Options

The IT Stereotypes you have gotten in your career?

Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Some of my friends and bosses who knew me that I work in IT where like so that means you know every single thing about computers right?

Oh so you work with nerds?

Its a man environment.

IT guys don't have a life nor get as much girls as they do. ( psh haha that one was funny that was BS)

You guys have gotten stereotype for you being IT Experts? If so what are they?

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Everyone thinks I fix computers. I've gotten so tired of explaining my roles that I actually started telling people I fix computers.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    besides knowing everything about computers... you also probably know everything about every electronic device ever made! People will bring me random frickin' devices and ask me to fix it.
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    E Double U wrote: »
    Everyone thinks I fix computers. I've gotten so tired of explaining my roles that I actually started telling people I fix computers.

Yeah same thing.
  • Options
    EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha, a good response 'Don't worry, your brain just can't phantom it yet.'

It's the televised nerd hacker living in the basement image that has been projected over and over again to the public, they've been indoctrinated with it.

Working in IT + lifting heavy weights is a great combination.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • Options
    bloodshotbettybloodshotbetty Member Posts: 215
    I haven't gotten any since I only decided to pursue IT 2 months ago.

But I am definitely continue those stereotypes- I told my husband to watch out since I have boobs and play video games I will be a hot commodity in the IT industry! 'Cause nerdy boys. ;)

Joking, of course. Sort of.

A+ certified
    Bachelors of Science in Social Work, Augsburg College
    Working on: Network+
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■

I have boobs and play video games

Well hello there lol
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    e double u wrote: »
    well hello there lol

see i was right

A+ certified
  • Options
    KrusaderKrusader Member Posts: 109
    I haven't gotten any since I only decided to pursue IT 2 months ago.

But I am definitely continue those stereotypes- I told my husband to watch out since I have boobs and play video games I will be a hot commodity in the IT industry! 'Cause nerdy boys. ;)

Joking, of course. Sort of.

I also have boobs and play video games icon_thumright.gif
    2018 Goals
    AWS & Linux Knowledge
  • Options
    Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's one thing expecting me to know how to fix everything, but friends expect me to know a program to solve any problem they have. Most common one has been request for a dj program that makes it sound like a mix like how they do it in clubs and on the radio. I didn't major in mixology.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The good news is that one you make it to the top of the food chain they still think you fix computers icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Everyone expect you to fix their computers, for free. When money comes into the conversation, they get mad.

I always point out that plumbers, roofers and auto mechanics don't work for free.

For the career, if someone sees you have worked help desk, then they think that is all you ever want to work.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Krusader wrote: »
    I also have boobs and play video games icon_thumright.gif

We have so much in common, we should probably be best friends.

A+ certified
  • Options
    oxymoron5koxymoron5k Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I tried to explain my job in more detail than "fix computers" to my mom after she asked me what I really do. For about 20 min trying to get her to understand what a network technician is and how it applies to small business we just settled on I fix computers lol.
  • Options
    wolfinsheepsclothingwolfinsheepsclothing Member Posts: 155
    "You work with X, why can't you fix Y"
  • Options
    Bchen22Bchen22 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    Everyone expect you to fix their computers, for free. When money comes into the conversation, they get mad.

I always point out that plumbers, roofers and auto mechanics don't work for free.

For the career, if someone sees you have worked help desk, then they think that is all you ever want to work.

Don't ever provide free services

You better damn sure charge.

I find that damn annoying as well.

But on weekends if someone wants me to fix something I charge them 100 an hour because my weekends are that DAMN Valuable
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Every body think that i know everything about Excel, MS project, Word an so on. When i used to work in the corporate IT environment and a lot of people from finance used to call me to ask me about how to make certain formula to work in excel or how to make the index of a word document to look in certain way or things like that.
  • Options
    snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmod wrote: »
    Every body think that i know everything about Excel, MS project, Word an so on. When i used to work in the corporate IT environment and a lot of people from finance used to call me to ask me about how to make certain formula to work in excel or how to make the index of a word document to look in certain way or things like that.

I see the same thing where I work.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    Well that's part of the job basically if you have helpdesk responsibilities, often I'll google the for the answer in front of them

I just wrote "How to Google" memo that I will send out to everyone soon, hopefully it'll help them figure some stuff out on their own later on
  • Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Next month:

"Due to the success of our auto-googler script, we will be downsizing our helpdesk department to one person required to make sure the script works, and teaching new employees on how to use it."
  • Options
    Well... went from full-time to part-time already so that's a bit too close to reality :p
  • Options
    GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
    Given the state and advances of technology, I won't be surprised when the following happens at second month:

Due to the auto-googler script version 2, which repairs itself by using a parallel auto-googler script version 1, we have eliminated the one helpdesk person responsible for fixing the script.

:D
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "You work with computers? Can you fix my phone?"
  • Options
    Kai123 wrote: »
    "You work with computers? Can you fix my phone?"

Hey you're good with tech, What's the best phone plan?

me: what usage do you do? do you want data?

them: idk

literally once a week
  • Options
    VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162

I do the same thing. I got tired of people's eyes glazing over.icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    "You work with X, why can't you fix Y"

More like, you work with X, why can't you fix my X Box!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bchen22 wrote: »
    Don't ever provide free services

You better damn sure charge.

I find that damn annoying as well.

But on weekends if someone wants me to fix something I charge them 100 an hour because my weekends are that DAMN Valuable
    +1 million, I've been doing this to people for years. If we all do it and stop giving freebies to friends/family we won't ever run out of work.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I dont mind the "can you fix this device" questions.
    Its the "can you fix my random proprietary software that Ive never heard that was installed wrong by my cousin that connects to this database in Iceland."
    Im a network tech
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I do find there is an assumption that you will fix/repair peoples devices for free.
    I had someone once tell me that her personal laptop was my responsibility as she used it for remote access into work (The issue wasn’t remote access). I’ve even had people turn up at my desk with their personal laptop and ask me to look at it there and then. I’ve tried the charging route, the ‘I don’t do personal work’ route and have also thrown in that the company isn’t insured for me to look at your personal equipment. My favourite reply (I work in education) is to ask if they’ll just pop by my house and tutor my kids
  • Options
    dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    I think I have had all of these at some point, I am tech support for my immediate family for all types of electrical equipment and friends and other family generally ask questions covering a variety of topiccs, although most non-IT work colleagues offer to pay for anything I look at.
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That was my last job

Also

People always thought I would pirate software/music/movies for them due to my knowledge. I would tell them that it ain't happening. Even happened to me when I worked at Staples as a part time gig as a lead technician, people would say "Why should I buy office 365 when you could download it for me and I give you half the money", hinting I pirate their software for cash on the side. Yes, it happened quite often, but I never did it. It's just shady business and wrong.