Options

Do you put expired certs on your resume?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I have seen some resumes include things like CCNA (2009-2013) or CCNA (expired).

Not sure how recruiters view this.

Comments

• Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Depends on the cert. CCIE, yes. Network+, no. All of my Comptia ones are expired, I don't suppose that is going to hurt me much.

Something to keep in mind, the HR folks may very well be doing a keyword search or using software that does. If they want a A+ it won't matter much if you have 20 years experience working on computers, they will search for A+.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No. If a cert is important to my career I would keep it up to date.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No. I keep a cert active or I don't list it.

The only expired/inactive thing I would keep on a resume is a DOD clearance, as that can quickly show your eligibility on "Must have or be able to get X clearance". It can also show a company how far back they will have to pay for background check to go.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I would probably do it personally. They'll know that my focus is not on the expired cert, but it can still add value. I'd be more likely to omit putting a cert in a field I'm not wanting to work in (if I have an MCTS in SQL but I don't want to do anything SQL related at all, I'll omit it), but say I only have an MCSA 2012 and an expired CCNA, I'll put the CCNA in there for keyword and proof of understanding of networks and Cisco gear.