Options

vmware cloud

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, all. I was wondering what a successful vmware cloud guy looked like. After mcsa win 7 I now have to now branch out and I am one who likes to really explore all options before making a decision.

For the cloud through vmware is it recommended to have extensive datacenter experience. If so, I was thinking of doing the VCA-DCV or do I need to specialize deeper than that?

Any suggestions appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you talking about the Cloud exam or "cloud" in general ?

Technically, if you got a vSphere Cluster in your datacenter and just create VMs here and there, you have a "Private Cloud on premises". If you "rent" some resources from someone - you technically have a "Public Cloud".

I just going to assume you talk about certifications.

You need to find out, what products interest you ..

Let's start from the top.

So the "core" stack of vSphere - like I say - also technically a private cloud - is covered in your VCP-DCV. Now yes, you can go for the VCA-DCV, but it is very basic and certainly worth it as a start. BUT - if you DO intend to go further, VCP-DCV, you may as well save your cash and go straight via the VCP.

But it does require a course, so it really all depends on budget, support from your employer etc.

Now "Cloud" specific certifications.

You can go instead with the VCP-Cloud certification. This also includes the core vSphere components, but also vCAC (vCloud Automation Center or now, vRealize Automation) and vCD (vCloud Director).

Both are big products in itself and indeed requires you to not just understand the core products, but also the ins and outs of these two products, which are massive on its own and you really need to have worked with them (or labbed extensively).

Another option to gain the CLOUD certification (VCP-CLOUD) is having your VCP-DCV and then just sit an addon exam - the VCP-IaaS exam.

The VCP-IaaS exam is solely based on vCloud Director (at least at the time I sat it) and omits vCAC (likely to change).

Both ways

1. VCP-Cloud
    2. VCP-DCV + VCP-IaaS

give you the Cloud credentials.

I can go into more details, but I'd need to know a little bit more about your intentions.

Bottom line - the cheapest "foot" into the VMware camp is done via the VCA exam. But it is like CompTIA ... If you intend to go for an CCNA eventually - you may as well not waste your time with a Network+ :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would be paying for this on my own. No employer help, but in the future they are branching into the cloud in vmware to support clients. I figured it would be a great way to get a new career path. I am only a helpdesk analyst so I am completely open.

I do want to specialize in cloud after beating my head over wireless, cloud, networking, security. So I should stick with cloud track and be the best I can at it is what I take from your reply.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If money is not an issue then I would start with the VCP-DCV followed by the IaaS. You could then dive into the NSX track to get the network parts. I'd keep an eye on the expiration though, given that version 6 is on the horizon so things may change.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    if you get the 5.5 certification VCP-DCV, you have 2-3 yrs to upgrade to 6.0 which isn't really out yet, so no worries.