Options

CitizenFour

burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
Recently had the chance to see the documentary "CitizenFour" on Edward Snowden. Really interesting stuff, but I couldn't help but be a bit baffled with Snowden's experience.

A self described "System Admin" with a title of "Infrastructure Analyst" who was also a programming/certified hacking wizard?

A high school dropout with no college degree (though attempted a masters somehow?) and with seemingly no "real IT experience" outside of some windows administration courses was somehow granted a position in IT security at the CIA? Doesn't seem to add up... and I don't mean from conspiracy theory perspective, but purely from an IT career perspective. I did read that he took an ECSA course, but from what I gather here it's not that "intense" of a cert.

As one article puts it...

"Going back in time a bit on Mr. Snowden's esteemed past, here is his resume as best as I've been able to piece it together:
  • Born 1983
  • Did not graduate from high school
  • Attended a community college, but never completed his coursework
  • 2003-2004: U.S. Army, discharged after training accident
  • 2005: NSA, Security Guard, University of Maryland
  • 2006: CIA, IT security
  • 2007-2009: CIA, diplomatic cover, Switzerland
  • 2009-2013: NSA Contractor, Dell and later Booz Allen Hamilton
  • Salary: Reported by Snowden to be around $200,000"
Not sure if many of you guys on here work public sector but it seems strange to say the least.

Comments

• Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just a side note, but working for BAH isn't public sector, hence the high salary. Whether it is correct or not, I have no idea. I personally have not seen salaries that high except downrange, excepting the occasional, extraordinary technical skillset, which I don't believe he has. Also, much like the CEH, doesn't indicate any knowledge to me. Most people could take the cram course that EC Council offers, and manage to puke their way through the exam... not necessarily an indicator of competency in an area.

JMO.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    burfect wrote: »
    Recently had the chance to see the documentary "CitizenFour" on Edward Snowden. Really interesting stuff, but I couldn't help but be a bit baffled with Snowden's experience.

Right place, right time? Its seems unlikely, but the fact is he was in a position to monitor/view this sensitive data.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I spent 30 years in the Army, much of it working in computers, security and intelligence gathering, a good amount of time in the Pentagon and I am not surprised at all, many times these positions are not filled by those who follow a path to eduction, but have worked and hacked as a nefarious activity. Think of Garcia in the show Criminal Minds, no formal education, but very good as cracking just about anything she wants, probably knows way more about computers, networks and how they can be hacked than those who have followed a above board education path.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    burfectburfect Member Posts: 128
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I spent 30 years in the Army, much of it working in computers, security and intelligence gathering, a good amount of time in the Pentagon and I am not surprised at all, many times these positions are not filled by those who follow a path to eduction, but have worked and hacked as a nefarious activity. Think of Garcia in the show Criminal Minds, no formal education, but very good as cracking just about anything she wants, probably knows way more about computers, networks and how they can be hacked than those who have followed a above board education path.

This makes me perfect sense and very likely... my confusion stems from the fact that he "appears" to be a low level sysadmin who happened to take a hacking course over a weekend.
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    burfect wrote: »
    This makes me perfect sense and very likely... my confusion stems from the fact that he "appears" to be a low level sysadmin who happened to take a hacking course over a weekend.

Exactly, the government does not want anyone to be able to track their better quality hackers, so they are always listed as "Low Level System Administrators" You would be amazed at how my GS 3-4 level people I worked with that made 2 to 3 times the money I did and when I retired, my retirement income is above 6 figures and my in service pay was higher (no, that is not bragging) just gives you a little perspective on how much money some of these low level system admins make working for the government.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.