Options

How does collision happen on half-duplex switch port? Possible?

FreddyIWFreddyIW Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can collision happen on half-duplex switch port? How? icon_rolleyes.gif

Let's say PC A and PC B are connected to a Switch on port fa0/1 and fa0/2 respectively. I set port fa0/1 and fa0/2 and both PC NICs to half-duplex mode.
How does it collide? UTP Cables use 2 TX and RX each so the frames are still transmitted and received on different wires.

What are the differences with full-duplex then? icon_profileleft.gif

Comments

• Options
    SimridSimrid Member Posts: 327
    Correct me if i'm wrong however, full duplex allows synchronous transmission. The means that both PC's can send and receive data at a single time. With half duplex, what if both the pc's try to send at the same time? I believe that is when a collision would happen.
    Network Engineer | London, UK | Currently working on: CCIE Routing & Switching

sriddle.co.uk
    uk.linkedin.com/in/simonriddle
  • Options
    Simrid wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong however, full duplex allows synchronous transmission. The means that both PC's can send and receive data at a single time. With half duplex, what if both the pc's try to send at the same time? I believe that is when a collision would happen.

But the UTP cables transmit and receive on different wires? Why does collision still occur even with half-duplex?
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    While in full duplex you can transmit and receive simultaneously, half duplex means you can only do one or another at a time. However, switches isolate collision domains per port, so collisions don't typically happen, unless you have some faulty hardware. However, if you're running a hub or a bridge, then yes you could have collisions and CSMA/CD will be utilized for when a collision occurs.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another misconfiguration that causes collisions as I understand is when the ports are set to full duplex, but the device is only half duplex, this causes a collision every time the full duplex device sends something. It was covered in my CCENT Exam cram book.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    You're under false impression that the cable dictates what the NIC uses for transmit and receive. It's just a set of wires. A NIC in half duplex will send and receive on the same pair of wires even if there are other pairs available.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    H3||scr3am wrote: »
    Another misconfiguration that causes collisions as I understand is when the ports are set to full duplex, but the device is only half duplex, this causes a collision every time the full duplex device sends something. It was covered in my CCENT Exam cram book.

This is correct as well. You will see a flashing Amber/green light on a port when this happens
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    Thanks guys I got it now :)