Options

Network Provision engineer career question

karthikhebkarthikheb Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I recently got a offer to join a tech company as a network provision engineer. I wanted to know whether there is anyone here from such a career path or does anyone have any idea of what the growth prospects of such a position. I am a newbee in the networking domain. I have a masters in networking and have done my CCNA.

I just dont want to end up in a dead end job , i tried researching about the position and asking people around online but could not find any concrete information. Is this a field worth getting into ? Any help is appreciated !

Comments

• Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    What will be your responsibility? I don't want to make assumptions based on the title alone.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From past experiences, the network provisioning team are the ones that are actually placing the orders for new circuits and working with various vendors to meet SLAs. They do not typically do any configuration tasks. If you're trying to get into the networking field it might be a good start since you will constantly have engineers coming to you to place orders or to meet certain business requirements. And you could always ask to sit in with the engineer when they are actually bringing the circuit into routing.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends really on what your actual duties are. Could be something like FloOz pointed out where you just do orders, or you could be provisioning customer's all day working on configurations and troubleshooting.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the reply !

Heres a jist of the job responsibilties
    Using traffic flow analysis identifying peering candidates
    auditing peering sessions
    establishing physical interconnections
    responding to requests for peering turnups on public internet exchange fabrics
    contacting existing or candidate peers to establish or augment peering relationships
    analysing capacity on internet exchange exchange fabrics and private network interconnections.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    That's an excellent opportunity specially for your first networking job. From the job description, it sounds like a colo for service providers. Is the company called Equinix?
  • Options
    Agreed with pevangel. Very nice opportunity to start off. Good luck!
  • Options
    chmodchmod Member Posts: 360 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds great to start.
  • Options
    Thanks guys !! Happy to hear that . I was not able to exactly understand what i would be doing from the requirements hence the confusion.

thanks for clearing it up. Looks like i may take up the job.

@pevangel , nope its not
  • Options
    I'd brush on BGP and how internet peering exchanges work if you aren't already familiar. Equinix is a good place to start.
  • Options
    I'd brush on BGP and how internet peering exchanges work if you aren't already familiar. Equinix is a good place to start.
    Thanks ! I do know some stuff about those topics but will look into it more and learn as much as possible. its not equinix :)
  • Options
    IIIMasterIIIMaster Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    During the interview typically they will tell you what your task is how you go about it etc. Have you been interview for the position or did they just throw you an offer ?