Options

Just starting with VCP550-DCV

SaeedonWebSaeedonWeb Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am just starting my journey to get my first VMWare certification. I have loads of MS certifications, including one on MS Hyper-V 2008 R2. Still, getting started with stuff that I need to get through to be able to pass this exam is daunting right now. Maybe its just that I am trying something new. I am always a little apprehensive before exams.

Anyways, I have bought these books for starters:
1. Mastering VMWare vSphere 5.5 by Scott Lowe.
2. VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550 by Brian Atkinson.

My lab setup is as such:
I am running two hp DL360 G5 servers with ESXi 5.5, a small Dell Optiplex running Active Directory, and another Dell Optiplex running XP. I plan to run StarWind virtual SAN on the XP machine. All this is connected via a D-Link 16 port switch. My laptop is running a vm on which I have installed vCenter server.

Any tips and suggestion to help me pass this beast are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Get over to vmware.com and download the VCP550 exam blueprint, you'll learn about the exam objectives/topics, and get an understanding of what tools you need to know how to use and the documentation.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just in case you weren't aware, the VCP also requires taking a VMWare authorized class before you actually get the certification.

The 'official' class is several thousand dollars, but the forum lists alternative methods some of us have used/are using for that requirement.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    Just in case you weren't aware, the VCP also requires taking a VMWare authorized class before you actually get the certification.

Actually I should have mentioned, I have already taken the vSphere 5.5 Install, Configure and Managing class icon_study.gif. Just need to prep myself for the exam. Still, thanks for pointing that out.
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    Get over to vmware.com and download the VCP550 exam blueprint, you'll learn about the exam objectives/topics, and get an understanding of what tools you need to know how to use and the documentation.

I just did that. Thank you Scott.
  • Options
    particle1particle1 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bermovick wrote: »

The 'official' class is several thousand dollars, but the forum lists alternative methods some of us have used/are using for that requirement.

Could you point me in the right direction please? Maybe a link?

Thanks
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    Good luck in your studies. I'm doing the same thing. Got the 5.5 book from Scott and reading through that as well as the exam materials provided by vmware.

I've heard mixed things about this exam. It probably varies depending on how much experience and how deep that experience is in vmware.
  • Options
    real_me20real_me20 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I’m not sure StarWind supports Windows XP. You can run it on Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2012 R2. You can also get a free 2-node version on their website(Ссылка сюда https://www.starwindsoftware.com/downloads-free) and convert your DL360’s storage into SAN for your VMs. You can also make it HA for more convenience and resilience to reboots which are inevitable J
    Good luck with the certification!