Options

Rhcsa 7

Altin282820Altin282820 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Ive been using linux at home for over 10 years and finally decided, after my CCNA, to get RHCSA certified. Ive bought the Michael Jangs book, which covers RHEL 6, and downloaded CentOS 7. There are noticeable differences between 6 & 7, but I have also read that Feb 28th 2015 (tomorrow) is the last opportunity to purchase an exam voucher for RHCSA 6 exam. I am aiming to sit the exam before August (baby to deal with then!), so am I right to work with CentOS 7, rather than downgrade to 6? I dont believe Jang or Van Vugt will have RHEL 7 books out before June at the earliest.

Just wanted to confirm my thinking before carrying on. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    28th is the last opportunity to purchase the exam - you can book the exam (v6) for a year following purchase.

Differences between v6 and v7 are not huge - they are localised to only a few areas (services/firewall etc) - I would imagine the exam itself is largely identical.

I would v6 is more widely used at the moment. But I don't think it makes all that much difference which one you take.

Good luck
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    The commands are extremely different between RHEL 6 and 7. I think that would be the biggest hurdle for anyone sitting for the exam. RHEL 6 is more widely used than 7 at the moment, but in the coming years I'm sure that will change. Either way, having RHCSA, despite the version, under your belt is a bonus if you're looking for employment in the Linux realm. Also, looks like Sander Van Gudt has a book coming out in July and Michael Jang's new book will be out in September:

Amazon.com: RHCSA 7

If you decide to go for RHEL 7 version of the exam, check out the RHCE thread as it has a lot of RedHat guides for that version:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/55040-rhce-resources-update.html
  • Options
    ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In terms of materials, Sander van Vugt has already released some videos for RHCSA/RHCE v7.
    Here's the link : Sander van Vugt | InformIT
    You can also get the alpha prerelease of his book if you sign up on his website: RHAT certification - by Sander van Vugt
    Hope this helps!
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Zoovash wrote: »
    In terms of materials, Sander van Vugt has already released some videos for RHCSA/RHCE v7.
    Here's the link : Sander van Vugt | InformIT
    You can also get the alpha prerelease of his book if you sign up on his website: RHAT certification - by Sander van Vugt
    Hope this helps!

The prices of those videos are ridiculous.
  • Options
    ZoovashZoovash Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry, I can't agree nor disagree with you, probably depends on your training budget and how bad you want a cert. Having a Safari subscription could help you in reducing your costs.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Linux at home for 10 years?! Condolences... icon_wink.gif But congratulations on the baby! I hope you will be able to juggle both RHCSA and the baby.
    SOME commands (and few concepts) may be very different, but there's a core in every Linux distro that doesn't change. You may have already seen that after 10 years of Linux at home.
    So you think there's disconnect between materials (for RH6) you study and actual version of OS (RH7)? My perception may be wrong, but essentially you will be required to do same things with both RH's, only you do it differently with RH7 than with RH6...