Options

CISSP exam prep

koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello

I am sure this topic must have been discussed millions of times but I thought of asking you guys again. I am Network Security Design Engineer and have CCNA, CCNP, CCIE but I want to get into InfoSec space and want to complete CISSP before I decide to move onto CISA. I am trying to get CISSP for last 2 yrs but never go too serious but now I am more focused. I read first 2 chapter of Shon Harris 6th edition but feel like book is boring.
Could you guys suggest me the best book to start with and how long I should plan on reading / practice before I decide to take an exam? I am thinking of 3 months plan but not sure if this is a practical way of doing it or not.

Your help/suggestions are more welcome.

Much appreciate your help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    3 months should be ample time for someone with your qualifications.
    Of course each person is different.
    You might want to read through the forums for more information.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The Shon Harris AIO book has been the bible of CISSP for many years. Her writing style is not very appealing to a lot of people but the material is good.

You might also try the Eric Conrad CISSP Study guide and the 11th hour. They are shorter. Since you already have the technical background the CBT nuggets videos by Keith Barker would be a good addition.

One more thing to consider, the exam is being restructured in April from 10 domains to 8 domains. The material should be the same though.
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    I made it through most of the first chapter before I tossed AIO to the wind. Couldn't do it. No disrespect to the late Shon Harris and all she's done for training the infosec community, but I don't learn by reading dry material. I learn by practical experience, visual aids, and things that challenge me, like taking tests.

As TheFORCE suggested, Eric Conrad's 11th hour was good, but is just an abridged version of his full book, and leaves some specifics out that are helpful, still a good book though.

Also as TheFORCE said, CBT Nuggets. Keith Barker is an excellent training source for people who can't learn by trying to soak up dry material. He's upbeat, interesting, and does a good job of drawing out what he's trying to teach. It's basically a white-board style setup. But the trial is only for a week, so you need to try and finish all of the training in that time, or else it jumps up to $100ish a month. Also it has transcripts that you can copy and paste if you were so inclined.

CCCUre paid ($50 for 6 months) and Total Tester (free demo includes all CISSP questions) exams are great because they have lots of very technical questions, which will get you familiar with all the needed terms and concepts for the test. It has a study mode that lets you see the answer whenever you want, so I answer the question, then check the answer to see if I was right, if not I commit the answer to memory or if it's a concept, I google it to learn the concept. It also has a 250 question 6 hour testing mode that gets you used to sitting for long periods of time and testing.

Good luck!
  • Options
    seigex - I believe in practicle study too. Never used to keep reading book without getting what it says, I need to understand the concept and move on. I used CBT for all of my Cisco certs and believe they are good for CISSP too. I will try to finish before trial version expire.
    Do you guys think Eric Conrad's 11th hour study should be good enough to prep for the exam? Of course , I will practice for the exam as you guys mentioned but in terms of reading material, is it good enough to get an idea about the domains ?

Thanks all for your quick responses.
  • Options
    Momala2525@gmail.comMomala2525@gmail.com Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are a CCIE, the exam is peanut to u.

Read the passed thread
  • Options
    I am not sure if this exam is peanut but let see. I am going over the thread and hopefully I can crack this exam quickly as I want to move onto CISA.
  • Options
    seigexseigex Member Posts: 105
    koolguy123 wrote: »
    seigex - I believe in practicle study too. Never used to keep reading book without getting what it says, I need to understand the concept and move on. I used CBT for all of my Cisco certs and believe they are good for CISSP too. I will try to finish before trial version expire.
    Do you guys think Eric Conrad's 11th hour study should be good enough to prep for the exam? Of course , I will practice for the exam as you guys mentioned but in terms of reading material, is it good enough to get an idea about the domains ?

Thanks all for your quick responses.

I originally bought the 11th hour study guide, but ended up getting Eric Conrad's full CISSP Study Guide ... The 11th hour is a very condensed version of the former. You get more detail, and it's still easy to read. I finished it within 2 days and was able to retain the info pretty well.
  • Options
    Wow... Finished in 2 days. After reading so many posts here I feel like I should be able to finish reading and watching CBT videos in less than 6 weeks..
    I got Shon Harris 6th Edition book but CD doesnt work and I just want to listen to audio , not interested in reading this book. I am going to read 11th hour study guide as lot of people seem to prefer that and quite enjoying it. Do you guys know if I can find audio files of Shon Harris 6th Edition?
  • Options
    RimmiRimmi Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The audio is at McGraw hill website where u practice the free exam
  • Options
    GLORRIIAGLORRIIA Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone successfully passed the test from studying the CISSP CBK ? Haven't really seen any post about it.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GLORRIIA wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully passed the test from studying the CISSP CBK ? Haven't really seen any post about it.

The CISSP CBK was one of the first books I started reading back then when I had no familiarity with the CISSP. It was the first book on CISSP I read cover to cover.
  • Options
    I think exam has changed alot since then and now people are reading one book but refer to lot of different videos and other test exams.
    @Rimmi - Thanks for tell me where to look for audio and free exam. Didnt know about it.

You guys rock... Giving me so much knowledge and motivation.

Thanks once again...