Options

Cyber Operations Help

jshookzjshookz Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
Looking to cross train into "Cyberspace Defense Operations", Air Force Enlisted Job Descriptions

I've linked the job description and was really wondering what certifications I should focus on? I'm enrolled at AMU with my BS in Information Systems Security. I'm currently taking the Security+ exam on the 9th of April and hope to expand from their and build my IT resume.

I'm working in the computer room at our base now doing small repair work, re-imaging, email problems, etc...so at least I'm getting hands on.

I've been told to start learning Unix/Linux and programming code. I'd also think that network+ would be a good starter certificate to have along with CCNA Security or routing and switching?

I appreciate all the help!!!!

James

Comments

• Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On top of basic Linux knowledge try setting up a syslog server and firewall and get used to reading logs, CCNA Security looks like it could be helpful, perhaps go the CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security if you have time.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    nelson8403 wrote: »
    On top of basic Linux knowledge try setting up a syslog server and firewall and get used to reading logs, CCNA Security looks like it could be helpful, perhaps go the CCENT, CCNA R&S, CCNA Security if you have time.

Thanks for the advice. Any advice for learning linux from scratch, books/certifications? There has to be free virtual ware out there for me to work with so I don't have to spend $295 on a linux firewall haha
  • Options
    tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    edX has a free intro to Linux course. Not sure if this helps.
  • Options
    tahjzhuan wrote: »
    edX has a free intro to Linux course. Not sure if this helps.

Anything helps!! Thank you!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    https://afvec.langley.af.mil/afvec/Public/COOL/ViewAFSC.aspx?AFSC=r%2bm8D3oKsHE%3d <---That should help you out.

My other suggestion would be to study a little, but know they will teach you everything you need know in Tech School.

Where abouts in Jersey are you?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    https://afvec.langley.af.mil/afvec/Public/COOL/ViewAFSC.aspx?AFSC=r%2bm8D3oKsHE%3d <---That should help you out.

My other suggestion would be to study a little, but know they will teach you everything you need know in Tech School.

Where abouts in Jersey are you?

Thanks Grinch! I'm in Burlington County, Joint Base MDL
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ah ok, I know exactly where that is. I have a friend who works out of there (also in the Air Force), he's a load master. Also, look at the Navy COOLs for CTN. That is a bit more structured and shows you the certifications that they deem necessary for promotions.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Ah ok, I know exactly where that is. I have a friend who works out of there (also in the Air Force), he's a load master. Also, look at the Navy COOLs for CTN. That is a bit more structured and shows you the certifications that they deem necessary for promotions.

Yeah that seems to be the route I'm going towards now. Get my Sec+, Net+, CCNA R&S/CCNA Security, and take linux courses for now.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    -TCP/IP
    -Linux
    -Scripting = (Python or Perl) + Bash + Powershell. If you want even more understanding, start to look at C and x86 assembly later on

Sadly, many secops groups aren't very skilled. If you seek understanding with the above topics, you'll be better off than most.
  • Options
    SaSkillerSaSkiller Member Posts: 337 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Watch this:and this thread:

1B4X1 cross train : AirForce

maybe more of these:

AirForce: search results

Long story short, CCNA, Security+, GCIH, linux. Maybe others but those are the ones I have seen named.
    OSWP, GPEN, GWAPT, GCIH, CPT, CCENT, CompTIA Trio.
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When I was active duty Navy, as an IT we were automatically enrolled in Skillport. You should see if your command has a Skillport licence and see if you can get an account. It's not the greatest but there's a lot of free material, practice exams, etc. on there for CompTIA, Cisco and more. As far as learning Linux goes download VMWare player and install a version of Linux, I like CentOS, and just play around with it.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Save your money, if you change jobs they'll send you to the school. The course will include a LOT of stuff and the SANS GCIH/GCIA depending on what your follow up assignment will be. The contractors in that position require Sec+ and CEH.
  • Options
    mstd0nmstd0n Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Granted the site is currently under maintenance, FedVTE has a ton of free in-depth video series on all things IT (ccna, a+, se+, c|eh, etc.)

FedVTE | National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies (NICCS)
  • Options
    LuieLuie Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    Save your money, if you change jobs they'll send you to the school. The course will include a LOT of stuff and the SANS GCIH/GCIA depending on what your follow up assignment will be. The contractors in that position require Sec+ and CEH.

In all honesty, this is the correct answer - if you want to learn stuff ahead of time, more power to you, and it shows good initiative. But it may have little to no impact on if you can retrain, and may or may not be useful in your next job.

Source: 12 years as AF officer, including a year as comm squadron deputy commander at JB-MDL (2006).
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    jshookz wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Any advice for learning linux from scratch, books/certifications? There has to be free virtual ware out there for me to work with so I don't have to spend $295 on a linux firewall haha

I really liked the Soyinka Linux Admin book. Also, play with IP tables.
    meh
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys!!