Options

TigerDirect closing 31 of 35 stores

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
Was surprised to come across this: Report: TigerDirect Closing Physical Retail Stores, Focusing on B2B Sales

They also recuited some help to refocus: Shark Tank judge Kevin O'Leary named TigerDirect spokesman - South Florida Business Journal

I never really clicked with TigerDirect. Always preferred Newegg/Amazon for online and Frys for B&M. Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think I might just stop by and see what kind of store closing sales they've got going on. I normally avoid going there since the staff has no idea what they are talking about.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    That's disappointing. That's where I go when I need/want parts or peripherals same day. I hope the Jacksonville store stays open.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I order parts and items CDW may not have from Tiger prices are normally alright, sounds like this is their focus now
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went to the tigerdirect store near me and almost everything was only 10% off. When looking at all the prices the first thing I thought was even after this 10% discount I bet it still costs more than newegg. So I checked on my phone and sure enough everything still cost more than newegg...

It looked like the shelves were already cleaned out pretty good too. Do people just see 10% off and automatically think they're getting a good deal?
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Tigerdirect was awesome back in the day, then Newegg came in and offered a much better experience coupled with Amazon's growing online market space; Tigerdirect lost the edge it had once Newegg came to the show....
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    I love them, but I'm somewhat not shocked. You have to thanks Amazon for this. They sold on Amazon too and we're normally the cheapest providers (but they have to amazon their cut).
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Loved tigerdirect and theeeennn Circuit City came along with them.. at that point they were no longer my go to store As the prices and offerings weren't that great anymore.
  • Options
    KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not really surprised by this. There's a tiger direct store around the corner from me and I went there just to see what they had about a week ago and the whole place looked like it was about to shut down. There used to be a computer repair center with techs working on building/fixing computers that was vacant with a sign that said "tech services no longer available." The rest of the store just look sort of disheveled. I may go there again in the coming week just to see if they're having any good sales. Years ago, it used to be a CompUSA and I used to love going into those stores, it was like a geeks wonderland. The end of an era.
  • Options
    SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    I'm not really surprised by this. There's a tiger direct store around the corner from me and I went there just to see what they had about a week ago and the whole place looked like it was about to shut down. There used to be a computer repair center with techs working on building/fixing computers that was vacant with a sign that said "tech services no longer available." The rest of the store just look sort of disheveled. I may go there again in the coming week just to see if they're having any good sales. Years ago, it used to be a CompUSA and I used to love going into those stores, it was like a geeks wonderland. The end of an era.

Does this happen to be the West Palm/North Lake store?
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I figure this, a couple of weeks ago everything was mark down 10% now 30 %... Ima give it a few and hopefully it will go down to 40%.