Options

XP "blue screens" on boot

KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
Normally I'd read the blue screen of death to find out what the problem is, but it flashes by within a fraction of a second. I tried booting from a disk and I tested the drive in another machine. There were a number of viruses on the drive when I ran some scans, and I got a virus warning when performing an fdisk /mbr. I tried copying over clean ntldr and ntdetect.com files, which made no improvement.

I thought my floppy was infected, but it appears to be clean. I attached the 180GB drive as a slave and ran virus software on it, but it only detected viruses on the drive under user data(word docs, zips).

KG
Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What is your question?

If I were you, I would get the files you want off of that drive, scan and clean them if they are infected and format and reinstall.
  • Options
    This is a data recovery server hard drive, so I was holding off on the "format and reinstall" method until last. The drive doesn't have anything important on it right now and it's mostly old data.

I'm just asking for suggestions before I get permission from my manager to format it.

KG
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    when the pc starts up.......press F8 when prompted and then choose disable automatic reboot upon failure or something like that icon_lol.gif that should leave the blue screen permanently up........let me know if this works for u.....
  • Options
    I've never heard of that option before. Would it be available on Windows XP? I'm going to check and see if I can find it.

KG
  • Options
    JiggsawwJiggsaww Member Posts: 195
    yea i just restarted my machine 2 make sure :D.....did u get it?
  • Options
    chirag12chirag12 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you have a crashed har-drive or a hard-drive full of viruses you can use a program called aronics to recover the data onto anothe drive and then rebuild your OS. make sure it is not connected to the network. also this program will boot before you get the blue screen
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I've never heard of that option before. Would it be available on Windows XP? I'm going to check and see if I can find it.

KG

It is available on XP. It can take a few runthroughs to get it to cooperate, but it sometimes helps.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber