Options

CSI Cyber

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
There was a thread here before on IT related TV shows/movies..

this one is new:
CSI: Cyber (TV Series 2015

It seems alright. It's NOT 100% technically correct of course, but it's not too stupid.

Actually I think it's not too bad at all, the crimes are all based on 'hackable vulnerabilities' in some apps/electronic devices etc. They even use interesting references to some tech terms. In episode three they even view the definition of 'phishing'.

Just thought of sharing it with you guys :)
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Even with dramas, if it has to do with tech, I watch it, of course, I watched the other CSI shows for years, but they are not doing a bad job with the new one, glad they have updated to the more imminent threats the pose themselves these days.

I did find last nights episode about making things overload and catch on fire interesting, we did a lot of work on this back in the early 2002 area and were somewhat successful in being able to overload circuits and cause them to overheat.

It will be interesting how things continue to develop with the new show, it looks like it could get very interesting. The one thing I always look at, if they are putting it in a drama TV show, it has normally been done already.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So it's not like eye candy where they are able to brute force a government machine in 2 seconds flat? Lol
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been watching and have enjoyed it so far. They definitely solve cases much faster then is done in the real world. Also, I believe in one of the episodes they traced an internal IP. But during the first episode I thought I was going to not continue to watch due to the acting. The characters seemed very cold. I work with law enforcement on a daily basis (and have been law enforcement) it's rare to have them be borderline frigid when dealing with victims and/or victim's families. First rule I learned when dealing with victim's families, be empathetic. It will make or break your case.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    I watched more of this, I think it's awesome....

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I wish some shows wouldn't insult the viewer's intelligence. I get the idea that there is a certain level of visual effects needed to keep your viewers interested but too often technology is used as a deus ex machina (if I am using it correctly) for a movie or show to cheaply get around an obstacle in the plot.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I wish some shows wouldn't insult the viewer's intelligence. I get the idea that there is a certain level of visual effects needed to keep your viewers interested but too often technology is used as a deus ex machina (if I am using it correctly) for a movie or show to cheaply get around an obstacle in the plot.

Remember, it is just a drama entertainment show and the majority of viewers do not have the information level that many of us on here do.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    MTciscoguy wrote: »
    Remember, it is just a drama entertainment show and the majority of viewers do not have the information level that many of us on here do.

I understand that, but there are shows that can put on a good show and not rely on "hacking" as some cheap method to avoid having to put some creative energy into coming up with more intelligent ways to advance the story.

"24" was terrible at this, "Chloe hack the door, ok hack the camera, ok hack the coffee machine now hack the helicopter" lol
  • Options
    Okay let's imagine a TV show that respects our IT intelligence..

Episode #1:

User: Hello, my Internet explorer isn't responding.

IT Guy: Please press the reset button.

User: Thanks it worked.

IT Guy....updates ticketing system.

IT Guy cracks a joke "there is 10 kind of people in the world..."

IT Guy goes to the bathroom

IT Manager "Cloud computing service management ITIL PaaS SaaS IaaS CaaS Outsource insource"

IT Guy "I hate my life"

User: Hello my Internet explorer is not working again

IT Guy: Please press the reset button

User: thanks it worked

IT Guy goes to TechExam and starts a thread "I have mixed feelings about Internet Explorer and users"

Episode #2:

3:00 am, Saturday. IT Guys goes to server room (listening to Gangstas Paradise on his phone), background noise, freezing in the room...presses the reset button.

3:30 am IT guy pass by McDonland's

McDonald's Guy: You again!!!!

IT Guy: IT life chose me.

• Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hahahahahahaha!
    UnixGuy wrote: »

Episode #1:

IT Manager "Cloud computing service management ITIL PaaS SaaS IaaS CaaS Outsource insource"

IT Guy "I hate my life"

IT Guy goes to TechExam and starts a thread "I have mixed feelings about Internet Explorer and users"

Episode #2:

3:00 am, Saturday. IT Guys goes to server room (listening to Gangstas Paradise on his phone), background noise, freezing in the room...presses the reset button.

• Options
    EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Haven't watched this yet... Reviews on Gizmodo made it sound pretty bad.

I like UnixGuy's script. :P

If there was a show based on my career, it'd only be allowed to air on HBO after midnight. :P One place I used to work, just myself and 2 other Systems Administrators sharing an office... we got into some really weird discussion that were not only NSFW, but definitely not safe for network TV, lol.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973

SPot on!
    meh
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't handle shows like CSI Cyber or Scorpion. All I do is sit there and critique it (a bad habit that my wife and I have).

I'm also concerned by the fact that television affects the views of the masses and even politicians. That to me is scary.
  • Options
    I am not critical of them, because they are designed for entertainment purposes, after a couple of dozen hours sitting in front of a console, I enjoy the break and watching something that is entertaining and has a small amount of information about what I do, as a 30 year vet of the military, it sure beats watching war movies all the time!
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dare you to watch Mr.Robot series, it's so fcking tech accurate.
    9.4/10 on imdb.
  • Options
    ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    Hey UnixGuy. Have you watched the movie Blackhat? It flopped at the box office, but I bought it and it's a decent film. The tech, while simplified, is accurate (they even use Linux machines). And there are quiet references to IT security & the past: Social engineering, Stuxnet & the coder who wrote a backdoor (I was thinking was this a reference to Cult of the Dead Cows "Back Orifice"). Of course it's Hollywood & the hacker is tall, good looking and has nice abs. And his female sidekick, a network engineer, is a hot Asian woman lol (that's the Hollywood part).

Another thing they do is show the hacker they need in prison. He's in a high security prison surrounded by all these tattooed gangsters. I think that's cynical way of pointing out some of the crazy sentences hackers get in the USA.

I tried watching CSI Cyber but I just couldn't. I think it's because I kept expecting Horatio Caine to jump out & shout YEAAAAAHHHHHH at some point. I'll try the show again, but I can't help but wonder if the era of CSI is over? I sometimes do work with law enforcement. Yes police are usually very empathetic with victims. And the process of solving crime is mostly routine & time consuming. Then again, IT security is very routine and process orientated unlike the version in the movies ;-0)
  • Options
    eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I wanted to like CSI Cyber (and Scorpion), I really really did but I just end up being gratingly taken out of the immersion by either forced, & cheap, emotions (Scorpion) or shockingly compressed tech accomplishment time frames (both). And the acting was simply not that great for me with CSI Cyber. It's as if the actors don't know what they should and/or should not respond to naturally in the tech world so they are always "off" a bit.

On the other hand, I had a 100 things to do the other day while the wife had Serenity on and I ended pulled into the movie and getting diddly accomplished until it was over....again. *shakes fist at Joss Whedon and entire cast*
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like Eye Candy, CSI Cyber is too unbelievable for me to take seriously. Even Silicon Valley, a comedy, gives a better representation of the IT field from a technical and business viewpoint. Halt and Catch Fire is the most believable of them all, but it takes place in the 80's with Commodore 64's and mainframes currently in the story. Both are serials that can give a much more realistic timeline of events.

Bring back Firefly!! I've read the new Syfy show, Killjoys is somewhat comparable.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    , but it takes place in the 80's with Commodore 64's and mainframes currently in the story. Both are serials that can give a much more realistic timeline of events.

What the hell do you think we were using back in the late 70's and early 80's? We were using C 64's and Atari 2600 game consoles that had basic built into them, hell I was thrilled when I got a TRS 80, my first hard drive was 5 megabytes on a card to plug into an XT clone and I paid over $800 dollars for that and ran a full BBS system on it!

Man I was thrilled to get my first 5 megabyte hard drive for that price and now my throw away laptop has 8 gigs of memory and a 2 terabyte hard drive in it and I paid less that have of the cost of that first hard drive.

Back in those days, you actually had to learn how to program with no fluff, because you had no headroom, code couldn't be sloppy like it now a days!

I remember waiting with baited breath for that issue of Byte magazine every single month and the Computer Shopper catalog so we could drool over those things none of could afford to buy, I remember 8 inch floppy drives and how amazed I was when 5 in drives came out and then the miracle 3.5 inch drives!

Hell now I have a phone that has way more power than the computers we had back then.

Halt and Catch fire is pretty darn close to those early days of personal computing!

My wife and I were just talking about it the other day, when I moved into this house we currently live in, we could not get an internet speed over 1200 baud, now I gripe about the 1.5 mbs that we have and am bugging the local provider to up the speed, the first CD rom I purchased cost over $1000 dollars and it only played stuff, it didn't record anything! It didn't even play music CD's, you were limited to what Microsoft had released, which was about 5 or 6 CD's The first CD I owned was the Microsoft Encarta Encyclopedia, which was basically a Britannica Encyclopedia disc....I remember it very well, the first video I watched on that disc, after spending 20 hours looking for a program to play the darn thing was a Jaguar chasing a Gazelle in Africa!

You guys these days, have it way to easy, I was amazed, we watched Iron man on our Telephone yesterday while we were camping!
  • Options
    eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I dare you to watch Mr.Robot series, it's so fcking tech accurate.
    9.4/10 on imdb.

Just saw the show and must say this was a good call. I have never seen a show get so much of the minutia right as a part of the plot.

Not a Slater fan and would have preferred Val Kilmer in that role (if we are going to be resurrecting careers) but hey, you can't have everything. LOL
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Mr. Robot has been good so far, hopefully it stays like this.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    I am getting a little tired of Mr Robot already, it's so dreary but I did like it at first.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @tpatt100: I wanted to grab a Zoloft by the time I was half-way through... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I try to watch all tech-related shows. I don't get too caught up in the realism as they are TV shows and real life IT is mostly boring as hell and wouldn't make it past the first commercial. CSI Cyber, Scorpion and Mr. Robot all have their pluses and minuses and are no more unrealistic than a zombie apocalypse, flying dragons or finding serial killers in one hour.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    yes I'm getting tired of Mr. Robot...first episode or had my hopes up but now...meh. They better step up their game

• Options
    cshkurucshkuru Member Posts: 246 ■■■■□□□□□□

Episode #1:

IT Guy "I hate my life"

Episode #2:

This show exists. It's called The IT Crowd

"Hello IT, Have you tried turning it off and on again"