Options

One of those things

wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is probably going to sound silly, but I am having a much harder time learning Security+ then I did CCNA. I've got a few books that are helping me with this, a lot of practice questions, and I have pulled up info here and there on the web. Is there some site or some way to help me visualize a lot of this stuff?

Comments

• Options
    NicholasRNicholasR Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel I am in the same boat except I had to sit for the Security + and fail before I realized how unprepared I was. It is not that the test is extremely difficult it is just that the study materials that I used were inadequate even though they are the most highly recommended ones for this test. Practice tests are the key is my thought as I am prepare to retake this exam.
  • Options
    f2180f2180 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    An interesting thing to note is that you will find a bulk of what you need to prepare for other certs in one book, the same doesn't hold for Sec+ read a book or two and alot of online resources and you will suceed.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    With other certifications I was fine with 1 or 2 books. With Security + you need at least 3 or 4 books including online resources. It was a hard study, but it was well worth it.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Wow... It's that in depth? After I take teh net+ I was going to tatke the security+ I was planning on 2 - 3 weeks study time then take the test... I might have to rethink this....
  • Options
    certificationjourney [bancertificationjourney [ban Inactive Imported Users Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow... It's that in depth? After I take teh net+ I was going to tatke the security+ I was planning on 2 - 3 weeks study time then take the test... I might have to rethink this....

Same here. I have the materials sitting here already. I am going to finish A+ & net+ and spend about 2 weeks on sec+ and sit for the exam. I might have to rethink that.
  • Options
    TURTLEGIRLTURTLEGIRL Member Posts: 361
    The Security + covers a vast amount of material and I would recommend anyone studying this test to take some time. Tcat(PDF) and...... CBT nuggets are good for video based training and I quite liked sybex. Make sure you have a good range of study materials for this exam.

GOOD LUCK :D
    If you don't know 24 then you don't know Jack!
  • Options
    mvastarellimvastarelli Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

As everyone here has said many times over, the amount of time needed to prepare for this test is based largely on your background familiarity with security systems.

I personally took 2 months to prepare for it, and I used 2 books (Syngress, and exam cram). I read both books from cover to cover in a little over 1 month, and then spent 2-3 weeks just reviewing material. I think one of the things that make this test so "difficult" is that it's subject matter is very broad.

Edit: as a personal asside. I think the Security+ was the most rewarding. Of all the certs I have, I feel the proudest of that one. I actually found myself getting bored when I took (and passed) the 70-271 test yesturday.
    CompTIA Tests: 220-301, 220-302, N10-003, SY0-101
    Microsoft Tests: 70-270, 70-271, 70-272, 70-536, 70-526, 70-502
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Guys, if I might chime in here. I've taught the Security+ class many times and I've used various CompTIA Authorized Courseware, and I have to tell you that I've found nothing better and more in depth than what's right here on Techexams.net. Check out the technotes.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GBAGIRL wrote:
    The Security + covers a vast amount of material and I would recommend anyone studying this test to take some time. Tcat(PDF) and...... CBT Nuggets are good for video based training and I quite liked sybex. Make sure you have a good range of study materials for this exam.

GOOD LUCK :D

I highly agree on the CBT NUggets. Those videos are great. I think the Sybex book is okay, but the DVD included with the book is pretty pathetic. Its a lot of "here is the most general information on the topic available, presented in the most boring way possible" followed by the famous line "read the book for more details".
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks all for the input I feel like I'll be able to take the Security+ next month on a day off. I sure am glad I found this web site....not easy finding study buddies.