Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    richypcrichypc Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I got an email asking me to submit my resume last week, they came back asking if I was interested in scheduling an interview for Service Desk Mid position. I emailed back just cancelling the whole interview thing.

I completed my CCNA 2 yrs ago and CCNA Security 1 year ago, with only the TShoot exam to go for my CCNP which I will take in the next couple of weeks. I am not going back into a role doing help desk work, its a non-starter.

I currently fill a Jr network engineer role for the DoD with a secret clearance, and look forward to getting into a mid and senior spot over the next couple of years, last thing I need is to go off track doing service desk work which I started out doing 3 years ago, which I graduated from. The only thing holding me back is not the lack of Cisco certs, its years of experience. Jr and mid level engineers in So. Cal area working for the DoD take it around 50-80k, with seniors about 70-120k.

The way I see it the more time in spend in the network engineer role the faster I will make senior. So sidetracking for 1 yr just to make about 110k tax free is not worth the trouble of going over to Kuwait. I would've jumped all over this opportunity 4 yrs ago though.
  • Options
    Kthom236Kthom236 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Wtrwlkr,

I see you're very helpful on here. Do you know if they have any logistics or quality jobs in Kuwait where you work? I'm graduating with a degree in industrial engineering this semester and I have a six sigma green belt, itil certification, and security+ certification.

Thank you for any help
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @ richpyc, I completely understand what you mean. I'm going to start working on my CCNP next month but I can't seem to break out of the HelpDesk cycle. The money is great but the job is so mind-numbingly easy that I'm getting dull. I'm going to apply for one of the network position jobs as soon as I'm able so that maybe I can soak up some experience while I'm here. I can't see myself doing a second year of this.
  • Options
    wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kthom,

Sorry for the delayed response as I've been traveling the past few days. For logistics in kuwait, Vectrus has the KBOSS program, so apply under that.
  • Options
    sapper1sapper1 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had my tech interview on Tuesday and have been recommended for hire. However, being a husband and father of two teenagers I have to carefully weigh the options. One question I have is how is the money handled? Do setup a bank account overseas or do you have your paycheck sent to your bank state side? If you have it sent stateside how easy is it to access?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Payments were just deposited to my regular stateside account. ATMs are available, credit cards accepted, etc. You aren't out in the bush (at least not in Kuwait). Kuwait City has higher dollar shopping than most cities. Heck, probably a higher ratio of high end shopst han even Chicago or NYC
  • Options
    Kthom236Kthom236 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wtrwlk,

I appreciate the reply. Do you know if they hire women often? Do you know if logistics gets paid about the same? I have a little experience with IT. I'm trying to figure what to apply under. Also I have the contact info for a technical recruiter but I'm not sure if I should contact him directly or just apply. What do you suggest I do? What do you recommend I do in order to get my foot in the door? Thank you
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    The biggest thing with this company are certs. I know for networking you have to have at least CCNA R&S and your Security +. The security clearance is a great start as well.

Interesting thread, I will seriously consider an overseas position in the future. I currently work for a major utility, but the Nuclear power plant I work at is closing in 2019, so I may have to find something else. I have no children and may not be married for that much longer. :) I have my GSEC, but not a Security+, is Security+ still a requirement?

Thanks.
    sapper1 wrote: »
    I had my tech interview on Tuesday and have been recommended for hire.

What this an in person interview or a phone/Skype interview?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    TechGromit wrote: »
    What this an in person interview or a phone/Skype interview?

It was a phone interview with someone in Kuwait.
  • Options
    As I understand it you have to work overseas for 335 days in order to be tax exempt. Does this mean I would have to work 335 during the calendar year or just from the date of hire?
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    335 days in a 12 month period, not necessarily 335 days in year X. Even the IRS isn't mean enough to force you to do it from January 1st. :)
  • Options
    BakerselfBakerself Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know the salary ranges for Network Admin in Kuwait?
  • Options
    NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Long overdue update on my situation. I relocated at the end of November and decided to go travel for a month. Ended up declining my offer (not sure how far in the process it was as some people had started to get contacted). I wish everyone the best of luck with their process!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • Options
    Cant say much about Net Admins in Kuwait but the ones here in Afghanistan make about $120K with their uplift. I don't it's that much in Kuwait.

FYI: In case anyone was curious; I received word that my Secret Clearance Investigation was completed yesterday and now good for 10 years. All told ~4 months. Your results may vary.
  • Options
    whiteskieswhiteskies Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just for shits and giggles, not so much for the money because I am doing that already money wise. I think I am doing more. Anyway.. more so to save than anything else. My rent is 20K a year so going away working would save me 20K icon_cool.gifI went through the process. Finished dental today did medical yesterday. Just have to take 1 certification. I was given a rate of XX.XX an hour in Kuwait. Asked how much more was it in Afghanistan I was told 10-15% lower...Now what the fuk? How is the pay lower in Afghanistan? I think they factor in all the extra hazardous duty pay this and that into your salary and don't want you making more than X amount. I can't figure this out to save my life. I am confused. That crap is backwards
  • Options
    @whiteskies- It's strange how they do the math BUT Kuwait pays more per hour BUT there is no uplift whereas in Afghanistan there is (50% at the moment). Not sure why they do that but who knows. One thing about Afghanistan is that your living space and food is all provided so maybe that plays into it also?
  • Options
    Fulcrum has a good point. Free room and board saves alot of money. Also, a word of advice for those considering an offer with Vectrus, I was party to a meeting with the program manager last June. He informed us that this year (June more likely), uplift for afghanistan will drop for 50% to 40%. I didn't want to mention this before since I was still employed with them. I hope you all can accept my apology.
  • Options
    wtrwlkr

I can kinda back that up. When I was on the phone the lady said uplift NOW is 50%. I am not a complete idiot, that means that the uplift is changing.
    I don't think it should, Afghanistan is dangerous. In 2-3 years Afghanistan will get the same uplift as Kuwait. But, you can live outside of base in Kuwait you ain't "living" in any city outside of base in Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Fulcrum45,

I have thought about all of the possibilities. The recruiter did mention some other things. I really can't talk about right now. 20k+ people have visited this post and it has less than 350 posts. I don't want to say anything and give the next guy a leg up on the role I am trying to get and shoot myself in the foot. If it's two people getting screwed I would rather it be the next guy getting screwed rather than myself icon_twisted.gif. I did get some Intel, that benefited me greatly. I just can't share it. My competition might be lurking this forum icon_cool.gif. Will keep you updated soon. When I know I am 100% in the door and can't be screwed.
  • Options
    I have worked in Kuwait before. I lived off base. I worked doing security with CSA before Triple Canopy. You killed at least 2 more hours of your day in the morning going to the 5 apartment buildings picking people up and going to the 5 apartment buildings dropping them off after work. So you basically did your shift + travel time. Which sucked. Are the people in Kuwait living on or off base? If they are and people are in different buildings I feel sorry for them. Some days I just jumped in my bed and didn't wake up till the next morning. Getting 8hours worth of sleep was impossible back in the day, you still had to eat dinner. I spent plenty of money for Papa Johns delivery, believe me. I hope things have changed lol

We had 12.5 shifts. That'll make the less than 8hrs of sleep make sense if you do the calculations.
  • Options
    grizzlyburrgrizzlyburr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all! This is my first post on this thread.

Back in 2012, I applied for ITT Exelis before they were Vectrus for Help Desk position and got it, it was around 120K in Afghanistan but I didn't go forward with it after they sent me my award/offer letter. A little about me, I have 4 years (08-12) help desk experience +TS with the usaf and just completed my Bachelor's in Information Systems Mgmt this year. I have A+, Sec+ for now. I plan to get my Net+ by this Summer then MCSA by Fall. I want to apply for Sys Ad 1 but I never worked with servers. Would I qualify for the position with just my MCSA cert? I think General Dynamics is hiring for the same position in same locations but I heard they pay more with less perks. If anyone can answer my questions and give me some advice, I'd appreciate it.

- grizzlyburr icon_king.gif
  • Options
    manchildmanchild Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was deployed to Kandahar in 2011 – 2012 (Army). I worked in the NOC as part of the Direct Signal Support Team as a Net Admin. Last week, I was contacted by a Vectrus recruiter for a network administrator position in Kuwait. I sent him my resume 2 days ago.

He replied back with, “I have forwarded your resume to the Cyber Center Team and hiring manager. When I receive their recommendation, I will then call and email you to set up a phone interview for a skill set based on your qualifications, and experience.”

I hope this turns into something. I’m kind of excited about the idea of going back to Kuwait or Afghanistan.
  • Options
    I should clarify my statement about the uplift. Vectrus is cutting it, not the government. Most companies are still paying their folks 70%.
  • Options
    The recruiter from Vectrus responded. I have a phone interview tomorrow. Said its a technical interview lasting about 30 - 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Had a technical phone interview this morning, it was 30 questions and lasted about 35 minutes.
  • Options
    @manchild- Awesome to hear. Maybe I'll see you out here soon :)
  • Options
    @Fulcrum45

Maybe lol. I read one of your earlier posts about being a husband and father. I know it's going to hit me hard if I follow through with everything. The last time I was out there I was a single soldier, living the dream. lol SN: Is the poo pond still out there at KAF
  • Options
    @Fulcrum45

Maybe, It gonna be hard leaving the wife and kiddies though
  • Options
    @Manchild- Same here. Last time I was deployed in Iraq I was single. Not the case now as I mentioned before. I can say that the internet here is reliable enough to make video chat feasible so that helps. The Poo Pond? I can honestly say I havent looked, lol. I havent explored much since I've been out here but from what I hear it's been dried up. Boardwalk is a skeleton of its former self as well.
  • Options
    I received an offer letter yesterday afternoon. I responded with a counter-offer earlier this morning. We'll see what happens.