Options

Do you guys and girls listen to music when you study?

danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
Or is it a distraction?
I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    danny069 wrote: »
    Or is it a distraction?

When labbing up my own Ideas and more generally at work then yes I do, but not when reading text or following lab manuals.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I can only do instrumental when studying. Vocals make me lose all concentration.
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'll have music on studying as long as I'm not reading. I even like to have it on quietly in the background when I am watching videos.
  • Options
    EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wrapped up my CCENT with chill-step.

Now, post-rock goes really well with my ICND2 study sessions, luckily there playlists out there that are 1hr+.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • Options
    bradl3yCbradl3yC Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 to what cyberguypr said. I dig movies so sometimes I will get some instrumental movie soundtracks out. It drowns out all the other ambient noise and can be quite helpful.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't listen to music, have movies or the TV on, or have my wife making too much noise or trying to talk to me. It just distracts me too much.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I listen to "soothing" music, e.g. nature sounds or instrumentals, when studying. I also like binaural beats for intense focus power.
  • Options
    volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I can only do instrumental when studying. Vocals make me lose all concentration.
    This. I upgraded to a paid Spotify account because the commercials between instrumental tracks would break my train of thought.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I listen to music it's usually just radio. If I listen to my favorite jams no work is getting done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hell noicon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif...it's only when I pass that I turn my bose system up in my car.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Before kids, all the time. Usually a metal or industrial CD that I listened to a lot. After kids, I have found that i need silence.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,232 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    or have my wife making too much noise or trying to talk to me.

I've learned to study with this happening because my wife ALWAYS talks to me while I'm studying. Either that or she sits near me and starts watching something on the iPad without using headphones :D
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    I've found that non-intrusive background noise and music makes me more productive.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depends on if I'm hyped up on caffeine. If I am, it's Metallica or Newsted and more metal, or something catchy like Pentatonix. Otherwise, it's Mozart, Beethoven, 2Cellos, or some violin.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I do the opposite. I put earplugs in, with earmuffs over them, but that's when I'm reading. Otherwise I'm watching videos.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

This. There's a playlist on Spotify called "Intense Studying" which has a lot of classical music that I play on my headphones while studying. Not necessarily to aid my learning directly but to drown out the noise at home or in the library.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    robSrobS Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Progressive house, liquid dnb or sometimes white noise played over earplugs.

I also turn off all notifications, and have at least 15 minutes between last social media use and the start of proper study.
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually, I listen to stuff with lots of bass but the hours before exams I'll switch to classical (Baroque mostly) and maybe silence.

Close email client and web browser (unless it's your medium); mute phone unless important.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I NEED music in the background. Drove my parents mad when I tried listening to music when doing my homework. Has not changed. I usually listen to "Clubroot" or "Burial" when studying .. actually .. when doing anything on the PC really.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nothing with words I can understand. Throws me off. Something like Deep Forest where I have not idea what they are singing/saying is the same as just instruments for me.