Options

Transitioning to sys admin

bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
Hey everyone,

I have been really thinking hard about whether I want to dive more into security or head more towards a systems engineer/admin. I enjoy the technical side of IT the most but I just dont really know where to start to become a sys admin. I passed the CISSP a few weeks ago but I still need one more year of experience before I can apply for endorsement and I really don't know how much it will help me get into that role. I have been reading that the MCSA is a good place to start but reading about the labs and sims and setting up a home lab seemed to just overwhelm me and I dont know if I can afford to spend that much money right now. I also would like to note that I have 3 years experience as a government contractor IT Service Desk. I am an ISSO/IAO as well as regular help desk responsibilities so I deal with security regularly.

Getting to my main point, I would like to know how current sys admins progressed into that career field and did starting at a semi-related entry-level position help you get there?

Thanks for any help provided.
"If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Help Desk --> Sys Admin

Get your MCSA and try to get access to do more at your current position. Best way to is communicate with your manager or supervisor and let them you are interested in Sys Admin work. Most of the time they will be pretty happy that you are interested in improving your skills. If not, you will probably have to look for another place that will give you that opportunity.
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Help Desk --> Sys Admin

Get your MCSA and try to get access to do more at your current position. Best way to is communicate with your manager or supervisor and let them you are interested in Sys Admin work. Most of the time they will be pretty happy that you are interested in improving your skills. If not, you will probably have to look for another place that will give you that opportunity.

Yeah I think the problem with my current job is that a sys admin position exists but only in DC. I REALLY dont want to live in DC *shudder.* I will probably be applying for a sys admin job with no prior experience so I guess my best bet is MCSA.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    My path was obtaining the MCSA while working helpdesk, once I did that I understood a lot more about how it all worked instead of just pushing buttons. From there, I started doing more with AD, File Permissions, Shares etc did those basic things for awhile then once I felt comfortable, tailored my resume for the sys admin experience I had instead of my helpdesk duties. Applied elsewhere and came on as a sys admin and moved on to being an engineer.