Options

Root Switch - Distribution or Core?

ednardednard Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I plan on implementing a FHRP on the Core Routers, with R1 being the active router. However I’m implementing STP right now but was just asking for advice on whether I should be making one of the core switches the root switch, or follow Odom’s advice and go with a distribution layer switch? It seems to me that it would obviously make more sense to go with a core switch, but I didn’t want to second guess Odom. Is there a particular reason why he recommends using a distribution switch as the root switch?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Why bring STP all the way to the core? I'd go straight layer 3 from dist to core.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Keep your layer 2 at the distribution/access and implement FHRP on the distribution.

Look for campus network design best practices.
  • Options
    Why bring STP all the way to the core? I'd go straight layer 3 from dist to core.
    You’d recommend just running STP from acc. to dist. and then just implementing a FHRP to connect the dist. to the core?
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    Keep your layer 2 at the distribution/access and implement FHRP on the distribution.

Look for campus network design best practices.
    I’ve modified it and it now looks like so (below). I guess this removes the original dilemma I had and makes it simpler. Found a Cisco Campus Design Best Practice manual, so I’ll give that a study. Thanks.

• Options
    No, the FHRP is on the dist for host gateway. Dist to core is a layer 3 link running a routing protocol with the dist.
  • Options
    No, the FHRP is on the dist for host gateway. Dist to core is a layer 3 link running a routing protocol with the dist.
    Sorry, I'm not 100% with you. I should be adding distribution layer routers to then link with the core layer routers, or would you advise I used layer 3 switches instead of my current distribution layer switches, and then run layer 3 links to the core routers?
  • Options
    Layer 3 switches at dist and core. If you don't have the budget, need, etc to go with L3 there I'd then just go with a collapsed core/dist design and do a way with that layer of switches all together. It's a bit overkill anyway with only five access switches if this diagram is accurate.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Core should be Layer 3 only. Basically, you have a switch block with N Access switches. Those Access switches are connected with Layer 2 trunks to 2 Distribution switches. You would implement an FHRP on the 2 Distribution switches to provide redundant gateways for the various VLANs in the switch block. The Core which connects the switch blocks together would be Layer 3. STP, VLANs, and any Layer 2 Protocol would never go further than the Distribution Switches.

R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]