Options

ccna 2 lab - some basic questions about vlans and subnetting

kodrokodro Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
my colleague and I need to make a lab in the class, see the packet tracer scheme in attachment (we're the "internet provider" for the whole class (= they attach their 4 LAN's with two serial cables to our four routers on top of the scheme).
we have some problems with the configuration of the vlans: how to configure the trunk lines between the two switches and the layer 3 switch. We can ping between the upper switches and the 4 routers on top, but not from these routers to the layer 3 switch.
We also want to connect our management PC with the routers via SSH, so the management VLAN needs to be configured, right? Should it be on both trunk lines?
we need to subnet in the 192.168.0.0 range. VLAN 10 would be 192.168.10.0, VLAN 20 192.168.20.0 and so on? And for the other subnets: 192.168.0.0 /30 as we have only 2 hosts at the max, correct?
So, any advise or tips would be very welcome! Thanks ahead!
lab.jpg 26.8K

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So if I am reading it right it seems like your off to a good start.
    If you have a management vlan and you want it to travel through your network I would expect it to be on the trunks.

IP addressing should work fine. Your assigning /24 networks to the vlans.
    As for the /30 that would work for your links between routers. I'm not really sure which part of the diagram your using them on specifically but i think it is probably correct to not waste address space.

If your building this in packet tracer you might be able to post what you have and let us know which part is not working.
  • Options
    we can already ping between L3 switch and the 4 routers on top, so the vlans should be fine. But now we need to connect the clients using the serial connections. We thought to give these 8 networks a networkaddressof 192.168.200.0 /27do we need to configure ospf routing on the 4 routers?for example on router 1:R1(config-router)#network 192.168.200.0 0.0.0.31 area 0R1(config-router)#network 192.168.200.32 0.0.0.31 area 0R1(config-router)#network 192.168.10.0 0.0.0.3 area 0 (for our vlan)or is it not necessary to configure ospf and will the clients automatically connect to our LAN?
  • Options
    we've managed to connect the serial interfaces to all routers on top. Now we're trying to provide internet access to those routers but we can't get past the PIX firewall (at the bottom of the scheme). We've configured ospf on the whole LAN but on our layer 3 switch the ospf only the top routers (vlans) are found as ospf neighbors.The OSPF config on our PIX firewall is: pixfirewall(config-router)# router-id 7.7.7.7pixfirewall(config-router)# network 192.168.0.4 255.255.255.252 area 0 (= network between NAT and PIX)pixfirewall(config-router)# network 192.168.0.8 255.255.255.252 area 0 (= network between PIX and L3 switch)The OSPF config on our PIX firewall is:L3S(config)#router-id 5.5.5.5L3S(config-router)#network 192.168.0.8 0.0.0.3 area 0 (= network between PIX and L3 switch)We also configured a default static route from L3 switch to PIX and from PIX to NAT-router.We can ping to 8.8.8.8 from our NAT-router but not from PIX nor L3 switch.Any ideas?
  • Options
    sorry for the fuss, but can anyone help us? we're a bit stuck for the moment and in a couple of hours we need to continue our lab... icon_sad.gif
    thanks again!
  • Options
    squirrelonfiresquirrelonfire Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Can you send the Packet Tracer file? Or you can post the complete topology of the network with all requirement like which subnet need what address and so on.
  • Options
    Nevermind squirrelonfire, thank you for your suggestion but we've managed to solve the problem, every client can ping to google. :)
    Still some problems with dhcp, but it doesn't really matter.
    We don't make the lab in packet tracer but with physical devices