Options

Didn’t pass CISSP exam last week, I guess I know why !! ,:-\

F_O_X2000F_O_X2000 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I’m new in this Forum and I want to share some of the ideas I faced during the exam, unfortunately, I couldn’t pass last week, I used the following resources:
  • CBT nuggets by Keith Barker
  • Eric Conrad, Eleventh Hour CISSP Study Guide
  • And Slides provided form the Instructor.
I thought that one month will be more than enough for studying, but once I saw the questions I knew that something wrong I made. The questions were difficult form my point of view, some questions were new to me and I couldn’t remember that I've read this on any of the resources I had (mentioned above), although some questions are really easy but in the other hand I remember I put 40-50 questions on Flag. Moreover; ISC2 is reconstructing the domains on April and new subjects will be removed/added and this is another issue to me.

I’m determined to get the certificate and I want to pass the exam on my next attempt (not scheduled yet), I need your help regarding the sources, books, tests or anything would help, money is not an issue as long as the material would help me pass, I’m determined to get the certificate life or died. icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    Momala2525@gmail.comMomala2525@gmail.com Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will not see the any practice exam that is similar to the actual exam. Not even transcender that guarantee 90% pass.

Read the pass thread and you will be okie. With determination, you can do it.

The exam is on a high level concept. It is a management exam.

Go for it for another try before 15 April. Good luck friend.
  • Options
    Thak you, I just pre-orderd "CISSP CBK - Fourth Edition" . if somone has a better idea please post it .
  • Options
    mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    Most people use multiple resources while preparing .
    Think I used over a dozen different resources.
    The Exam Cram and CISSP for dummies helped me as much as anything else.
    Concentrate on the high level concepts rather than specifics and think like a manager.

Good luck.
  • Options
    papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    The books you listed are fine. Reading 8 more books isn't going to make you do any better unless you have the capacity to retain the information. What was your score and what were your weakest domains?
    F_O_X2000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I’m new in this Forum and I want to share some of the ideas I faced during the exam, unfortunately, I couldn’t pass last week, I used the following resources:
    • CBT nuggets by Keith Barker
    • Eric Conrad, Eleventh Hour CISSP Study Guide
    • And Slides provided form the Instructor.
    I thought that one month will be more than enough for studying, but once I saw the questions I knew that something wrong I made. The questions were difficult form my point of view, some questions were new to me and I couldn’t remember that I've read this on any of the resources I had (mentioned above), although some questions are really easy but in the other hand I remember I put 40-50 questions on Flag. Moreover; ISC2 is reconstructing the domains on April and new subjects will be removed/added and this is another issue to me.

I’m determined to get the certificate and I want to pass the exam on my next attempt (not scheduled yet), I need your help regarding the sources, books, tests or anything would help, money is not an issue as long as the material would help me pass, I’m determined to get the certificate life or died. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The formula for success:

1.Read Shon Harris AIO cover to cover.
    2.Read all the "passed" threads on this site.
    3.Do step 1 and 2 again.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most of the recent pass threads, include the Shon Harris All In One (AIO), but use it as a secondary reference to focus on weak areas.

Furthermore, in your first post, you didn't mention utilizing any practice tests... if this is true, you should really add them to your studying, they're very helpful.

I used the Exam Cram book, and it came with the pearson IT certification testing software, and the Shon Harris AIO came with total tester software, I rotated through both. I also used all 3 of the ISC2 StudiScope exams, and the feedback from them to better myself too.
  • Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think I have something for you. This is what you need to do:

1- Since you now have exam experience, you need to evaluate your experience and the knowledge.
    2- If you think you were baffled by most of the questions in the exam, get the "AIO Guide to CISSP CBK 6E - Shon Harris".
    3- To pair up with the AIO, get the "Eric Conrad CISSP 2E" and the "CISSP 11th Hour 2E - Eric Conrad".
    4- Read the AIO from cover to cover. Don't skip anything. Read it all once and get an understanding of all the content. I know it's verbose but, everything in there is important.
    5- Now go through the AIO again but this time, make notes of things you need to memorize and stuff you didn't get in the first go.
    6- Once you are done with the AIO, go through the Eric Conrad's book and fill in the gaps from the AIO, making notes along the way.
    7- Once you are done with both the books, practice with the "McGrawHill" practice tests, available for free on the internet. Use the "CISSP 11th Hour" for revision.
    8- Learn how to take the test and manage time for it.

I hope this sinks in well for you. If you have any questions, you can always ask people around here. Everyone is willing to help. Now, go get that certification!

Regards
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    kenerepkenerep Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @poster, did you use any practice questions? I think the practice questions are very good for reinforcing the concepts. I recommend the free McGraw Hill exam practice questions as well as the total tester question that comes with the AIO. Also try as much as possible to do the practice questions at the end of each chapter in the AIO. I am sure from there you can know your weak domains and concentrate on it.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep going.

I read three books several times, I discover with two books would be better.

Now please do not forget the exam simulation like Transcender WITHOUT READING THE ANSWERS. Yes, if you failed the questions begin to look for in Wikipedia or any place what is the answer or begin to understand that concept.

It is very difficult exam, with time you will pass it, I studied 10 month to pass it.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    I will try to do that, I'm really determined to pass it, thank you for helping.
  • Options
    The weakest domain are "Operation security" then "Software development security".
    The Strongest are "Access Control" then "Physical security"

In fact, when I reached to 100 question I new I would fail, so I lost my focus and started choosing the answers randomly icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Sure I would do that and maybe more. thanks a lot
    The formula for success:

1.Read Shon Harris AIO cover to cover.
    2.Read all the "passed" threads on this site.
    3.Do step 1 and 2 again.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    I took a month to study the books, frankly speaking I hate to study throw multiple recourses, I prefer to study and get focus from one book that covers everything rather than digging her and there.

H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Most of the recent pass threads, include the Shon Harris All In One (AIO), but use it as a secondary reference to focus on weak areas.

Furthermore, in your first post, you didn't mention utilizing any practice tests... if this is true, you should really add them to your studying, they're very helpful.

I used the Exam Cram book, and it came with the pearson IT certification testing software, and the Shon Harris AIO came with total tester software, I rotated through both. I also used all 3 of the ISC2 StudiScope exams, and the feedback from them to better myself too.
  • Options
    I would like to thank you, I'll gonna follow your advise, still I have 3 months to go, I will start studding next week.

I liked this forum as we share the happiness an sadness, knowledge transfer and focusing in details. God bless you all.
    I think I have something for you. This is what you need to do:

1- Since you now have exam experience, you need to evaluate your experience and the knowledge.
    2- If you think you were baffled by most of the questions in the exam, get the "AIO Guide to CISSP CBK 6E - Shon Harris".
    3- To pair up with the AIO, get the "Eric Conrad CISSP 2E" and the "CISSP 11th Hour 2E - Eric Conrad".
    4- Read the AIO from cover to cover. Don't skip anything. Read it all once and get an understanding of all the content. I know it's verbose but, everything in there is important.
    5- Now go through the AIO again but this time, make notes of things you need to memorize and stuff you didn't get in the first go.
    6- Once you are done with the AIO, go through the Eric Conrad's book and fill in the gaps from the AIO, making notes along the way.
    7- Once you are done with both the books, practice with the "McGrawHill" practice tests, available for free on the internet. Use the "CISSP 11th Hour" for revision.
    8- Learn how to take the test and manage time for it.

I hope this sinks in well for you. If you have any questions, you can always ask people around here. Everyone is willing to help. Now, go get that certification!

Regards
  • Options
    I liked your determination. thanks a lot
    impelse wrote: »
    Keep going.

I read three books several times, I discover with two books would be better.

Now please do not forget the exam simulation like Transcender WITHOUT READING THE ANSWERS. Yes, if you failed the questions begin to look for in Wikipedia or any place what is the answer or begin to understand that concept.

It is very difficult exam, with time you will pass it, I studied 10 month to pass it.
  • Options
    GLORRIIAGLORRIIA Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WOW!!! This is very enlightening. Plan to take the test in May. Just started AOI after studying CISSP for dommies.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would agree with the exam sims. If you cannot ace the practice exams, you need to find out why (by reading the answer summary.) I just sat the Sec+ exam this morning and I found similarities between the two tests.

You should be able to review the sunflower pdf and not encounter anything new to you. If you don't know something on there well enough to explain it to someone else then I would recommend hammering on that topic until you can.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    marcarthur87marcarthur87 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    F_O_X2000 don't be discouraged. I failed my CISSP yesterday (03/10/15) with a score of 653 so we're in the same boat. Keep working on it, i'm up to 5 books (11th hour cissp *1st and 2nd edition*, CISSP study guide, CISSP for dummies, and of course the AIO 6th edition) now and a paid membership to cccure.org for practice exams. Let's pass this exam before they change it next month... I'll race you to it! icon_arrow.gif
  • Options
    dark3d wrote: »
    I would agree with the exam sims. If you cannot ace the practice exams, you need to find out why (by reading the answer summary.) I just sat the Sec+ exam this morning and I found similarities between the two tests.

You should be able to review the sunflower pdf and not encounter anything new to you. If you don't know something on there well enough to explain it to someone else then I would recommend hammering on that topic until you can.

thank you, I will consider it in my next attempt :)
  • Options
    F_O_X2000 don't be discouraged. I failed my CISSP yesterday (03/10/15) with a score of 653 so we're in the same boat. Keep working on it, i'm up to 5 books (11th hour cissp *1st and 2nd edition*, CISSP study guide, CISSP for dummies, and of course the AIO 6th edition) now and a paid membership to cccure.org for practice exams. Let's pass this exam before they change it next month... I'll race you to it! icon_arrow.gif

Sad to hear that, your second attempt would be better for sure, but it should be after 3 months as per there policy (3 months interval after the last one), I pre-orderd "Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition ((ISC)2 Press)". I will study it then I will apply again. I wish you all the best..
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    Fox,

The 11th hour is a useful read in the final days leading up the test. It leaves a lot of information out! Also next time dont choose answers randomly, I rarely feel confident in my answers when taking an exam but I just give it my all anyway and so far I'm batting 1000 on first attempts. I would recommend using a better book and reinforcing with the 11th hour. The CBK is good but its a really boring read, although its written by the source so thats always a plus.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Hey brother. Do you have the Shon Harris videos and audio? Keep pushing it. One of the guys was right above, having too many sources may make it harder. The good thing is you took the test and you can attack it now with what areas you were hurting. Hopefully, the change is not too drastic. I'm assuming they may update questions with some newer protocols, but other than that... most of the business aspect should be the same. I mentioned the videos because I watched them while READING her book and listened to her audio day & night (driving to work, in the shower, while eating). By constantly hearing it and writing in the book, while watching her videos made things stick a lot better for me.

From my post:
    4. Listened to all of the audio's (YES, in your CAR... when eating... in the shower)
    OFFICIAL FREE MP3 DOWNLOAD (THANK DANIELM7) - DL each Chapter's MP3s: McGraw-Hill Education | CISSP Practice Exams
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Hey dark3d? How long did it take for your CISSP results to come back? People are saying four weeks. I remember you saying you just took the exam on or near 7 March 15.

I heard in some cases, it comes back in two weeks, which I hope it really does (Mine was sent 14 March 2015). Any info would be great. If so man, that's outstanding on their end.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello mates,
    Curious to know if anyone has purchased the latest transcender CISSP practice questions. They claim to have the latest material post the CBK change (from 15th April’15).
    If anyone has gone through their practice questions, pls advise with the feedback, that would be a great help. Alternatively, kindly suggest about other good practice tests (may be URLs) that’s worth for the real exam.
    Many thanks.
    — Sam
  • Options
    nk_vnnk_vn Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sam_aqua wrote: »
    Hello mates,
    Curious to know if anyone has purchased the latest transcender CISSP practice questions. They claim to have the latest material post the CBK change (from 15th April’15).
    If anyone has gone through their practice questions, pls advise with the feedback, that would be a great help. Alternatively, kindly suggest about other good practice tests (may be URLs) that’s worth for the real exam.
    Many thanks.
    — Sam

I recently bought them. My intention is to use them as a primary gauge and gap filling before my exam, which is scheduled for 21st July. I will be able to tell you how relevant they are after the exam. For now I can say that the only issue that I have noticed is that sometimes the questions get duplicated in the preset/random exams.
  • Options
    Thanks nk_vn. I will be eager to get feedback post your exam on 21st July.
    I wish you a good luck mate.

Cheers
    Sam
  • Options
    kukkukukku Member Posts: 130 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nk_vn wrote: »
    I recently bought them. My intention is to use them as a primary gauge and gap filling before my exam, which is scheduled for 21st July. I will be able to tell you how relevant they are after the exam. For now I can say that the only issue that I have noticed is that sometimes the questions get duplicated in the preset/random exams.

Good Luck..
  • Options
    Momala2525@gmail.comMomala2525@gmail.com Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Transcender is nothing close to the exam.
  • Options
    Thanks Momala2525 for the inputs, however can't understand how can they advertise for Money back with their 6 months online CISSP package..

Moreover what are other options which you think are close to the actual exam as that would help someone to get a real feel pre actual exam .. pls advise.

Thank you.

Cheers
    Sam
  • Options
    grungeisevilgrungeisevil Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Really sorry to hear that you didn't pass the exam. Chin up and get back on track.

There's one thing that I'd like to share and hope it'll be useful. Everyone will share their own recipe for success BUT you'll need to determine what works for you.

Evaluate your current understanding of Information Security and work out how much you need to study to fully grasp the 8 domain. No single one set of practice questions out there will be exactly like the exam, so use them to identify your weak domains and focus on it.

If I had to pin point one factor that helped me get through the exam, it would definitely be theory application. Knowing the facts alone will not get you through the exam, but how and where to apply them is the key.

All the best in your next attempt!