Options

I had a DB60 cable go bad on me

mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
This is for the people who dont have real lab equipment and why show commands are important.

A few days ago I was doing a Frame Relay lab. Three DTEs connected to a Frame Relay switch.. The FR is your basic
2650 with a NM4 A/S.. I just did the basic static mapping and the FR was configured with the basic "frame relay route dlci interface dlci" blah blah blah. One side worked fine and the other did'nt. And so I keep looking at the configs and I get real close to the screen to make sure they matched. And, frankly, as a trainee, it's shi* like this where you question your ability to learn this stuff. So I keep re-checking the configs and making sure the the cables are plugged in tight. And yes I checked the DB60s to make sure the DCE side was at the FR (thus my question earlier this week about DCE side belonging to the ISP--thanks Gurus)

So then i fire up debug frame relay lmi. The good side is putting out but the bad side ain't. I do a sh controll s1/0 and it sez "no cable clock rate 64000".. Hmmm I again unplug and replug it in but it still does'nt work. So I get this brilliant idea to replace the cable because all of my school studies tell me that 70% of all network problems tend to occur at layer 1.. AND DAMN IT, in this case they are right. As soon as I replaced the cable, debug lmi came to life and the PVC came to life. I was stunned cuz if anybody has a DB60, those puppies are heavy duty. smart serials go bad easier than DB60s in my opinion

I live l learn ( stop laughing Gurus :{D )
Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University