Options

SSD Drives, which have been good for you.

MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
I am thinking about picking up a couple of SSD drives and knowing they have been around for a while, if you have good or bad experiences, what brands have been good and what brands have been bad for folks.

Thanks.
Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.

Comments

• Options
    BucklesBuckles Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    I am thinking about picking up a couple of SSD drives and knowing they have been around for a while, if you have good or bad experiences, what brands have been good and what brands have been bad for folks.

Thanks.

Currently, I've got on my Lab Desktop a Crucial M4 256Gb unit and it's been great. Faultless.

On my Work Laptop, a Samsung 840 EVO and that's been great too. Crucial and Samsung both have good reputations based on the research I did.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    If in a critical or high usage environment, there are 3 that I favor, Intel, SanDisk Extreme Pro and the PRO version of Samsung
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2014-06-18-10.35.29.jpg

Runs my nested lab nicely...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My Samsung 830 is still running smoothly after a number of years, can't fault it.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really like my Crucial it's been good to me.
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a PNY that was cheap and works fine.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I only use Samsung first or crucial second. I don't like ssd's with the sandforce controller. The controller has issues with drive encryption and are slower than the Samsung drives.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ordered a Samsung 1TB 850 evo yesterday, it has good reviews.

Currently I have a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Delux 120 GB SSD, I will keep this for file history, the new 1 TB will replace the 120 GB SSD and a 500 GB WD Black and a 320 GB WD Blue.

The 120 GB Mushkin is 1.5 years old, I had no problems with it
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    I only use Samsung first or crucial second. I don't like ssd's with the sandforce controller. The controller has issues with drive encryption and are slower than the Samsung drives.

Good information, thanks.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Intel, Samsung and OCZ are the three brands dominating my rigs currently, haven't had any issues with any of them, I use the OCZ vertex series, I was an early adopter, and have Vertex series 2 and 3. the Samsung is a great performer too, and I got the 850 Pro with it's VNAND tech, it's supposed to be able to help increase SSD density and cost/Gb, and I have no complaints with it. The Intel's are pricey, but worth it if you can get a good pricebreak on them :D
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I use Samsung, Crucial, and SanDisk. All have been performing great.
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    I have 2 x OCZ Vertex 128 GB 2 series 2.5 inch. I've had one one of them for 6 years with no issues. The other one is only a few months old, but no issues with it either.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I would suggest against OCZs, if you end up having a problem, the support just isn't there. The failure/problem rate of OCZ drives are pretty high up there as well.

Crucial is a good bang/buck, so is Samsung EVO as they both have good reliability. Endurance-wise though, you have to stay away from the EVO for the long term, as TLC is a limiting factor.

While I USUALLY dislike the SandForce controller, Intel's implementation of it in the Intel 520, 530 and 730 have been great. This is an exception to the rule however

I'll expand my favorites, from least reliable to most:

SanDisk's Extreme Pro has a great 10yr warranty and the performance is great, while still having greater endurance than Crucials.

Samsung has an even greater track record for their PRO drives in these categories, and a 10 year warranty now as well with a staggering 150TB endurance, however the price is higher, netting a lower bang/buck. Intel 820, 830 or 850 Pro are my favorites here. I recon Samsung is the Endurance king in consumer drives

Intel has the greatest track record in terms of failure rates and reliability though and the quality and consistency of the performance is really to the point here, and so is the consistency of the performance, though it sacrifices peak performance, and the warranty is only 5 years. Unless it is at a deep discount, Intel drives are usually the worst bang/buck. My drive of choice here would be the 480GB version of the Intel 730 or enterprise level drives (S3X00)
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have always been an Intel guy, their SSDs are some of the best out there.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Was OCZ but now Samsung Pro.
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    128 GB OCZ. No issues at all. You can find them cheap on Amazon occasionally.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Samsung evo pro 256gb if I remeber the part number right.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    I've had Intel, Crucial, Kingston, and Samsung. Out of those 4: Intel and Kingston has failed the most by far. Samsung I've only had 1 failure with the EVO 840.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using a 128GB OCZ (Agility 3 I think).

HDD to SSD is a Life-changing experience. I'm not confident to switch completely though to a fully SSD system but it would be nice.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I would only use Samsung or Intel now, the ADATA disks I've bought had several failures, crucial also had a couple.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've had really good luck with the Samsung 840's, but I also have a couple of the cheaper Kingston drives off Newegg that have been rock solid as well, which was unexpected considering their low price.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    I ordered a Samsung 1TB 850 evo yesterday, it has good reviews. Currently I have a Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Delux 120 GB SSD, I will keep this for file history, the new 1 TB will replace the 120 GB SSD and a 500 GB WD Black and a 320 GB WD Blue. The 120 GB Mushkin is 1.5 years old, I had no problems with it
    I received the 1TB 850 evo yesterday, not having annoying spinning HDD's makes things much faster. I used to have large slow applications on an HDD which makes them even slower (Android Studio, Hyper-V images etc).
  • Options
    MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    A really important question that hasn't been asked yet really is, what are you doing with them?.

Different SSDs perform differently for different types of operations.

I agree that the Samsung and Intel series are in a general sense solid drives