Sending a email after interview to keep in touch

iAnonymityiAnonymity Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
So 2 months ago, I had a interview for a NOC, I got my resume in through a co workers wife who was a manager and knew of this opening. So I got a call on a Wednesday, the NOC manager had my resume and we went over the details and he seemed like I would be a good fit based on experience so we made a date the following Friday to have the interview. Now this is where everything for me fell apart, first thing I'm told is that some things changed and that he didn't have a position for me. We went ahead and did the interview process, he gave me the tour of the data center, told me how they monitor etc, and finally told me the pay as we walked back to security, which I wish he wouldn't have. Later that evening I sent a email as a Thank you etc, and then a week later I called and that's when I got the timeline that when a positions opens up I would be first to hear, but it could be a couple weeks, or a couple months. My perspective its going to be someone to either leave company, or move up for a spot to open. So now being a couple months later, I have heard nothing, and learned from the manager that gave my resume to the NOC manager that someone within the company got their family member the position I interviewed for. So, my dilemma, do I continue to keep in touch by sending a email, or just wait? My wife is pushing me to send a email but I don't want to be annoying, especially to a manager of his statue. Any advice would be awesome as I'm torn on whether to just wait or just send the email...

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    iAnonymity wrote: »
    So 2 months ago, I had a interview for a NOC, I got my resume in through a co workers wife who was a manager and knew of this opening. So I got a call on a Wednesday, the NOC manager had my resume and we went over the details and he seemed like I would be a good fit based on experience so we made a date the following Friday to have the interview. Now this is where everything for me fell apart, first thing I'm told is that some things changed and that he didn't have a position for me. We went ahead and did the interview process, he gave me the tour of the data center, told me how they monitor etc, and finally told me the pay as we walked back to security, which I wish he wouldn't have. Later that evening I sent a email as a Thank you etc, and then a week later I called and that's when I got the timeline that when a positions opens up I would be first to hear, but it could be a couple weeks, or a couple months. My perspective its going to be someone to either leave company, or move up for a spot to open. So now being a couple months later, I have heard nothing, and learned from the manager that gave my resume to the NOC manager that someone within the company got their family member the position I interviewed for. So, my dilemma, do I continue to keep in touch by sending a email, or just wait? My wife is pushing me to send a email but I don't want to be annoying, especially to a manager of his statue. Any advice would be awesome as I'm torn on whether to just wait or just send the email...

Don't worry about annoying them, you have sent what...1 or 2 emails at this point? Another is nothing.

I would treat this opportunity like any other, pursue it until you land a new gig at which point you stop and focus on your new job. I would not pass up interviewing for other jobs.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    If after you sent the thank you email they didn't respond, that should be a clue they probably hired someone else or won't hire anyone.
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    If after you sent the thank you email they didn't respond, that should be a clue they probably hired someone else or won't hire anyone.
    I'd have to agree. I know that's not what you want to hear, but unfortunately it's the truth. It really can't hurt to send another, just so you know you covered your bases and you won't always wonder.

Keep your head up and keeping looking mate.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • iAnonymityiAnonymity Member Posts: 22 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah so only 1 email so far, the thank you email and he did reply and it was along the same lines as something has changed, at this point I didn't know what, but that change was they hired the guy who had already worked there family member or relation. My current job I'm content, this was just a great opportunity future wise. So I'm in a good spot to just wait, but I see your point. I may shoot them another email to just touch base.