Options

To Surface or not to Surface

Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
I really want a Surface, I think they are great things. The question is do I compromise and get an RT or wait until I can afford a Pro? Do I consider a pre-loved item or bite the bullet and get a new shiny one?
Decisions, Decisions...

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Depends on if you want just apps or the ability to install programs. The RT version will only run apps from the app store, the Pro version is full windows and you can install full applications. I got the RT for my wife and she loves it but she doesnt do much except read ebooks, youtube, pandora, etc..
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do no do the RT route you will hate it. Why not have a full operating system?

Save up a bit and get the full version
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got the SP3 a few months ago, love it! I use it for as a laptop/tablet/desktop. Bought the middle version with the i5, 256 SSD and 8 GB ram. I'm not a crazy hard gamer or user so it does everything I do it on very well. The hardest thing I do on it is run a couple VMs and it does it just fine. If you aren't going to carry it around alot I would probably recommend a laptop or desktop though. Can get something better specs for the same price.

Also, when buying it you need to take into account the cost of the keyboard. For me, I splurged and bought the docking station and 2 27inch monitors to use with it too... Pretty sweet machine for the size.
  • Options
    Rocket ImpossibleRocket Impossible Member Posts: 104
    Surface. Get the Surface Pro 3. I have had it since launch and everyone I show it to wants one. It makes people's trepidation about Windows 8 evaporate almost instantly. I have my whole C-Suite on them.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I have SP3, 128gb SSD, 4gb ram, keyboard, docking station, one monitor attached (haven't tried 2), arctouch mouse and love it so far! I can use it at my desk, couch, fits perfect on the plane tray and its extremely light and portable. I use it for documents, reading, movies, vsphere (vm's aren't on my SP3), and other applications.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dou2ble wrote: »
    I have SP3, 128gb SSD, 4gb ram, keyboard, docking station, one monitor attached (haven't tried 2), arctouch mouse and love it so far! I can use it at my desk, couch, fits perfect on the plane tray and its extremely light and portable. I use it for documents, reading, movies, vsphere (vm's aren't on my SP3), and other applications.

I bought one of these so it just uses the one mini display port for both my external monitors.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLRBC7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen another person use this to where they just use 3 external monitors. Tempted to do it... icon_cool.gif Not needed and really don't want to spend the extra money though.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    The RT and Surface (not Pro) have been retired. I'm not sure the Pro 2 will be upgradable to Windows 10. I have an original Surface RT and I want a Pro 3, but I just can't justify the cost. I have been considering a Galaxy Tab Pro due to cost and how I actually use a tablet. I read a rumor today that there will be another edition added to the Surface line in the $500 range, using an Intel processor, with an announcement expected at the Build conference. I'll hold out on a purchase until I hear more about that tablet.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies folks and you've just affirmed what I already knew which is be patient and wait to get a Pro
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Already mentioned, but have to reiterate because of importance:

RT devices run on ARM processors and therefore have specifically compiled for ARM Windows OS. It can't run legacy software that was compiled for x86 or i386 or AMD64, unless this software is also specifically compiled to run on ARM. There are few examples of such software, I've heard from my colleagues that there's putty SSH client for RT.

Pro run you regular mundane Windows. Literally, it's your regular well-known laptop with detachable keyboard and a touch screen.

Pros/cons.

Pro version.

+ Of course, major pro of pro is ability to run x86 software. It can run both Windows Store apps and all x86 software, from MS or third parties, like Adobe Photoshop, MS SQL Server, you just buy it as you usually do and install it from package.

- On the other hand, it has greedy for power Intel processor and therefore can't run for too long on a battery (certainly below 10 hours, with active use can end up with just 4 or 5), in addition to that it has active cooling of processor which produces faint noise and heat and is much heavier because it has to have a more potent battery in order to feed greedy intel processor.

RT version.

- A major drawback here is inability to run x86 software unless it is specifically compiled by its owner from source code to run on ARM processors and sideloaded on a device. There's not much such a software out there. So you can't run your photoshop and other stuff (unless you use RDP-based techniques to run x86 software somewhere in the cloud and transfer its graphics output to your device, which is totally possible). But you can run Windows Store apps. Of course there's often no software we got used to, such as adobe photoshop, in Windows Store. Only modern pretty useless apps for fun and entertainment, some educational stuff, almost nothing productive. Also, no Google Chrome, no Mozilla Firefox. But at least it has Skype.

+ It has MS Office out of the box, which includes Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint and OneNote. So you can work with documents and have full-blown Outlook with calendar and e-mail.

- It is somewhat slow, especially first RT generation. Later on MS and Nokia and others designed new generations with more powerful ARM processors so it's no longer THAT slow, but you can easily notice that any RT device is slower in everything than Pro. It's powerful enough to watch almost any videos, browse the Internet, edit relatively simple documents in MS Office.

+ It is still full-blown Windows OS which just can't run any software that's not included in Windows bundle and can't be installed from Windows Store (or sideloaded specifically compiled for ARM software). All typical Windows programs, like robocopy, everything cmd.exe related, task manager, you even have PowerShell there! Some people compare RT devices to iPads... well, considering full-blown Windows OS and MS Office, I wouldn't compare.

+ ARM processors are energy-savvy. Therefore you don't need a huge battery here. Therefore your device is lightweight and can run ridiculous time on battery, like 11-14 hours depending on what you do. It doesn't have active cooling, doesn't produce any noise and heat, it is much lighter than Pro.

+ Some models (I have Nokia 2520 with power keyboard) have LTE module on them, which means you are always online! I pay $20 each month to Verizon and have robust LTE coverage almost anywhere in the US! Good for travelers.

Overall, I enjoy both RT and Pro versions, they both have their own advantages. Usually I bring with me only my Nokia 2520 (which is RT based) and if I need something heavy I launch it on my home computer or in the cloud via RDP client.
  • Options
    dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I bought one of these so it just uses the one mini display port for both my external monitors.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com Mini DisplayPort 1.2 to Triple Head DisplayPort Multi Monitor MST Hub - mDP 1.2 Multi Stream Transport Hub - mDP to 3x DP: Electronics

I've seen another person use this to where they just use 3 external monitors. Tempted to do it... icon_cool.gif Not needed and really don't want to spend the extra money though.

Thanks! I was going to look for one of these.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im waiting to see what they announce about the SP4.
    But I will surely get one.
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    Just make sure to go on eBay. You can get it much cheaper and tax free. I took the Surface Pro 3 back due to the high cost and not being a great laptop when it's in your lap. Sure it's got the stand touch screen, but eh... you can just get a thin 2 in 1 or something better for a lesser price. SP4 might be better worth waiting for, hopefully the use the Intel M processor. If you look at how thin the new MacBook 12 inch is, I'm sure the Surface Pro 3 will lose a-lot of it's chunkiness and weight once it's utilizing the Intel M processor.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got rid of my Surface Pro 3 and got a 2014 Macbook instead. I should have just gotten a laptop in the first place. The Surface Pro 3 is a nice machine but after using it for a while I realized I preferred a laptop with a fold down keyboard with the extra stability. If I were to get one again down the road with a newer model I would skip the keyboard and look at a nice BT keyboard.
  • Options
    ramonrdz1986ramonrdz1986 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    AverageJoeAverageJoe Member Posts: 316 ■■■■□□□□□□

My wife got one of these and likes it. I wasn't sure, but now that I've played around with it a bit I have to say that I rather like it, too.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLRBC7S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few people here have them on docking stations with 2 24" monitors and a ~50 inch on the wall for constant monitoring window needs..works flawlessly. I'll get mine in a few months, can't wait!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This confused me at first but this is a non "Pro" version of the Surface Pro for 499

Microsoft's Surface 3 is a $499 tablet that could be a full Windows laptop | The Verge
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If those were the only options wait for the Pro 3. I have a pro 3 while I love it for personal use it serves the purpose that I bought it for but I found when I would use it to do actual work at work or clients site to be rather lacking and quite frustrating at times. Having a rigid keyboard makes a difference when you are crouched balancing it in on your lap while you console into something. I still use my Acer laptop when working because of it but lose the lightweight portability.

*Also just a heads up an issue with many units mine included on the left hand said it gets a yellow line on the screen some are worse then others. I've read that people that RMA'ed it received units with the same problem so its been something that many people had to live with. Not sure if the current batch had that problem resolved.

I'm currently drooling over the HP Spectre x360 its a sleek looking hybrid has everything that the surface lacks and for a few hundred less for the same specs minus detachable keyboard. But can't see myself spending another $1k+ since the surface is only 6 months old.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    This confused me at first but this is a non "Pro" version of the Surface Pro for 499

Microsoft's Surface 3 is a $499 tablet that could be a full Windows laptop | The Verge

I came here to post this, amazing deal.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »

Yeah seems like a nice alternative. Sort of a middle ground.
    I think they just announced them yesterday
  • Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Yeah it looks like there won't be any RT anymore, which is good. The new Surface 3 comes in at the same price as the old RT units used to be, but runs full Windows. It's an Intel ATOM processor, which should be powerful enough for the average user, while the Pro line maintains I-series processors (i5, i7, etc.) for those that need it.

My wife likes her Surface 2 (RT), and I enjoyed my Surface RT up until I broke the screen on it. :P My son has a cheap 7" Toshiba tablet (It was like $150), that runs full Windows on it, he loves it.