Options

SBT1 Tech Writing and Capstone

steveninspokanesteveninspokane Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please help!

I am desperately trying to come up with something to write about. My understanding is that I need to come up with a problem, propose a solution, write about it, implement that solution, and write about that. I am at a complete loss. I do not have any experience working in my field of study (IT), and I need help coming up with a topic for my writing. If anyone could offer some advice (or encouragement) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm about two classes away from doing this...Did your mentor provide some templates and examples? My plan right now is a small company decides to expand and move to a new office needing completely new equipment, new network, and a full time admin. There's a lot that can go into that and a lot of issues you can write about that you encounter.
  • Options
    Strong1Strong1 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try the Capstone archives under the Resource tab of the WGU portal. Tons of ideas there. Also the capstone and technical writing course mentors are an excellent source of ideas.
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    How about installing a new network or upgrading an exsisting one. Could change that to a software or wireless or firewall. How about installing and configuring a new SIEM or simple syslog server. I was able to take a project I was already working on at work and us that as my topic.

Good luck and relax a little you are in the home stretch.
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My scenario was a fabricated small business that didn't have any type of backup infrastructure in place. I was tasked as the head of an IT team whose goal was to remedy the situation. It was a simple concept but I easily came up with plenty of material to write about. Try to keep it simple and be thorough in your writing. Use the WGU template and rubric as you go.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    steveninspokanesteveninspokane Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips I looked at the Capstone Archive and I think I have decided to do my writing on Online Parenting. "Parent your kids: Online safety."
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Also, use the community boards and look through the discussions. Some decent ideas there. I just passed both of those classes last week. There is a lot of pressure, but they aren't that bad. I looked at a few from the Resources tab and got the general idea. Mine weren't as long, but they passed first try.

Mine was segmenting a wireless network with a corporate and a wireless network using VLAN's and ACL's.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the technical writing class about?
    Too lazy too look it up =D
    btw I also only have those two classes left
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    What is the technical writing class about?
    Too lazy too look it up =D
    btw I also only have those two classes left

Basically you come up with an IT Project and follow it through from beginning to end. Has to be at least 15 pages.
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    per my mentor...that class doesn't have to be the last class that you do and also email the course mentor and have them email you templates and he informed me that they are very very helpful.
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    One piece of advice I have is to write to the rubric. Don't deviate too much and you'll be fine. If unsure , just submit your paper, read their notes, adjust and submit sgain.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    Basically you come up with an IT Project and follow it through from beginning to end. Has to be at least 15 pages.
    Thanks kind sir
    Sounds like 15 pages of filler coming up
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Something you know about, makes it real easy, did mine in one night.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My technical writing and capstone projects took about 3 weeks total. The prospectus was about 23 pages and the capstone was about 30 pages. The most difficult part was thinking of a topic to write about. Once I did that and wrote the first few pages, it was smooth sailing.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    steelodonsteelodon Member Posts: 103
    I have been wondering what I should write about for this class as well.