PS/2 Data Transfer

servfastservfast Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here's a question that got me, what's the speed of PS/2?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Thinking I knew this one, and as I began looking to confirm....cannot seem to locate a specific answer - I'll find it.

You may find these two links of some interest.

Gives you I/O comparision to USB:
    http://www.infonewsindia.com/pinout/usbfaq.html

Various KB information, most people could do without, and geeks may find useful:
    http://www.beyondlogic.org/keyboard/keybrd.htm

I've got to leave, otherwise I'd continue to look. I'll give a shot later.
    What were your options without being specific?

2 'something' is coming to mind, but 2 by itself it useless. sorry
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Allan NevalaAllan Nevala Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Was that really a question you ran into??? Wow!

I don't think it's necessary for the test or for any reason other than if you're a hardware engineer of some sort.

I'm guessing that it isn't much faster than however many metal pins are on the back of the PS/2 connector (in bits per 1 millisecond).

-Allan Nevala
  • huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What is the speed of AGP 4x in MHz? or 2x, or 8x?
  • Majestic_LizardMajestic_Lizard Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here's a question that got me, what's the speed of PS/2?
    I'll be damned. I can't find the answer to that anywhere. I found lots of information on mini dinns and PS/2, but scratch on the transfer speed. That doesn't even sound like a fair question. I would imagine that over time the transfer speeds have differed on different hardware.

Supposedly, a PS/2 port is simply an AT standard keyboard port (din 5-m) rearranged into smaller physical port size. So you would think that whatever speed the AT standard was, the PS/2 is. I've read that the AT standard was a measly 9.4 Kbps and that just doesn't sound right. However, if that is true then PS/2 ports run at roughly 9.4 Kbps. Even if that is wrong I'm still guessing that PS/2 no faster than PC serial (115.2 Kbps) and likely slower.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Personal_System/2#Keyboard.2Fmouse_interface

And here are transfer speeds of other ports:
    ADB: 10 Kbps (1.25 KBps)--theoretically much faster, but practical factors limited it to this speed.
    PC Serial: 115.2 Kbps (14.4 KBps)
    AT Keyboard: 9.4 Kbps (1.18 KBps)
    not sure about this one
    Apple Serial: 230.4 Kbps (28.8 KBps)
    Parallel: 150 Kbps (18.75 Kbps)
    Bi-Directional Parallel: 16 Mbps (2 MBps)
    USB 1.0: 1.5 Mbps (192 KBps)--never released commercially
    USB 1.1: 12 Mbps (1.5 MBps)
    USB 2.0: 480 Mbps (60 MBps)
    SCSI 1: 32 Mbps (4 MBps)
    SCSI 2: 80 Mbps (10 MBps) - 160 Mbps (20 MBps)
    SCSI 3: 320 Mbps (40 MBps) - 2560 Mbps (320 MBps)
    FireWire: 400 Mbps (50 MBps)
    FireWire 800: 800 Mbps (100 MBps)
    (Max Projected) FireWire 3200: 3200 Mbps (400 MBps)

I'm guessing that PS/2 is as fast or slower than PC serial (115.2 Kbps).
    What is the speed of AGP 4x in MHz? or 2x, or 8x?

266 MHz is the speed of AGP 4X

The 32bit AGP bus operates at 66 MHz, by default. Apply the 2X, 4X, or 8X specification to that (taking into consideration that there are 8bits in 1byte).

transfer rate of an AGP 4x:

(32bit bus * 66{really 66.67}MHz / 8bits per byte) * 4X AGP Mode = (266 Mbytes/sec) * 4X Mode = 1066 Mbytes/sec.

then convert that to MHz:

(1066 Mbytes/sec) * 8bits per byte = (8529 Mbits/sec) / 32 bits {bus width} = 266 MHz

(OR)

since the base bus speed is 66 MHz (really 66.67) simply mulitply 66.67 by 4 in the case of 4X, 2 in the case of 2X, or 8 in the case of 8X.

2 * 66.67 = 133 MHz is the speed of AGP 2X
    4 * 66.67 = 266 MHz is the speed of AGP 4X
    8 * 66.67 = 533 MHz is the speed of AGP 6X