Options

CASP Worth It if I have CISSP?

GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
Hi,

I know this may sound odd, but is CASP worth it if you CISSP already? I'm debating it a tiny bit due to the HIGH COST. I think the money would be better spent on PMP or Linux+. What do you think or know?
Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT

Comments

• Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it is a no brainer not to go for the CASP if you have the CISSP. From my experience having the CISSP trumps the CASP so it would be a backward movement in the sense of going for it after the fact. Like you mentioned the PMP or Linux+ would be much more logical depending on your goals.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ^^what he said. There won't be any ROI for you if you get it.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    successrealmsuccessrealm Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nope, you already have Sec+ and CISSP.

I'd say PMP, or maybe even CISM? (Depending on your path)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been debating whether I should go and take the CASP to renew my other CompTIA certifications or just maintain CEUs. It is a logical step after Security+ but then the certifications you do after CASP are limited and the only one that would interest me is CISSP. Just out of curiosity, does anyone think the SSCP is worth pursuing at all or just skip it and go into CISSP?

I would say skip Linux+ since you have more advanced certifications it is not worth the money plus CompTIA is updating their exam in August. In reality you should spend it towards the PMP. But the choice is up to you.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to agree, if you have the CISSP there really isn't a need to go for CASP. I will say that I have it on good authority that the Navy is looking to push CASP instead of Security+.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    ^^what he said. There won't be any ROI for you if you get it.

You make a valid point. It would only be for a self challenge, but then I'm stuck paying the fee and more CE's. Thanks all for the rest of the answers. I'll drop the CASP and finish up some mini certs. I'll start the PMP in early June time frame and the goal is to take it by the end of July.
  • Options
    mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I plan on getting the CASP when I need to renew my other CompTIA certs
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • Options
    Seeing what you have makes perfect sense Matai. Good luck on 70-410 exam. I enjoyed a three week block MS class and makes me want to look into that also.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I haven't looked at CASP. So, don't know it's purpose.
    Linux+ is really LPI tests. So, if you need to show Linux knowledge it would be good to have.
    sine I have higher level and lifetime comptia certs, I don't spend the annual fee for any comptia certs.
    i have 5 comptia certs including Linux+.
    i think certs serve several purposes, 1) for cert paper, 2) show professional growth. 3) new knowledge
    i use my certs to show professional growth at my annual reviews.

i'm considering SSCP before doing CISSP.
    both have continuing requirements and fees.

i'm also considering capm before pmp.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just scanning Casp objectives and it is really different from security.
    i have safari books and access to rough cut previews of new casp study book.
    looks like lots of new information. But how much is cost of casp exam?
  • Options
    Seeing what you have, you might be able to go straight for CISSP. I studied it in a two week block (surprised i passed because I was chasing other certs while my classmates studied this out for 3 months). If you understand the point of a manager view, you'll be ok. Your right about the development and that's why I ignore people who say, just go for the high level certs only. I just finished CISSP not to long ago and still burnt out on it, looked at the CASP book and looks like a water down version, but can be tough like any understand if you don't study for that cert. That test will warp you, but it's good your striving for it. I think I'll try linux plus down the road because I'm weak on it and know it's important for the PEN TEST certs in the future. The exam will run 350 - 400 ball park. CASP is good for anyone without CISP and only really understands stuff at the level of SEC+. Looking it, it could have been useful beforehand... but eh... managed to skip it without knowing.
    GForce75 wrote: »
    Seeing what you have makes perfect sense Matai. Good luck on 70-410 exam. I enjoyed a three week block MS class and makes me want to look into that also.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CASP is aimed at the aspiring Network Security Administrators. It is a technical exam where the CISSP is not. If you have no other security certifications, the CASP fills that void.
  • Options
    Art_EvansArt_Evans Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The only thing I might add is IF your Sec+ is getting old (coming up on 3 years) then passing the CASP cert will refresh the Sec+. Otherwise CISSP overpowers CASP greatly, and you would be much better off adding PMP, or CEH. Unless you do not have Sec+ at all, in that case I agree with the poster that say getting the CASP fills a techie void that CISSP does not.
  • Options
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    Just scanning Casp objectives and it is really different from security.
    i have safari books and access to rough cut previews of new casp study book.
    looks like lots of new information. But how much is cost of casp exam?

Yes you are correct. I read the entire Shon Harris book which goes overboard and maybe that's why I felt that it was the same. When I took the CISSP, I knew... but still was wondering where most of the technical questions were. Cost is between 350-400. PMP is 600... so I might as well just go for that.

Thanks all, I'm getting ready for PMP. I'll look into CASP if SEC+ comes up for renewal in the future. The only reason I may not have to is because I have access to skillport and all the certificates there count for any and all CEs.
  • Options
    Robertf969Robertf969 Member Posts: 190
    I'm going after the CASP just because the Military is willing to pay for it. If you are Army log into ATCTS and go to the documents section. Apparently they have a lot of CASP vouchers right now and are handing them out. I picked up the Sybex CASP study guide and it does seem like watered downed CISSP but more emphasis on some of the technical aspects.
  • Options
    Hey Robert, that's good to know. CASP vouchers are out at the school house. I'll probably look into at my next duty station future wise. Military paid for my CISSP and the flavors of CISCO. Gotta love free! I'll check this out tomorrow! Hmm... maybe just crab shoot the test and study for a week...
  • Options
    GForce75 wrote: »
    Yes you are correct. I read the entire Shon Harris book which goes overboard and maybe that's why I felt that it was the same. When I took the CISSP, I knew... but still was wondering where most of the technical questions were. Cost is between 350-400. PMP is 600... so I might as well just go for that.

Thanks all, I'm getting ready for PMP. I'll look into CASP if SEC+ comes up for renewal in the future. The only reason I may not have to is because I have access to skillport and all the certificates there count for any and all CEs.

I managed to snag one. A voucher came down and will take next Tuesday. Thanks for the info. Grr.. gonna be tight on squeezing the PMP
  • Options
  • Options
    Passed it. Thanks to the gentlemen above who mentioned the DoD had more vouchers. I obtained one from the cyber security division.
  • Options
    Woooot! Congrats!
  • Options
    ispep13ispep13 Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you take the CASP yet? Rbertf969 I am Army and doing a bootcamp in the DMV area. This agency is paying for the voucher but in case the test go south for me, the ATCTS info in good to know. Thanks
    Robertf969