Options

Redundent file shares (netapp)

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

we have two net-app filers, in fact the second is a re-purposed one that has become available to our main site. So we would like to use it to get resilient file shares and VMware storage.

We cant run them as a metro cluster as they are not compatible, so we are looking at other ways to achieve this. From what I can see the VMware side is not easy unless you have probably synced file systems and a front end that presents the sores as a single point. or we could use vmware SRM for a controlled but slightly less smooth fail-over. Suppose VMware HA is another way to go but this might be over the top for our entire estate.

More what I am looking for is to make the cif shares resilient. we have snap mirror but this is not an automatic fail over, and is up to an hour out of date. Does any one know if netapp with out using metro clustering supports some thing like Microsoft DFS or [FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]Continuously Available File Shares (CAFS). I know I could set up some window boxes as front ends but is there any thing like this native to netapp>[/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times, Times New Roman, serif]cheers [/FONT]
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.