Options

Self study for MCSA best book?

rmilyardrmilyard Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
What do you guys think the best book is?

I picked up MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 Paperback – January 27, 2015 by William Panek

MCSA Windows Server 2012 R2 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417: William Panek: 9781118859919: Amazon.com: Books

So far not that impressed with it. I would like something I can use with my Dell 2950 Home Lab to get hands on.

Suggestions and why you like it.

Comments

• Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I bought this book about 1 week ago and my cousin took it from me. He moved out of state because of a I.T job... sucks because to check it out and see how it was layed out. Can't really buy other book right now plus didn't the book come with a DVD or cd ?

Why aren't you impressed?
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    rmilyardrmilyard Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Louie1277 wrote: »
    I bought this book about 1 week ago and my cousin took it from me. He moved out of state because of a I.T job... sucks because to check it out and see how it was layed out. Can't really buy other book right now plus didn't the book come with a DVD or cd ?

Why aren't you impressed?

No DVD or PDF. For one it is HUGE! And the soft binding isn't good.

Not sure why but seems kinda all over the place at the start. I will read it some more and see what I think.
  • Options
    Jency83Jency83 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi mate, sorry to dissapoint you, but from my point of view this book definitely not a "complete study guide". I bought the non-r2 version, but still was so disappointed. Copying my review from Amazon...

I have bought the book recently to support my study for Win 2012 exams. I am currently studying for 70-411 and thought this book would help me a lot to pass the exam. I was told that Sybex books are generally a good choice.

What a disappointment it was! Although the book looks quite comprehensive it barely covers some of the exam objectives. I wouldn't definitely call it a "complete study guide". Some examples? WDS? - covered on 4 pages where 1 of them is just wdsutil command parameters, DirectAccess? - described on less than 3 pages! This is simply not enough. It may be helpful for some other exams, but won't help you that much for some topics of 70-411. I've got yet MS official academic course and every topic is described in detail on 30-40 pages there.

I was also waiting for the R2 update which should have been released in 09 or 10/2014 but they postponed it to December.

I was really disappointed and regret I didn't get the Win 2012 inside out by W. Stanek