Messed up my 3550 with the reload command

tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
Hey guys, any help would be appreciated

Switch#reload

System configuration has been modified. Save? [yes/no]: y
Building configuration...
[OK]
Proceed with reload? [confirm]

*Mar 1 01:01:52.063: %SYS-5-RELOAD: Reload requested by console. Reload Reason: Reload command.Base ethernet MAC Addres s: 00:0d:65:e4:86:80
Xmodem file system is available.
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 3 files, 1 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 15998976
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 5632
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 15993344
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 12 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.
Boot Sector Filesystem (bs:) installed, fsid: 3
Loading ""...: permission denied

Error loading ""

Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
image.

switch:
switch: show run
Unknown cmd: show
switch:
switch: en
Unknown cmd: en
switch: show run
switch:
switch:
switch:
switch:
switch:
switch: exit
Unknown cmd: exit
switch:
switch:
switch:
switch: conf
Unknown cmd: conf
switch: show ver
switch: config-register
Unknown cmd: config-register
switch: show version
switch:

What do i do? I don't have the IOS backed up or anything, just decided to play with the switch and NOW it's dead icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    no it isn't dead. it just isn't able to find an ios to boot. your at the rommon prompt. type a "?" to see what commands are available. start with the set command to see what the BOOT parameter is set to. do a dir flash: to see if there is an ios on the flash.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Xmodem is not the optimal way of uploading an IOS. TFTP! I can not stress this enough.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    cant tftp with a 3550 unless the ios is running
  • Options
    That makes a lot of sense, since it hasn't been working for the past 2 hours icon_sad.gif

Xmodem it is!
  • Options

Not sure what that means? Should i download another IOS?
  • Options
    I got it, i chose the WRONG setting.
  • Options
    Thank you guys, i left it all night and then following this document I was able to get my switch up. This was the best experience every to make sure I am very VERY careful what to type in the cli.
  • Options
    or at least be very careful when deleting files from flash. it is unfortunate that you need to delete the ios to do an ios upgrade on cisco switches. Just make sure you have connectivity to your tftp server before doing it. and that you have your backups.
    and at 115200 baud it takes about 30-35 minutes to do
  • Options
    clarson wrote: »
    cant tftp with a 3550 unless the ios is running

Well that is unfortunate...
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    MagmadragoonMagmadragoon Member Posts: 172 ■■■□□□□□□□
    what is wrong with xmodem other than being slow, I keep it on my computer just in case
  • Options
    yes every network engineer need xmodem in their tool box and know how to use it. But, no one wants to be an expert in using it
  • Options
    That's why you boot the device with IOS, delete old IOS, and then TFTP new IOS before even rebooting. Xmodem should be last resort.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well that is unfortunate...

I wish Cisco would have given the option of TFTP. I bought a couple of 2960 switches a while back and they came with no IOS on them. I end up having to XModem an IOS to them, which took forever.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    If tftpdnld in rommon isn't available, as others have said increase the baud rate and upload the smallest size IOS on the router/switch.Then reboot and use tftp to get the correct/large ios on there as needed.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    If tftpdnld in rommon isn't available, as others have said increase the baud rate and upload the smallest size IOS on the router/switch.Then reboot and use tftp to get the correct/large ios on there as needed.

Every switch I've tried it on (2960, 3560) uses HBOOT (presumably a switch version of ROMMON?), which doesn't support tftpdnld. Loading an IOS would take over 30 minutes even at 115200 BAUD.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]