Options

wgu and cissp

dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
I thought I previously read on here where someone had applied their cissp certification towards some of the requirements for one of the bs-IT courses. I tried to submit the score for ctv1 and they denied it.

I find it hard to believe that the culminating certification of their masters program doesn't waive a single credit in the BS program.
CISSP - January 2015
WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    You would think it would waive something in the masters if you came aboard with the cert, but not even that. How EC Council crap satisfies 2 classes is beyond me.
  • Options
    As long as they allow me to continue on my current pace, I guess I really don't mind. What's another week?
    CISSP - January 2015

• Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CISSP waived CTV1 for me in the B.Sc IT-Sec program...

CTV1 Security 4 CU
    TRANSFER BY CERTIFICATION ONLY CompTIA Security+ 2008 or
    certification in one of the following areas: MCSE (2003), MCSA (2003),
    SCSECA, GSEC, GCFW, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN, GCUX, GCFA, GSOC,
    GNET, GISP, GSLC, GCIM, GSIF, GAWN, CISSP, CCSP, CCDA,
    CCNP, CCVP, SSCP, CAP, Associate of (ISC)2 Designation, CompTIA
    DHTI+, CIW Internetworking Professional, CIW Security Professional
    (CIW Exam 1D0-460 or 1D0-470).
    CISSP (NA) - ISC2 Certifications Met

BUT... they've replaced that course (they changed the program...) so this is the new one, and they used my Sec+ instead this time.

C178 Network and Security - Applications 4 CUs
    TRANSFER BY CERTIFICATION ONLY CompTIA Security+ 2008 or
    certification in one of the following areas: MCSE, MCSA (2003),
    SCSECA, GSEC, GCFW, GCIA, GCIH, GCWN, GCUX, GCFA, GSOC,
    GNET, GISP, GSLC, GCIM, GSIF, GAWN, CISSP, CCSP, CCDA,
    CCNP, CCVP, SSCP, CAP, Associate of (ISC)2 Designation, CompTIA
    DHTI+, CIW Internetworking Professional, CIW Security Professional
    (CIW Exam 1D0-460 or 1D0-470).
    SECURITY+ CE (NA) - CompTIA Certifications Met

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    You would think it would waive something in the masters if you came aboard with the cert, but not even that. How EC Council crap satisfies 2 classes is beyond me.

I called them about exactly that today, they said the CISSP is one of the acceptable entrance requirements, but doesn't waive anything for classes. I also inquired about a SANS forensics course I'm taking now covering the EC forensics exam they have and that was a no too. Somehow I think the SANS course is going to be a lot more in depth.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    I called them about exactly that today, they said the CISSP is one of the acceptable entrance requirements, but doesn't waive anything for classes. I also inquired about a SANS forensics course I'm taking now covering the EC forensics exam they have and that was a no too. Somehow I think the SANS course is going to be a lot more in depth.

They are nothing like a B&M, but they sure want to act like one sometimes. I will take their S+ exam. I don't care other than the local Pearson center doesn't test Comptia and I have to make a 180 mile round trip to the closest center. It burns a whole day of billable hours. Linux+ (2 trips), Sec+, Net+ and CIW Database means I have 5 more trips to make. I'm thinking about just paying for a second exam out of pocket to save gas and time. I highly doubt that they would release two vouchers..

I'm apparently on the old program. Started Feb 1. Did you have the option to switch? Is it a little better?
    CISSP - January 2015

• Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was not given any options to switch, in all honesty, I wanted to switch back to the old program as my certs netted me 5 more CUs in it compared to the new one. (project+ was worth 6 compared to the now 4, and Server+ would knock out a course for 3CUs), but they won't let me go back to it. I start March 1st, I'm looking forward to it, but dreading it all the same... not a fan of these webcam recording yourself doing presentation projects...
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    dark3d wrote: »
    I highly doubt that they would release two vouchers..

This is all about your Mentor. Mine had no problems issuing me multiple vouchers at the same time. This was in 2011 and policies may have changed.
  • Options
    leleilelei Member Posts: 52 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree that you should talk to your mentor. Outline the travel time and then ask them to release the vouchers so you can schedule more than one exam each time you drive out there. If you mentor doesn't seem to want to work with you on it, request a new mentor.
    WGU BS: IT Network Design & Management - Start Date: 8/1/12 Finished: 10/1/12
    WGU MBA: IT Management - Start Date: 3/1/14 Finished: 1/29/15

• Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was told by one of the Program Directors (on monday) that any student who started the program after September 1st will automatically be switched over to the new program next week. No one has a choice in this matter.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019