Options

sysadmins, what backup and disaster recovery do you use?

ibn_shaddadibn_shaddad Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all

Planning to be a sysadmin in the coming months, I'm enrolled in Server 2012 instructor led class and will finish MCSE training in 6 months.

But that's not enough ofcourse, one of my weak points is recovery solutions.
My last job was as a IT desktop support for a small design business with like 7 computers in work group environment, no Windows server.

So I'm trying to know more about backup and restore solutions, disaster recovery...
Their differences and importance and personal thoughts and experiences

Thanks in advance
Working on: CCNA R&S, CCNA Sec, Security+
Learning: Python, C and C++

Comments

• Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For Windows, I might be biased but Veeam.

I've used Veritas/Ghost before in enterprise and they work fine as well. The primary concern should figuring out a solution that will maximize ROI while satisfying HA and SLA contractual agreements.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have a soft spot for backups and enterprise data recovery. I really enjoyed my time handling BackupExec and NetBackup. Not many people seem to be interested in this area. If wanting to learn more I can recommend this book: Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy: Preston de Guise: 9781420076394: Amazon.com: Books. It's a little old but instead of focusing on the latest shiny and expensive products it revolves around the importance of the data protection lifecycle from an enterprise standpoint.

With the advent of virtualization and technologies such as snapshots, deduplication, continuous replication, cloud backups, and others the play field has evolved but the essence remains the same.

Key point to keep in mind: backups do not matter, only restores do.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    CommVault Simpana 10
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Veeam currently but would love to move over to hyper-v failover clustering+live replication. No backup for esxi supports both as far as I know and Veeam could really use always on\automatic failover.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    We use Hyper-V replication and MS SCDPM :)
  • Options
    Thank you all for your inputs.
    quite a variety of names there, but Veeam and hyper-v replication seems to be the most common.

I should have access to hyper-v replica, and regarding Veeam I've just checked their website they have a free edition that I can start playing with then go with the advanced editions and use the 30 day free trial.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I have a soft spot for backups and enterprise data recovery. I really enjoyed my time handling BackupExec and NetBackup. Not many people seem to be interested in this area. If wanting to learn more I can recommend this book: Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy: Preston de Guise: 9781420076394: Amazon.com: Books. It's a little old but instead of focusing on the latest shiny and expensive products it revolves around the importance of the data protection lifecycle from an enterprise standpoint.

With the advent of virtualization and technologies such as snapshots, deduplication, continuous replication, cloud backups, and others the play field has evolved but the essence remains the same.

Key point to keep in mind: backups do not matter, only restores do.

thanks for recommending the book, a little pricey, does it come as an ebook?
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Acronis and Dell Appassure.
  • Options
    red.roadsterred.roadster Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Any open source suggestions?
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    fuz1on wrote: »
    I've used Veritas/Ghost before in enterprise and they work fine as well. The primary concern should figuring out a solution that will maximize ROI while satisfying HA and SLA contractual agreements.

Another past Veritas/Ghost user here. Used that at a small manufacturer with about 250 users/workstations. Also used an off-site tape rotation.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    NetApp Virtual Storage Console for VM backups, VMware Site Recovery Manager for disaster recovery/business continuity, and NetApp Snapvault for physical machines.
  • Options
    discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Backup Exec 2014

I disliked Backup Exec for the longest time, but I find it has really improved in the latest version, especially since we removed tape backups, I rarely have any errors now, it is basically on set and forget, and a monthly swap out of disks.

I am curious if anyone uses ARCServe any more?

For a while ARCServe, NetBackup and Backup Exec were really the 2 major players, now there is so many products out there and I feel like ARCServe is not used as much.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.