Options

p2p across multiple devices

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

I always thought P2P was a protocol for just what was between two physical devices, but we have a customer in work who has a P2P service across multiple devices. Is this just the concept that as far as the customer is concerned, fixed circuit going to w/e they want it to go?

I've been looking at clients with a P2P service as having a device connecting directly into our network, but rather its a P2P service that is built by the ISP.

If I try and explain the question more more I'll just confuse myself. Google powers are strong but I have a wireless module I have to complete as well, and all I've seen so far is the simple P2P topology that I always thought was the case.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you mean by P2P. It's a very broad term used in all sorts of applications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    Point-to-point does not mean that there are only two devices total, but simply that there are no more than two devices on the link, one on each end. You can have a single router with numerous p2p interfaces. For example, a router has 10 point-to-point (e.g., T1/E1) links connecting to 10 different remote sites. Each of the 10 remote routers has its own link but does not share it with others. Cf. Ethernet where you can put all 11 devices on the same physical segment.

There are some inherently multipoint technologies, e.g. frame relay, where multiple p2p sub-interfaces are used. This is not required, but is done to simplify management.

That's the best I can do without more description from you.