Options

Entry level jobs with just CCENT?

lukingluking Banned Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need some guidance here.
I have over 15 years experience in Helpdesk level 2 and 3. I have MCSE/MCDBA/a+/n+ etc. Have quite a it of familiarity with networking concepts/ different OS including Liu etc. I support many extremely complex applications, good overall familiarity with IT but have never worked as a Systems administrator. I expect to gain CCNA (security) within 6 months.
I am now preparing for InfoSec route and have started studying CCENT books and expect to take exam within couple of weeks.
My questions are
1. Should I first try to find a job as a network administrator (or something similar) using my MCSE certs and experience and then pursue Cisco Certified security jobs route
or
2. Pass CCENT first and immediately look for an entry level position in network security?
If 2, then are there any entry level jobs available in Greater Toronto area? If yes what kind of salary I should be looking for?

Will appreciate any input from industry insiders.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you really mean 51 years? retiring isn't an option yet? :p

I usually think a CCNA is minimum for a networking position but if you have a ton of experience and a MSCE someone might give you a try.

CCNA shouldnt take too long to get anyways....
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    luking wrote: »
    I have over 51 years experience in Helpdesk level 2 and 3.

Just wondering... what type of calls came into the helpdesk in 1964?
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    51? LOL
    Fixed it
  • Options
    tecnodog7tecnodog7 Member Posts: 129
    So here is my story, I'm changing career. I am currently a SQL developer / Project Coordinator. I want to get into networking. I got my CCNA in 4 months and pursuing my CCNA Security next. I feel that you should get your CCNA since ICND 2 will give you good routing concepts and frame relay knowledge which sometimes jobs ask. Maybe not FR since it's obsolete now.
  • Options
    So I guess CCNA is pretty much minimum to gain entry.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    It pretty much is... but each time you apply for a job... they could always consider a series of factors. One of my old bosses joked that CCENT "authorized the guy to just carry the routers and switches"... not true, but he saw it that way.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT