Options

Anyone ever deal with overseas jobs with the company Vectrus?

Comments

• Options
    aljaha2aljaha2 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    That's not a bad idea BUT be warned- you'll have to repeat a lot of the steps you've already done. I've applied to another company to work out in the Pacific but it feels like starting the whole process all over again. You MAY need to get a new physical and dental exam and of course a lot of additional paperwork. This isn't to dissuade you from looking elsewhere but just wanted to let you know since we both seem to have a difficult time navigating all of this around our work schedule. You can IM me if you have any specific questions also.

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifughhhhh! Yea, you're probably correct. Thanks Fulcrum45
  • Options
    Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    On a brighter note: Vectrus called me this morning. Looks like I'm on my way!
  • Options

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations, that's awesome news.
  • Options
    HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□

NICE!!!! You should start a thread to archive the experience. Which country did you end up with?
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • Options
    NICE!!!! You should start a thread to archive the experience. Which country did you end up with?

I'm heading back to Afghanistan. Not sure where exactly but we'll see. I may keep notes this time around and look at posting into a new thread. I don't think anyone expected this thread to take off the way it did :)
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Currently there is a "Cyber Security Information Technician II" opening in "Naval Supply Systems Command Fleet Logistics Center Bahrain"

it is on indeed.
  • Options
    So does anyone that's gone thru the entire process with Vectrus know roughly how long of a wait time there is when the Vectrus recruiter tells you "currently no position available, we are expecting positions available soon in the near future, please hang tight"? I'm currently waiting in the "Ready to Deploy" status.

Wanted to know if there was any sort of average wait time. I know it depends on the position, etc.. but was wondering if there was an average wait time (days, weeks, months). I was cleared (medical/dental) towards the end of January.
  • Options
    aljaha2 wrote: »
    So does anyone that's gone thru the entire process with Vectrus know roughly how long of a wait time there is when the Vectrus recruiter tells you "currently no position available, we are expecting positions available soon in the near future, please hang tight"? I'm currently waiting in the "Ready to Deploy" status.

Wanted to know if there was any sort of average wait time. I know it depends on the position, etc.. but was wondering if there was an average wait time (days, weeks, months). I was cleared (medical/dental) towards the end of January.

While I was waiting my recruiter informed me that openings could occur on any given day. I ended up waiting almost a month before I got the call.
  • Options
    While I was waiting my recruiter informed me that openings could occur on any given day. I ended up waiting almost a month before I got the call.

Thanks Fulcrum45, I was hoping to get multiple responses from folks in the forum to get some sort of an average. I'm thinking it may be a month before I get the notification. Until then, I'll continue to wait in line.
  • Options
    SyntheticMeSyntheticMe Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

I got the offer, accepted it, completed e-QIP and finger prints in the 1st week of January. I've read the whole dang tread. I couldn't put it down.

Other then second guessing how fast my clearance request will go though and will I have a spot when it does, I have only a couple of questions.

I was told I'd be in Kuwait.

1. Is it better to be on the night shift or the day shift? It's brutal in the dessert by day and chilly at night, so I've been told. Opinions?
    2. Has anyone purchased or ridden a motorcycle during off hours and gotten the local driving permits?

This tread is actually gold. I want to thank WTRWLKR, LittleBIT, advanex1, GirlyGirl, Fulcrum45, aljaha2, xxxkaliboyxx and many others for all the honest advice and opinions.
  • Options
    GirlyGirlGirlyGirl Member Posts: 219
    Hi all,

I got the offer, accepted it, completed e-QIP and finger prints in the 1st week of January. I've read the whole dang tread. I couldn't put it down.

Other then second guessing how fast my clearance request will go though and will I have a spot when it does, I have only a couple of questions.

1. Is it better to be on the night shift or the day shift? It's brutal in the dessert by day and chilly at night, so I've been told. Opinions?
    2. Has anyone purchased or ridden a motorcycle during off hours and gotten the local driving permits?

This tread is actually gold. I want to thank WTRWLKR, LittleBIT, advanex1, GirlyGirl, Fulcrum45, aljaha2, xxxkaliboyxx and many others for all the honest advice and opinions.

Since you mentioned me name and 5 tears almost rolled down my face I'll respond.

The short answer is it depends.

I worked in Kuwait (Camp Arifjan) and Iraq. I am not sure how many seasons Kuwait gets, but the country gets hot and the country get cold. I would say it's colder at night when the temperatures drop.

What has to be taken into consideration is, you work inside. The only time you go outside is coming/leaving work, the gym if you see fit, DFAC, and IF you have to go troublehshoot at another location. That is a big IF. For instance, if it's cold outside the most I spend outside is walking back and forth to a vehicle and for food. You have vehicles, Vectrus owned vehicles...although people use them like they own them and they are difficult to find when you need them. They do exist. Take into consideration anyone can drive on post. The rumor has it you have to attend a course to drive on base. That is not true. I got pulled over on base and gave my stateside drivers license no problem. Some people enforce it some people don't. Not the military police, they don't care but Vectrus or/and your department.

Night shift will always be slower. The majority of customers you support work days. So, I wouldn't say it matters. You are not getting night shift differential no matter what shift you are on. So, that doesn't make a difference either. If my roommate was on days I am quite sure I would want to be on nights.

Back in the day, when I worked in Kuwait I knew a person or two with a motorcycle. Not recently. Not sure if its changed.

The entire process for getting a motorcycle will take you months. You have to get immunizations and Kuwait residency. That process will take you until the 6 month mark. A little more a little less. I remember going and getting a back scan in some hole-in-the-wall part of town with some not so interesting dirty smelling people. It was something else involved in the medical facility but I am glad it's permanently erased from my memory.

-When you arrive you'll get a 90-day visa. You can drive on a 90-day visa in Kuwait with insurance. You can also purchase insurance at the airport. The insurance booth has the most unbelievable hours. So, it's a 50/50 they will be open when you arrive. It's also hotels in Kuwait that have rental offices where you can rent cars with airport insurance or buying insurance with them. One is in Mahboula. Where Vectrus employees stay should be a 2 or 3kd taxi ride. If you want to walk and car pool help yourself! Not I! Google Maps was my primary mode for navigation. It works in Kuwait. Get a rental car and hit the road. The malls. It's an app called Waves, I think I spelled it right. But, I was in Bahrain and it lost signal. So, that app is not trustworthy, yes I had internet. What I suggest is going to your nearest AAA and getting an international drivers license before you leave. Kuwait is filled with speed cameras. But, pay attention. It's a sign stating that speed cameras are ahead. So, IF you are paying attention, you slow down before reaching it then speed back up if you so desire. It's also an app that tells you where speed cameras are. I have driven passed Kuwait Police 20 times speeding. I have never and I know nobody who has ever been pulled over for speeding off base. Not saying it doesn't happen. On base is a different story.

I would not suggest a motorcycle. people drive crazy, cut you off like its downtown DC, and have no respect for human life. I am not saying I have never pushed the gas pedal all the way to the floor a few times, because I have and I enjoyed it. Don't you judge me. But, accidents are common. I have seen dead bodies laying in the street from accidents... more than once.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Hi all,

Good Morning SyntheticMe,

Thanks for the shoutout :) and congrats on your offer. I've finished all the requirements and per my vectrus recruiter I am ready to deploy (interim clearance granted, employment check passed, occumed medical/dental exams cleared, all "6" vaccinations taken). At this point per vectrus I'm just waiting for the position to become available again which per vectrus can be at any give time. It's almost been 30 days since I was cleared by occumed, so I'm hoping to get notified by the end of this month regarding my CRC date. The position I'm waiting for is the Service Desk Admin, what position did you apply for if you don't mind me asking?

aljaha2
  • Options
    DonklanderDonklander Member Posts: 47 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi all,

1) Depends. It does get hot during the days, but more than likely you won't be outside much. So temperature isn't really a factor. Nights however are extremely slow instead of just mostly slow (of course, depends on where you get placed)

2) I really don't recommend riding a bike over here. Unless you plan on riding during VERY odd hours, it's unsafe enough as it is driving a car. Though I have seen bike clubs occasionally, so if you can find an crowd for that, maybe they have an idea of where/when to ride.
  • Options
    SyntheticMeSyntheticMe Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aljaha2 wrote: »
    Good Morning SyntheticMe,

Thanks for the shoutout :) and congrats on your offer. I've finished all the requirements and per my vectrus recruiter I am ready to deploy (interim clearance granted, employment check passed, occumed medical/dental exams cleared, all "6" vaccinations taken). At this point per vectrus I'm just waiting for the position to become available again which per vectrus can be at any give time. It's almost been 30 days since I was cleared by occumed, so I'm hoping to get notified by the end of this month regarding my CRC date. The position I'm waiting for is the Service Desk Admin, what position did you apply for if you don't mind me asking?

aljaha2

It will be for Sysadmin 1 and as of this morning the interim clearance has been granted.
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

I've spent four years in five different countries in the ME, there isn't a single one I would suggest is safe for a single motorcycle rider. Some of these countries have main roads that are more dangerous for bikes than a rainy New Year's Eve night in the US.
  • Options
    Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello TECHEXAMS nation! my Secret was granted to me yesterday. Total wait time was 8 months & 15 days. Now waiting on my medical test then I will be put in " Ready to Deploy" queue. WAITING IS OVER!! SO HAPPY :D
  • Options
    mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Shuaib2016 wrote: »
    Now waiting on my medical test then I will be put in " Ready to Deploy" queue.
    Welcome to the ready to deploy queue line #1,001 It's a long list from what i hear.

The demand is not the same as it once was.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• Options
    Shuaib2016Shuaib2016 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Welcome to the ready to deploy queue line #1,001 It's a long list from what i hear.

Thank you! LOL. No rush! I have a job currently, will keep it until I get deployed.
  • Options
    mikey88 wrote: »

LOL Mikey88, you speak nothing but truth, cause I'm in that line currently! Since we are talking about the "Ready to Deploy" queue line, have you or anyone else on this thread waited so long (over 90 days) that you were required to do the OccuMed examinations over again? I was told by the Vectrus recruiter that the OccuMed examinations are good for 90 days after which need to be taken again.

Anyone, anyone, bueller......bueller??????
  • Options
    oski252oski252 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just accepted a job for [FONT=&quot]ADPE TECHNICIAN I in Afghanistan last night! Completed all of the initial task this morning. [/FONT]
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Had my first interview this past week. Technical interview is next week. Anyone have any idea what a Vuln mgmt Analyst pulls down in Kuwait?
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Had my first interview this past week. Technical interview is next week. Anyone have any idea what a Vuln mgmt Analyst pulls down in Kuwait?

This was in the last 5 years. I would hope that this information has changed somewhat. I heard the bonus has increased. All of this is just rumors. BUT, the numbers don't like. A simple copy and paste. I would hope that the numbers, hours, or bonus has changed some. No disrespect to anyone, but Vectrus is/was the starting point for a lot of IT folks in the Middle East. Vectrus is known for two things:
    1. Low Pay
    2. Getting people who never had a clearance a clearance.

Hourly Rate: The hourly rate will be $33.78 based on a 56our workweek. This hourly rate does not include overtime pay. For the
    first 45 calendar days of your employment, you will receive a reduced hourly rate equal to 75% of the $33.78. After 45 calendar days
    of employment, you will receive the full $33.78.
    Overtime: You understand that your 56our work week will include overtime hours (hours worked in excess of the standard 40 hour
    work week). You consent to work these overtime hours. Additional overtime in excess of your 56ork week may be required based on
    the needs of the program and upon the approval of the Government customer. You consent to work this additional overtime up to a
    maximum 84 hour work week (with a maximum of 40 hours of overtime per week). Overtime will be paid in accordance with
    Company policy.
    During Ramadan, you consent to work your normal 40 hour workweek and will receive overtime pay for any hours worked over 36
    per workweek. Overtime hours worked in excess of the 36 hour workweek will be paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Vacation: Up to 240 hours per year, accrued monthly.
    Holidays: Paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Sick Leave: Paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Housing and Transportation: Company provided (housing stipend may be available), shared.
    Meals: Not provided.
    Shipping: Up to the reimbursable limit of $314.00.
    Airfare: Economy airfare from U.S. Home of Record or U.S. Point of Recruitment to CRC. Deployment to work location will be
    via Military Aircraft. Return air transportation will be provided in the same manner in accordance with Company policy.
    Vacation Allowance**: $3,000.00 paid in two installments: $1,500.00 paid at 6 months of employment and $1,500.00 paid at 12
    months of employment.
    Completion Bonus**: $2,000.00 paid at the end of the Term of Employment

• Options

You are going to have the most (Creditable and respected) certifications than anyone on the team. Probably anyone in the building. Probably most people with Vectrus in SouthWest Asia. CISSP, and GPEN stuck out. No comment on the CompTia stuff. Usually getting those types of jobs, like the one you will hopefully be offered were filled with people from the Service Desk/ADPE/System Administrators. Just FYI. Vectrus is known for doing internal job placements. I respected it. Hiring internally is great. You will find that a lot of people do it. A lot. So, a lot of people start at the Service Desk then BOOM they are Cyber Security Professionals running Nessus all day. BAM.

CompTia and Microsoft are the norm. Cisco as well. People will have those certs. Don't ask me how they got them. If you only had 1500 bucks a year and wanted to get MCSE ...use your imagination. Of course people "study" for certifications. Sure they do........................................................................................icon_profileleft.gif. Don't disrespect my intelligence and I won't disrespect yours.

I hope this has changed but I doubt it.

Vectrus only paid $1500 towards professional development. So...I know a respected boot camp doesn't cost $1500, it costs more. I know because I have attended more than one. So, boot camps are out of the question. The most you can do is get reimbursed for a certification exam. $1,500 is crap for professional development. You can't even take one college class. icon_rolleyes.gifThen it's some document that states the reimbursement has to be aligned with your job. Something to give them a reason for you not to get certs.. You dang sure won't get an education with that.

I would look for bigger companies to jump to when opportunities open up. Or just companies that exist that you might be a sub for a bigger company. Either way, the money will be higher. You are doing yourself a disservice to stay with Vectrus with CISSP and GPEN. I will even add Security+ because this is the DOD world. Some of those bigger companies are on the forum. I know some but I am looking at applying for a particular position if it ever comes out so I am not telling you. Not even going to lie. The ones posted on this board I'll never look into again. They have been compromised.
  • Options

haha. Depends. Is this for the position at SWACC?

If so, I just interviewed for it last week. Those seats are ALWAYS open and not sure why, but we'll find out soon.Though I'm 99% sure it's a different Technical Interview than the one I had. (The one I had were less technical and more policy)

But Vectrus interviews I've had (and seen) are on the easier side, as long as you know the subject. Only saying that because there are A LOT of people here that obviously braindumped.
  • Options
    GirlyGirl wrote: »
    This was in the last 5 years. I would hope that this information has changed somewhat. I heard the bonus has increased. All of this is just rumors. BUT, the numbers don't like. A simple copy and paste. I would hope that the numbers, hours, or bonus has changed some. No disrespect to anyone, but Vectrus is/was the starting point for a lot of IT folks in the Middle East. Vectrus is known for two things:
    1. Low Pay
    2. Getting people who never had a clearance a clearance.

Hourly Rate: The hourly rate will be $33.78 based on a 56our workweek. This hourly rate does not include overtime pay. For the
    first 45 calendar days of your employment, you will receive a reduced hourly rate equal to 75% of the $33.78. After 45 calendar days
    of employment, you will receive the full $33.78.
    Overtime: You understand that your 56our work week will include overtime hours (hours worked in excess of the standard 40 hour
    work week). You consent to work these overtime hours. Additional overtime in excess of your 56ork week may be required based on
    the needs of the program and upon the approval of the Government customer. You consent to work this additional overtime up to a
    maximum 84 hour work week (with a maximum of 40 hours of overtime per week). Overtime will be paid in accordance with
    Company policy.
    During Ramadan, you consent to work your normal 40 hour workweek and will receive overtime pay for any hours worked over 36
    per workweek. Overtime hours worked in excess of the 36 hour workweek will be paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Vacation: Up to 240 hours per year, accrued monthly.
    Holidays: Paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Sick Leave: Paid in accordance with Company policy.
    Housing and Transportation: Company provided (housing stipend may be available), shared.
    Meals: Not provided.
    Shipping: Up to the reimbursable limit of $314.00.
    Airfare: Economy airfare from U.S. Home of Record or U.S. Point of Recruitment to CRC. Deployment to work location will be
    via Military Aircraft. Return air transportation will be provided in the same manner in accordance with Company policy.
    Vacation Allowance**: $3,000.00 paid in two installments: $1,500.00 paid at 6 months of employment and $1,500.00 paid at 12
    months of employment.
    Completion Bonus**: $2,000.00 paid at the end of the Term of Employment

Hey! Internal job placement is me. I started off doing Networking and move into SWACC next week.

You're also spot on the "studying for certifications" still. I watched a guy across me scroll through brain **** for weeks, and another magically passed Linux+ and CEH in the span of a month when he struggled (and failed) Sec+ the first time and then failed CISSP.

Also, the $1500 for education is still a thing, I agree it's crap, but it's also better than nothing. I blew through mine via CEH and CISSP, but at least you get to use the books as expenses.

Also, the money/bonuses you have are a lower than what I received, but not substantially. I don't want to say the exact numbers, but it's about a 10% increase from what you posted total.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That's only if you stick with boot camps in the US or the Middle East. There are good and respected boot camps in India and Philippines (and yeah I know there are questionable ones but they are easy to spot and there are questionable ones even in the US too lol) that are conducted in English and priced in alignment with the national income levels which means they are much cheaper; the high repute ones can cost ~$2000 but that's much cheaper than the ~$6k to $20k range I have seen in Dubai or the US. In Europe there's no guarantee a boot camp session would be conducted in English. One very nice thing about being deployed on a non-DoD contract is I work with foreign nationals from those respective countries, and they can point which boot camps are legit and which are bogus. Sometimes they had to learn from being burned but they pass their experience on to westerners.

My employer provides nothing for professional development, but I have always taken the attitude we own our professional development. I've had to invest in courses, books, videos, not to mention endless hours of my personal time to gain or maintain my certs. It's nice when employers pay for some or all of the training (especially SANS) but at the end of the day, we own it.
    GirlyGirl wrote: »

Vectrus only paid $1500 towards professional development. So...I know a respected boot camp doesn't cost $1500, it costs more. I know because I have attended more than one. So, boot camps are out of the question. The most you can do is get reimbursed for a certification exam. $1,500 is crap for professional development. You can't even take one college class. icon_rolleyes.gifThen it's some document that states the reimbursement has to be aligned with your job. Something to give them a reason for you not to get certs.. You dang sure won't get an education with that.
  • Options
    Kenny23692Kenny23692 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What ever happened to that guy talking about contracts in Africa?
  • Options
    oski252oski252 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I am going to have to obtain a Microsoft cert to work in Afghanistan. Thinking about going for the windows 7 configuration (70-680) cert.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I will let you know if they grill me hard this Friday. If I had a clearance, I would have already put in at General Dynamics.
  • Options
    I will let you know if they grill me hard this Friday. If I had a clearance, I would have already put in at General Dynamics.

Have heard good and bad things. However the bad was from someone whom I don't think too highly of, so take that for what it's worth.

GDIT is weird in that so many of their positions require TS or TS/SCI. I lucked out on a previous contract with an upgrade though.

Good luck, shouldn't be too bad.