Options

Failed 70-461 today (wasn't really prepared)

burghard82burghard82 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
AI guess the title says it all but I failed the 70-461 today. I have a little over a year of writing code in sequel but the 70-461 was pretty involved. I am pursuing the MCSA BI route and passed the 98-364 with an 83. I did the Microsoft Virtual Academy course as well as the Plural Sight 70-461 Part 1 and 2 videos. The test was pretty hard and I didn't do due diligence in doing the Measure Up 70-461, I literally purchased it the morning of the test.

From reading the posts it seems I need to thoroughly read the 70-461 Training Kit book and then circle back and take more of the Measure UP practice tests.

I really don't want to buy any other materials for this exam since I already bought the Measure UP,Training Kit, and my Plural Sight subscription. For those who have passed the 70-461 would you say the 70-461 Training Kit with Measure Up is enough to pass? Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MeasureUp was excellent,

Questions are similar in nature, and their explanations really does give good knowledge, with the MSDN references at the bottom, MVA is very good but its high-line stuff,
  • Options
    Thanks for reply Zale, Did you pass on your first shot and what did you think of the 70-461 Training Kit (if you used it)?
  • Options
    zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    3rd Shot

First time I deserved to fail, I was unprepared, booked the exam before I even started studying, and figured, that this would be easy.

I have been writing SQL for 10 years, down to production DB updates on an ERP, , so what is a sniffly little exam called 'querying SQL'.. cant be that hard

First one I burned, and it was deserved, scored about 550 if memory serves

Second one I booked a few days afterwards, this time actually working hard, scored just about 650 for that, but failed

THen I got freaked, booked another exam (only way to force myself to keep at it) for two weeks. and I went through everything again, an insane amount of play, hours and I hours.

The XML stuff really got me puzzled, the triggers bit as well.

I do not like reading books, so MVA + the exam objectives, + google + play

The MeasureUP exam prep was awesome,

The Kaplin exam questions were really complex and lots to process.

The MeasureUp questions were small, simple and to the point, BUT, the difference is, Microsoft tests you on knowledge.

While the responses seem logical, you have to know your underlying theory behind it. Just the stupid questions on dates could make you fail. measureUp gives you the details, with an MSDN link.

THat worked for me, I am about halfway through the MVA for 70-462 at the moment, that I actually wish I did in prep with 70-461, as it actually covers questions I received in my last exam, that was not on the MVA, nor on CBT, nor on the MeasureUp stuff, sneaky questions...
  • Options
    Zale-

I took a little break from studying after the "epic fail"... .lol. I reschedule using my second change for May 2nd and am hitting the 70-461 Training Kit hard. My Measure Up 70-461 is going to expire April 20th so I will have to get it again, but I feel with using that and probably reviewing the Plural Sight videos on the 70-461 I should be good once I finish reading the book. I thought the MVA videos were a little too specific and the example to be pretty involved so I don't think I'm going to revisit those before I take the test.