Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    w1retapw1retap Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    curtisc83 wrote: »
    I contracted in Iraq and the Stan before but only had a secret so upward mobility was limited. I actually took my federal position to get a TS/SCI, this was so I could gun for the good positions overseas. I've never had to get my secret sponsored by a company since I had one coming out of the army but I've always thought any company would sponsor a secret for someone that didn't have one. Does that not happen nowadays?

There may be some that do, but it seems that most ads that I run across they want you having the Secret before applying. Vectrus is one of the very few that actively states something along the lines they'll get one, but I've seen more ads on there now saying 'Secret clearance required at start date'
  • Options
    MagniciousMagnicious Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah I actually switched jobs in the reserves just so I could upgrade my clearance.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are contractors allowed to use the exchange/commissary and gyms in Kuwait? I finally got a email back, explaining that if the people oversea's like my qual's, I'll get a callback to move forward. icon_cheers.gif
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    jeromelongjjeromelongj Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have any of you ladies or gentlemen not had a passport before applying? I'm just wondering how fast the turnaround for it is. Thank you. I already have a clearance so I'm applying to the big contractors.
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have any of you ladies or gentlemen not had a passport before applying? I'm just wondering how fast the turnaround for it is. Thank you. I already have a clearance so I'm applying to the big contractors.

Mine expired April of this year. I started applying to stuff a few weeks ago without a good one. I just went to one of those get your passport fast companies and got a new one in a week. Otherwise the normal method is slow even if you are using the expedited method.
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    Anyone have any info on how life is in Iraq? I spoke to a recruiter and thats where I may end up. She didnt tell me where.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    atran35atran35 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Are contractors allowed to use the exchange/commissary and gyms in Kuwait? I finally got a email back, explaining that if the people oversea's like my qual's, I'll get a callback to move forward. icon_cheers.gif

Yes. You are.
  • Options
    atran35atran35 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone have any info on how life is in Iraq? I spoke to a recruiter and thats where I may end up. She didnt tell me where.

I worked at Basra US Consulate. Smaller base. Guys were out doing cross-fit and sunbathing.
  • Options
    Had a presumptive offer for Kuwait from 5 rivers. The job doesn't seem worth the pay.
  • Options
    Appreciate the info atran.

jeromelongj? I also had a call from them for a position in Kandahar, but didnt take it. They said I only needed my A+ for the jobconfused.pngicon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif

However, got a call from another company, but they said I needed my Sec+ to even be considered.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Someone told me today the Iraqi government now has a 15% income tax on US contractors. The whole thing seems odd but given how corrupt Iraq is I can belive it. Anyone heard about this or has experienced it themselves?

• Options
    I got told the same thing in my Offer letter...
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    I got told the same thing in my Offer letter...

So do you eat that cost or does your company reimburse you?

• Options
    [FONT=&amp]Tax Information

FICA and Medicare will be withheld from total earnings (including salary, XXXX provided housing/vehicle and any other elements of pay or benefits determined to be taxable compensation by the Internal Revenue Code). You may qualify for a certain income tax exemptions or deductions provided certain conditions are met. As your personal tax situation is your responsibility, we recommend you consult a tax advisor or visit http: //www .irs.gov for further information.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Under Iraqi law, XXXXX is required to withhold income taxes from employees working in Iraq. We recommend you consult a U.S. tax advisor for further details on the possibility of claiming foreign income tax withholdings when filing U.S. tax returns. This information is subject to change. Please consult HR for further details.
    [/FONT]
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    I emailed my recruiter and he said the below via email. I took off the names and email addresses for privacy concerns.

We heard that too, but have not seen it in any of the contracts.

If something like that is imposed we will make it right. No way we let hadji take 15% from our guys down range.

GDIT

Sent: Sunday, July 31, 2016 11:49:56 AM
    Subject: Re: Update

I was talking to a friend and was told the Iraqi gov has a tax for US contractors. Something like 15% of your income. Is that true?

Curtis

• Options
    Hahaha,

Looks like I get to keep my bonus after all.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Kuwait was 85000 a year for 56 hours a week. This wasn't Vecturus itself though, it was a a subcontractor. The job just doesn't seem worth it to me.
  • Options
    devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Kuwait was 85000 a year for 56 hours a week. This wasn't Vecturus itself though, it was a a subcontractor. The job just doesn't seem worth it to me.
    Is that with all of the haz pay and uplift?
  • Options
    joshmadakorjoshmadakor Member Posts: 495 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That seems a little low with the OT. Was the rate something like $28/Hr with OT@1.5x? I don't believe Kuwait has danger pay and has a low hardship pay, so that may have contributed to the lowish salary.

Check out this salary calculator I made which takes into consideration overtime, hardship, and danger differential:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xKYJPlsma-yLCOD7whRto-nrJqk2pXZeXpMsbmwy4ww

Make a copy for yourself and you should be able to edit it and enter in your own values

Also, check out danger and hardship pay per country here:
    https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/danger_pay_all.asp
    https://aoprals.state.gov/Web920/hardship.asp
    WGU B.S. Information Technology (Completed January 2013)
  • Options
    Maybe someone knows here but has anyone know anyone in Iraq Post withdrawal era that flew a personal drone around to take pics and videos? I'm into drone flying as a hobby and bringing mine would be a great opportunity to get some amazing pictures and video of Iraq I couldn't do when I was deployed there before.

• Options
    The salary was just quoted to me at 85000. I'm not sure because if OT is included honestly. I probably should of said this was with 5 rivers, not Vectures. Also. I had to get one of these certs: • MCP: Microsoft Certified Professional • MTA: Microsoft Technology Associate (Any) • MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows Server 2008 • MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows 7 • MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 • MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician • MCITP: Server Administrator • MCITP: Systems Administrator • MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Certified) • MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator • MCT: Microsoft Certified IT Professional • MCT: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator • MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (config) • MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration • Server +
  • Options
    The salary was just quoted to me at 85000. I'm not sure because if OT is included honestly. I probably should of said this was with 5 rivers, not Vectures. Also. I had to get one of these certs: • MCP: Microsoft Certified Professional • MTA: Microsoft Technology Associate (Any) • MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows Server 2008 • MCSA: Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate: Windows 7 • MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 • MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician • MCITP: Server Administrator • MCITP: Systems Administrator • MCITP: Windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (Certified) • MCITP: Windows Server 2008 R2, Virtualization Administrator • MCT: Microsoft Certified IT Professional • MCT: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator • MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory (config) • MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration • Server +

Seems like shitty pay but I don't know what the going rate for stuff in Kuwait is now. I'm assuming this is a secret level postion so maybe that's just the going rate in Kuwait.

• Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Yes, "some" companies are taking out taxes, a very small percentage of companies are. When I mean small I mean I could probably count them on my 1 hand. I am only talking from experience. I haven't heard of 15% I know Vectrus and some other random names are doing 10% taxes in Iraq. I haven't talked to one single person who was able to get the money back. The US (IRS) is not going to reimburse you for tax you paid to Iraq, out of all places.
  • Options
    Truth be told Fiver Rivers is like a spin off of Vectrus. Vectrus and Five Rivers employees work hand and hand. Long story short if you go to the Vectrus and Fiver Rievers websites the job descriptions are exactly the same, why? Because they are both filling for the same positions. So one company may pay a little more but the job/location is no different.

What people have to understand is that in Kuwait, it's not hazardous. You live in a decent apartment on the economy. You have all the malls and probably every US restaurant you can think of. Like I mentioned somewhere being in Kuwait is like being in the states. I will speak for Vectrus/Five Rivers, nobody is going to pay you these extreme 6-figure salaries to live in Kuwait in an apartment and drive the company vehicle to work everyday. I glance at these discussions every now and then but attempt not to respond. I say attempt not to respond because 85% of the questions were already answered in the pages of posts.

If you're looking for extreme 6 -figure salaries go to Iraq. If you don't have the kahaonas to go to Iraq don't complain about the money. Living in Kuwait is like when I stayed in Arizona no difference sand, hot, vehicle, desert, etc. Iraq is 70% uplift, you are not getting extreme uplift in Kuwait where you have an apartment, vehicle, malls, live amongst the locals, don't carry a weapon, and can walk around in the city day and night. Think about that :) And the word extreme 6-figures is debatable even in Iraq. It's people over here making over 200K. But you can't have a Help Desk background and the CompTia Trio, any Microsoft Exam that's not MCSE and think you're getting paid 200k. Let's just be honest. They need people but they aren't desperate nor stupid. Although I know one company who is paying about that for Sys. Admin/Service Desk but I can't say.

If you're in Iraq at a new base or a base that's short and working 12hrs a day 7 days you'll make the most money. I am not going to say the exact figure but it's more than 150k (after taxes). Take into consideration you probably won't be short handed for an entire year.

If you decide to take the offer with Vectrus, from a person who was/is with Vectrus ( I can't say). Don't tell other contractors how much you make unless you want hurt feelings and someone to potentially laugh at you.
  • Options
    Maybe someone knows here but has anyone know anyone in Iraq Post withdrawal era that flew a personal drone around to take pics and videos? I'm into drone flying as a hobby and bringing mine would be a great opportunity to get some amazing pictures and video of Iraq I couldn't do when I was deployed there before.

Personally I haven't seen a (store bought) drone in Kuwait/Iraq. Nor am i sure of the laws. Since you mentioned Iraq and will not be staying off post I doubt it's acceptable. You have all these Intel/Special Operation compounds and "agencies" that are here that people know/don't know about. I doubt a flying object that unbeknownst to the owner took a pic of a cleared facility/individual would go well, especially if you have a clearance. It's so much secret squirrel stuff going on that I wouldn't risk it. Those pictures might be classified. You don't know who works in that building you got a picture of. You don't know who knew that building existed. Just because it's a wall around it it could be a vehicle storage lot as far as I know. Then again it could be a CIA compound. They have all of these walls and barriers that prevent you from seeing on the other side of them for a reason.You don't know who that gentleman in shorts and sandals and a t-shirt works for. From a security perspective I wouldn't do it. That's just me.
  • Options
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    Personally I haven't seen a (store bought) drone in Kuwait/Iraq. Nor am i sure of the laws. Since you mentioned Iraq and will not be staying off post I doubt it's acceptable. You have all these Intel/Special Operation compounds and "agencies" that are here that people know/don't know about. I doubt a flying object that unbeknownst to the owner took a pic of a cleared facility/individual would go well, especially if you have a clearance. It's so much secret squirrel stuff going on that I wouldn't risk it. Those pictures might be classified. You don't know who works in that building you got a picture of. You don't know who knew that building existed. Just because it's a wall around it it could be a vehicle storage lot as far as I know. Then again it could be a CIA compound. They have all of these walls and barriers that prevent you from seeing on the other side of them for a reason.You don't know who that gentleman in shorts and sandals and a t-shirt works for. From a security perspective I wouldn't do it. That's just me.

Counter argument.......

Or they will be totally cool with it and we will all live happily ever after.

• Options
    Counter argument.......

Or they will be totally cool with it and we will all live happily ever after.

LOL

Who is "they"? I don't know who they are and I am pretty sure you don't know who they are. You going to go knocking on random buildings of coalition forces asking if they mind if you fly your drone and take pics/video of them? lol This is funny. I needed a good laugh. I am going to bed. Good night. I'll come back in a few weeks to answer some more repetitive questions.
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    I would be 99% NO. OPSEC.
  • Options
    My recruiter is going to ask the SOCCENT guys about the drone. Pretty sure the answer will be no but it doesn't hurt to ask.

The Iraq tax thing is being discussed on the military satcom FB page. Here is what someone said.

If you do not claim "Taxes" in the foreign country, and also do not claim residency (eg. SOFA), you are not legally allowed to claim Foreign Income Exclusion in the US. Look on the form 2555 under line 13. I would caution most people that they do pay taxes of some form (eg. You flew in and paid a tax on the airport. Or here in Bahrain they have a GOSI tax.) If you claim Foreign Earned Income, or Foreign Housing Exclusion, you cannot claim the Foreign Tax Credit. See instructions for Form 1116. As for the Iraq 15%. The law actually reads that anyone who has a contract inside Iraq, or has a signatory in Iraq, is required to pay the 15%. A person doing a contract with a US company does not fall under that category. Basically, the company is passing along a tax to a contractor unfairly. Make sure you are paying the tax in Dollars, then claim it on your 1040 as a business expense at the end of the year. It will cause your company to refile their taxes in the USA, and force them to stop the shenanigans. Don't take my word for it, call a CPA that knows the laws.

• Options
    Basically, the company is passing along a tax to a contractor unfairly. Make sure you are paying the tax in Dollars, then claim it on your 1040 as a business expense at the end of the year. It will cause your company to refile their taxes in the USA, and force them to stop the shenanigans. Don't take my word for it, call a CPA that knows the laws.

Sweet

Good find, I wonder if anyone has done this and can confirm. I'll ask a CPA if I can find one that is knowledgeable on this subject.
    Kindly doing the needful