Options

Question about CCNA recertification

pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
Quick Question. I have a CCNA and CCNA Security. Can i retake the CCNA Security and recertify both of them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yes...same level exam or higher renews anything on that level and below. If you take the CCIE though it makes everything expire every 2 years instead of 3.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No, it doesn't make everything expire every two years. Just the CCIE expires every two years.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, it doesn't make everything expire every two years. Just the CCIE expires every two years.

When using a higher level of certification to extend other certifications, the expiration date of other certifications will extend to the expiration date of the higher certification (i.e.: If you have one year left on your CCNA certification and you earn a CCIE certification (which has a two-year certification life) then both your CCIE certification and your CCNA certification will expire two years from the date you achieved the CCIE certification).

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/professional/ccnp/recert.html

The way I read it, if you pass the CCIE Lab Exam, it renews all your certs for 2 years rather than 3. Even though the Lab Exam isn't on the list of ways to recert, the note at the bottom suggests it will recert you, but only for 2 years. The interesting question is what if you later pass a CCNP level exam? That should renew your CCNP and CCNA level certifications for 3 years.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So it sounds like CCNA Security may be my best option as it recertifies for 3 years? Also, not sure i am interested in going for something outside of the associate level at this time so im thinking CCNA is the easiest route as have to take it by June.
  • Options

Incorrect...read the link theodoxa posted. It does sound like even if you had a CCIE then passed a CCNA it would be 3 years for CCNA level and below, however CCIE extends ALL for two years.
  • Options
    EdificerEdificer Member Posts: 187 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nice Cisco. For a CCIE cert that about 1% of Cisco cert holders hold, they ought to extend it for the standard 3-years and a 1-year special appreciation token. There must be sense in their way of doing it, but for me, it looks odd.
    “Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Confucius
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    could it be it's because there's too much at stake when it comes to CCIE, so Cisco wants shorter lifetime for CCIE?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Edificer wrote: »
    Nice Cisco. For a CCIE cert that about 1% of Cisco cert holders hold, they ought to extend it for the standard 3-years and a 1-year special appreciation token. There must be sense in their way of doing it, but for me, it looks odd.

It synchronizes the expiration dates as long as the person never takes any more lower level certs. Personally, I would rather they just renew the lower certs for the standard 3 years. That way if you fail to renew your CCIE within the the 2 years, you would still have 1 year to recert the lower certs.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What it says is the higher level cert pushes the lower out at as well. So if you had two years left on your CCNA and passed the CCIE you wouldn't have to extend your CCNA again in one year. In essence it's now a four year CCNA. It's not that it automatically makes the CCNA now expire every two years.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was under the impression that the CCIE does NOT recertify your CCNA if your CCNA expires in greater than 2 years. It only recertifies your CCNA if it expires in less than 2 years and it only extends the recertification to 2 years.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Pretty sure if you take the CCIE you are going to renew every two years so effectively you have two year certs.