Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    That is code for "they lost your sh*t"
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • MRUP10MRUP10 Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea, I agree Kali. Sucks @ss
  • PlayapatrolPlayapatrol Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Vectrus cold contacted me twice in one week. Nowhere online do I indicate I want to work overseas. I have a current clearance and experience working IT on military bases. The first guy, Mohammed, would not provide any information via email without data mining me on the phone first. The second hasn't responded to my request for pay rates, hours and days worked. These jobs are in Afghan, Iraq and Kuwait.
    Robmcgrady in any job search you want to apply everywhere to all the defense contractors listed in this thread. as well have your resume on dice. I've found monster and career builder to be terrible spam machines. You can quit an overseas job and switch but it will be expensive. Your employer might take a big chunk of money, your housing and visa away.
  • mrjuly22mrjuly22 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have type 1 diabetes and have an insulin pump so im mobile lol. it is managed but will that stop me from passing medical exam since i have received my offer letter from Vectrus for a position in Kuwait
  • joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not sure how up to date this information is, but I would suspect you might have a problem, mrjuly22.

"THE FOLLOWING PHYSICAL CONDITIONS WILL NOT BE CLEARED FOR DEPLOYMENT. (Please see the form below)
    Special Circumstances

Body Mass Index of greater than or equal to 40.
    Untreated Sleep Apnea or BiPAP use.
    + HIV Results
    Active Tuberculosis
    Diabetes Type 1 and Type 2 with insulin use."
  • Pog2111Pog2111 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know the pay for a Small Arms Technician
    How much salary should I request for a Sr Systems Administrator expat role in Norway with Lockheed Martin?
    Two foreign recruiters from Vectrus cold contacted spammed me in one month. Nowhere online does it say I'm looking for overseas work. I asked both these questions: pay rate, location, housing, benefits, number of hours per day/week.
    Both said I need to get quizzed on the phone (to lowball me in salary) in order to get any info. They asked for my resume. I told them they have my resume, that's how they spammed me and I'm not going to answer how much I'm making and how much I want before they give me a pay rate. No doubt another Vectrus foreign recruiter will spam me again soon.
    To the guy who asked about sysadmin work: $100/hour is reasonable for Norway. Norway is one of the more expensive countries in the world.
    Some of the replies here are asking if its worth taking a lousy job to get a clearance. That's what I did. I thought that once I had a clearance I'd be making big money. The reality is that a clearance only allows you to apply for and accept a job that requires a clearance. It doesn't increase your earnings vs a non clearance job with some exceptions. I know people working in IT in California with a Secret clearance making $15/hour. Granted those are low level jobs with minimal certs and experience. It takes a lot of education, in demand skills, experience and certs, along with a top secret or higher to break $100,000 (without overtime) as a contractor in the US. Of course some other countries will pay more for hardship and long hours etc. Please chime in with other examples. If you want to work in an area with lots of US defense industry jobs or at a defense contractor then having a clearance is a big advantage. In most of corporate America and in most IT jobs it isn't. There are many people that have clearances or can get cleared easily. I would say that if you only have to work at a lousy job for a few months to get the clearance go for it. Then leave for a better job.
    Thanks for the info Playapatrol, I only requested ~150k so that should be reasonable.
  • DiscordDiscord Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MRUP10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Playapatrol, I only requested ~150k so that should be reasonable.

Man, I dunno - LM tends to undercut when bidding on contracts in order to make it on the back end with contract mods. Most positions that are in areas which are not in or right near a warzone they tend to pay near stateside wages (ie, outside the middle east). Of course that tax free "benefit" is what they factor into things too.
  • Leonardo FantasticoLeonardo Fantastico Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ...In most of corporate America and in most IT jobs it isn't...

In my opinion, jobs and pay are way down on the Operate & Maintain side of IT all across the board. I agree with Eli the Computer Guy
    I see that OPM has ran my credit check. I am currently at 123 days since E-qip submission. Anyone have any idea on how far along my clearance process is..? Thanks in advance!
    When your references start getting phone calls and you been interviewed, then your "close"
    Reading
  • atippettatippett Member Posts: 154
    I got my interim secret in 2 months. Then, it took me 5 more months to get my interview for full secret. It's been 2 months after my full secret interview, and still no word.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately for Military) civilians take a back seat to active duty military and important job potions in government. Unless you have a super secret XXL job, you are at the bottom of the barrel. OPM is back logged like a mug, they don't do first come first served.
    Reading
    When your references start getting phone calls and you been interviewed, then your "close"

What about for interim clearance?
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    In my opinion, jobs and pay are way down on the Operate & Maintain side of IT all across the board. I agree with Eli the Computer Guy

I would disagree with Eli on this one. Lots more developer/programmer jobs being sent overseas for cheaper than admin/engineer jobs. Eli is a cool guy with some good points but remember that while he does have some great marketing and an awesome YouTube channel, I believe his day job has been owning a computer repair shop for some time. While there is nothing wrong with this, I think he's probably seen struggles in that market that admins/engineers aren't. To put it into perspective, I've seen a lot more openings for system/network engineers/admins on Dice, Indeed, Monster, etc than I see for programmers or developers. Eli is also one of those folks that thought SDN was coming to steal everyone's jobs. In all due respect to him, I just haven't seen the market reflecting his fears and I think he's wrong on those points
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□

How is it an opinion that salaries+jobs are down? They either are, or they aren't. Do you have any real information to illustrate this?
    The focus has changed over time with technology, but there will always be a need for O&M unless they can somehow sell you a Black Box that runs 24x7, and has perfect service to the customer right out of the box, never runs out of space and is affordable...which won't be happening anytime soon, if at all.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What about for interim clearance?

An interim can be granted by the agency's security people so goes a lot quicker.

Salaries are highly dependent on location, specialty and industry so a statement like "jobs and pay are way down" is like asserting that vanilla is the best flavor of ice cream. Supporting data is always helpful.
    EANx wrote: »
    An interim can be granted by the agency's security people so goes a lot quicker.

Thanks EANx, My credit was pulled by OPM recently, is that a sign that an interim determination will be made soon in the near future. I at about 125 days since submission to the Government. Thanks!
    Thanks EANx, My credit was pulled by OPM recently, is that a sign that an interim determination will be made soon in the near future. I at about 125 days since submission to the Government. Thanks!

It's hard to tell because they go by a case by case bases. Credit report is only one determining factor out of many.

Read this, have fun https://www.opm.gov/investigations/background-investigations/reference/decision-making-guide.pdf
    Reading
    Like I said, the agency could grant the interim. I have seen an interim granted the same day the person's paperwork cleared HR and I have seen a person languish eight months. Same agency. Ultimately, the decision lays within the agency on how long the regular process needs to go before they are comfortable granting the interim. Unfortunately, there's no rule-of-thumb.
    Thanks Kali! That document was a good read give me hope that I should be eligible for interim.
    EANx wrote: »
    Like I said, the agency could grant the interim. I have seen an interim granted the same day the person's paperwork cleared HR and I have seen a person languish eight months. Same agency. Ultimately, the decision lays within the agency on how long the regular process needs to go before they are comfortable granting the interim. Unfortunately, there's no rule-of-thumb.

OK, thanks for the insight EANx.
    I would stay in contact with your recruiter and security manager if you have access to them, just so theyou don't forget about you.
    Reading
    OK, so my current manager received a questionnaire today in regards to my clearance. Not sure how far along that puts me but atleast I know the process is moving credit pulled by OPM last week, questionnaire to my manager this week.
  • Texan-SpursTexan-Spurs Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all - I learn a lot of things from this thread - Going to Kuwait for Network admin