Options

PackerT Vs Real equipment

HAMPHAMP Member Posts: 163
I'm not trying to start a war here, because there are plenty of threads that go back and forth.

I do understand that packetT doesn't always have the full IOS.

What I am concerned with, is this video I came across where the guy is explaining STP. In the video he explains how to make the router the ROOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcMnZqgQFPw

I didn't know that router had anything to do with STP. Can someone explain this? In the video PacketT is running STP on the router.

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everytime I click on your link it just goes to the start a new thread function..How about copying and pasting the article
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Some routers (certain 800 series, 1811, etc...) have a built-in switch that can be configured to become the STP root bridge.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    Everytime I click on your link it just goes to the start a new thread function..How about copying and pasting the article
    fixed the link..
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Some routers (certain 800 series, 1811, etc...) have a built-in switch that can be configured to become the STP root bridge.

Interesting.. Sounds like I'm gonna have to look deeper into STP.

Thank you for your help
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HAMP wrote: »
    Interesting.. Sounds like I'm gonna have to look deeper into STP.

Thank you for your help

Not really. Its still a switch...just built-into a router. STP functions exactly as it does on any other switch. The 800 series, 1811, et al. are meant for small offices. The inclusion of switchports eliminates the need for an extra device (switch). Small businesses (I've seen them in small mall stores for example) frequently use them as they only have 1 or 2 registers and maybe a PC, Printer, etc...
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]