Options

CCNA exam question

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
To get your CCNA R&S you can take ICND1 and 2 (2 exams) or you can take the 200-120 (1 exam). I know that CCENT is a requirement for taking any of the CCNA exams (R&S, Security, Wireless, ect.). If you were to take the 1 exam route to CCNA R&S, can you then move on to CCNA Security or any of the other specializations? Or do you need to have the CCENT? My understanding is that taking the 1 exam does not give you a CCENT with the CCNA R&S.
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, a CCNA: R&S fills the prerequisite for the CCNA:Security

Here is a link to the tests. Tells what fills the prerequisite for each test...
    Associate Certifications - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, that is what I needed.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Yes CCNA will open the doors to CCNA: Sec or CCNP. I did the 1 exam and moved straight to the CCNP R+S.
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    Christian.Christian. Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recommend taking first the CCENT. The price is the same doing it both ways (plus you get two certifications), and if you fail for some reason, you can always retake the ccna 50% cheaper than if you fail the one exam route.
    CISSP | CCSM | CCSE | CCSA | CCNA Sec | CCNA | CCENT | Security+ | Linux+ | Project+ | A+ | LPIC1
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    What is your end goal? The CCENT gives you basic information to prepare you for any track (fulfills the prerequisite for any CCNA level) but mainly has routing and switching topics. The 1 exam route awards you CCNA:R&S thus you would have the prerequisite for any other CCNA level exam.

If you have a CCNA, the CCENT is meaningless (especially if your CCNA is R&S). It all depends on your background and what path you want to take.
  • Options
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    What is your end goal?

Short term goal is to get the CCNA R&S and Security.

Upon further thought I think it would be best to do the 2 exam route. As Christian. said, its not as bad a hit if you bomb the first go. Also I think it would be less to try and cram into my brain at one time.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Generally, the 2 exam route is suggested for those certifying for the first time, while the composite exam is suggested for those recertifying.

Interestingly, the 2 exam option wasn't available when I first started doing Cisco (2001). I never got around to actually taking the CCNA exam until...Years later, I began hearing about this "CCENT" certification folks were getting. I looked into it and decided I'd go ahead and get my CCENT. I had been away from Cisco for a while, so I began studying for the CCENT. I ended up continuing on to CCNA: R&S, and now have my CCNP: R&S. The 2 exam option made it easier for me to get back into Cisco.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Generally, the 2 exam route is suggested for those certifying for the first time, while the composite exam is suggested for those recertifying.

With my Network+ I know the basics of networking, but I am a total noob to Cisco, it will be more practical and I think I will learn more by taking the 2 exam route.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ssnyderu2 wrote: »
    With my Network+ I know the basics of networking, but I am a total noob to Cisco, it will be more practical and I think I will learn more by taking the 2 exam route.
    The network+ is cake compared to the CCENT. Just to be clear I was talking about the CCENT vs the two exam path for the CCNA. As already said the one exam CCNA is meant for people with tons of experience or renewing their certifications.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Passing the new CCENT actually allows you to take any associate level exam you want. Of course all of this information can be found on the Cisco website...