Options

SPB, Fabricpath, VCS, or QFabric?

OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have seen a lot about this topic lately. I assume everyone in the Cisco realm is aware of Fabricpath, but what about deployments with SPB (Avaya), VCS (Brocade), and QFabric (Juniper)? Based on your personal experience (Or observations), which one have you seen to be most successful?
:study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []

Comments

• Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Most successful is an application environment that does´t have ridiculous L2 requirements.... in other words, if you do have large L2 requirements (VMWare, Microsoft); they should be hidden from the actual data center fabric.

Traditional routing with software based overlays. VXLAN, NVGRE, GENEVE, etc.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was able to dig up some documentation on VXLAN and NVGRE, but GENEVE seems to have a brief amount of documentation. Would this be the best thing to read into on it?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gross-geneve-00

Also, any specific documentation or reading you recommend?
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    powmia wrote: »
    Traditional routing with software based overlays. VXLAN, NVGRE, GENEVE, etc.

These seem to be the ones getting the most traction right now from what I have seen. I'm in the beginning stages of vetting some VXLAN deployment ideas with the Nexus line. NSX is getting a lot of attention too.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    Yeah not much detail on the GENEVE encap outside of the ietf draft. Those are the big ones, VXLAN is furthest out front. There are many other implementations, proprietary and open, but the theme is the same: dumb L3 fabric. NSX is closest to being the right thing from a pretty-package enterprise perspective. I dont know what is new with it, but I had VMWare throw a copy in the lab at my last place... it was pretty immature IMO.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We have VMWare coming in to do some NSX demos and lab stuff. I'm a big fan of anything with an L3 underlying infrastructure. As a provider of other services we will likely be going native VXLAN as well to offer other services. At least VXLAN seems to be the leader right now. Something better might come along before the design becomes reality.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.