't mention anything Project Management related. In my case it would be in March, more specifically, in the first half of March
  • robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nster wrote: »
    ... because a lot of the job tasks are related to Project Management...

This plus a basic PM cert is a useful combination. Even if your role isn't PM, there's no law that says you can't show initiative, do some work outside your role and then get a basic cert to back it up and help you understand the theory behind it. When I've interviewed, I've not just asked what they've done, I've asked if they understood why things were done in that way, eg "taking a step back, why did you think it was necessary to have a Project Brief?" etc which shows me they can think at a higher level and have room to grow.
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'd vote against in progress certs on resume. I certainly look at it with suspicion if I'm asked to look at a resume, and on the applicants side, I can't say how many times I've seen people plan on a cert and never follow through. Heck, even in the certs listed here, I had plans of Project+ and CISSP at one time or another,a nd never did either. Never attempted, not attempted and failed. Other things came up in my life.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only time I recommend "In progress" for certs is if the cert consists of multiple exams and you have already taken and passed one or more. (MCITP is 4 or 5 exams, for example). Otherwise I would avoid this practice. If you are simply studying for an exam but haven't passed any tests yet, you can mention that in the interview.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I agree with srabiee. If it's multiple exams and you have passed some of them then I'd add it on there if it's relevant to the job you are applying for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • chanttchantt Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hmm I never thought about this and I may need to revise my Resume :)

I like the 'expected date' format.
    Studying for the 200-101 ICND2 exam. Shooting for early June.
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    I don't like it, however I don't even list all the certifications I have achieved on my resume. I may not toss your resume outright for it if the rest of the resume makes you look like a rock star for the position.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    like some others have said...if you don't have it, don't put expected on there....

you either have it, or you don't...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    "ISC2 CISSP (expected March 17, 2015)"

If I had a test date scheduled then I always put something like this. I don't like "in progress" or outright lying. And before passing the ISSEP I attended ISC2's class, so I put that with the expected test date.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CISSP is more than just taking the test, it also requires approval from their board so you can't honestly say a specific date you will get that certification just because you scheduled the test for a specific date and hope that you pass it.
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    chantt wrote: »
    Hmm I never thought about this and I may need to revise my Resume :)

I like the 'expected date' format.

Welcome to the reject pile.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to put in the "expected date" for the school you're currently attending if you have very little experience.

But putting an expired certification on the resume, I don't see the harm in that as long as you make it clear that it's expired.