Options

Next step advice

lotto4188lotto4188 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a couple of months now but decided to join this morning as I cant decide on what step I need to take next...

I have been working as an ICT technican at a school for the last 18 months. I completed an apprenticeship and accepted a job but was really disapointed at how little the pay rise I actually got was when I look online and compare other technicans jobs. I was not bothered as I just wanted more experience.

I have been reading the forum and decided to go down the networking route and began studying CCENT but lately ive been noticing alot of users on here say why study it when you havent even got a job in it so I have stopped for now. Im just looking for some advice at what sort of job role I should look at next to get into networking? Any advice is welcome.

Thank you all.

Comments

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    lotto4188 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a couple of months now but decided to join this morning as I cant decide on what step I need to take next...

I have been working as an ICT technican at a school for the last 18 months. I completed an apprenticeship and accepted a job but was really disapointed at how little the pay rise I actually got was when I look online and compare other technicans jobs. I was not bothered as I just wanted more experience.

I have been reading the forum and decided to go down the networking route and began studying CCENT but lately ive been noticing alot of users on here say why study it when you havent even got a job in it so I have stopped for now. Im just looking for some advice at what sort of job role I should look at next to get into networking? Any advice is welcome.

Thank you all.

Some would argue that CCENT and Network + are the framework of networking. It's really both of them will a burning desire to learn. It's recommended that if you go for your CCENT that you get some Cisco hardware to learn on but nothing will substitute on-the-job experience.

Unfortunately in IT you need a CCNA as a bare minimum to really get a well paying networking job. Until then it's baby steps....

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    lotto4188lotto4188 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah im fine with that. Just not sure what to do next!

Do you recommened just looking our for junior network support jobs? And just keep doing the CCENT in the background? Or network+?
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    lotto4188 wrote: »
    Yeah im fine with that. Just not sure what to do next!

Do you recommened just looking our for junior network support jobs? And just keep doing the CCENT in the background? Or network+?

Search for entry level jobs in your area using your favorite job search tool. See what certs they require.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From my experience thus far in IT, getting certs that are way ahead of your skill level doesn't hurt. But Experience will almost always trump certs any day. Having both well that's when doors open with little effort.

I would go ahead and pursue the CCNA, but get some Cisco equipment so you have some tangible experience.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    dewey haftadewey hafta Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There is some overlap with the CCENT and Net+. I only say that since the first half of the CCNA book I read was just material for the CCENT and having the Net+ definitely helped be blow through it. The network+ is attainable in a reasonable amount of time.

Dave330i has some good advice as well. Search for jobs that you find interesting and read what they are looking for in terms of certifications - if any. This should give you some feedback from what employers are looking for.
  • Options
    smokeyaliensmokeyalien Member Posts: 22 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can learn and pass the CCNA with self study and apply for junior network admin type positions or move up in your own organization by proving you have the knowledge and desire to go the networking route (also by networking with the Network team so you get first dibs on the next opening). While experience trumps certs you need to prove to somebody you can and want to do this type of work. Now if you were talking about getting a CCNP with no practical experience there would be a lot more cause for alarm...

I say keep studying and get those certs if this is what you want to do.
    "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention in human history, with the possible exception of handguns and tequila."
    - Mitch Radcliffe
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    If you want to get a job in networking then study for your CCNA. It doesn't matter if you don't have a job in it yet. What matters is your future plans and your BELIEF. If you believe you will be a Network Administrator then work to achieve that goal. Start off in a help desk shop or a NOC. Then when given the opportunity JOB HOP to the NA role.