Options

Todd Lammle's Book

ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanted to get a physical copy of a book, so I settled on Todd Lammle's book that covers both ICND1 & 2. Has anyone passed their CCENT/CCNA using only his book.

http://www.amazon.com/CCNA-Routing-Switching-Study-Guide/dp/1118749618/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk
2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!

Comments

• Options
    cisco.senseicisco.sensei Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ssynderu2. I personally haven't taken the CCENT/CCNA, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

With that being said, I have been around networking with work as an IT consultant and studying it for some time now. Todd Lammle's CCNA book is by far the best material I've read thus far on ICND1 & 2 material. He writes in such a way that it feels like more of a conversation/discussion than just bland material being thrown at you. Very well presented. It certainly helps me understand the material better, and has a good information in it. I plan on re-reading it when I take the CCNA after my Microsoft 70-687 I'm working on. I highly suggest this book in addition to lab practice, and any other resources you come across or that others suggest. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    that was my 2nd book; let put it this way I like it so much I bought his newer edition. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Cisco.sensei is spot on. I haven't taken the CCENT yet, but I have Lammle's book, HAD the CCNA in 60 Days book, and have browsed through Odom's book at the book store. Lammle's book is hands down the easiest to read. I'm so rusty on networking stuff and reading his book was effortless and the material just sunk in so easily. Kind of like Deathmage, I liked his book so much I bought the Kindle version of it too so I can sit here at work and read on the Cloudreader.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT nuggets + lammle + labbing + TE and various other resources like subnetting websites etc. That was how I obtained both my CCENT and my CCNA.
    2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

• Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I liked lammle book when i was studying it helped a lot, personally though odom book opened my mind more, i thought he was more in depth and sometimes gave more than was needed for the ccna, which to me is a good thing but you can't go wrong with videos + lammle + labbing
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used both the OCG (Odom) and Lammle's books for the old (640 Series) CCNA. Lammle covered some stuff that was useful for labbing/career, but not on the exam. Odom covered routing deeper (he covered some CCNP: ROUTE topics such as routing protocol authentication) than the CCNA, but didn't cover some of the stuff Lammle did. Personally, I used Odom's book to study and Lammle's to review, which worked out quite well.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    ssnyderu2ssnyderu2 Member Posts: 475 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Adam B wrote: »
    CBT nuggets + lammle + labbing + TE and various other resources like subnetting websites etc. That was how I obtained both my CCENT and my CCNA.

What type of study schedule did you follow? Read book first, then videos and labs?
    2019 Goals: 70-698, CCENT, MCSA 2016
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, CIW Foundations and MTA OS Fundamentals
    Cisco Lab :3x Cisco 2811 Routers, 3x Cisco 3750 Switches and Cisco 2620 Router with NM-32A module
    Windows Lab: Dual CPU Hyper-V server with 12 Cores/24 Threads, 96GB RAM and 2TB HDD.
    CANCER SURVIVOR! In Remission Since September 2016!
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, I studied Lammle's book and did the labs he provided on some gear I purchased. I watched CBT nuggets after and then passed the exam. In 2012, I did CCENT and CCNA this way.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.