CompTIA A+

darthlinuxdarthlinux Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All

I am looking to change my career path in to IT which was my original plan after college but then because I became comfortable in my current job my plan halted, but to due to my working hours and having a kid money and time is something I don't have a major lot of so going back to college is a no no, as I have some knowledge of computers I have decided I am going to study as my own pace and then if I feel I am at a level where I pass the exam I will save and pay for the exam myself.
My question to you is has anyone taken this exam and if so what learning materials did you use, are there any good websites for pratice question or learning materials?

Any help would be great.

Comments

• rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your studies. Most people on here self study. Professor Messer videos are awesome. As for book the popular ones are Meyers, Tod Lammale, and exam cram.
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • Armitron77Armitron77 Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently took both the 220-801 and 220-802 exams and passed them both. The learning materials I used was the ExamCram CompTIA A+ 220-801 & 220-802 6th Edition by David L. Prowse, ISBN-13: 978-0-7897-4971-0. I also used the All in One CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide 8th Edition by Mike Meyers, ISBN-13: 978-0-07-179512-8. I mainly used the ExamCram book for my studying. However, I did use the All in One book for reference in case I needed more information that the ExamCram does not have or cover. Using the two books was a really big help. Other materials I used was the Professor Messer videos on youtube.com. The links are: 220-801: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6sJjIQzdbE&index=1&list=PLG49S3nxzAnnmMVTdd4v4ryJ7_qoQCrF4 and 220-802: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS3s172qm2E&list=PLG49S3nxzAnlfszEOQ-Ih03S6MsnZLd6k. For practice questions, I went to the ExamCompass website. There you can practice lots of questions that are in relation to the exams. You can also download the exam objectives for both the 801 and 802 exams on that website. The link is: ExamCompass | CompTIA Practice Exams. The objectives gives you a road map in terms of what you should study in preparing for both exams. Hope this helps and good luck with your studies. icon_thumright.gif
    Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer & Network Security
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management
    Associate in Applied Science Degree in Network Management/Cyber Security
    CompTIA A+ Certified | CE, CompTIA Network+ Certified | CE

2016 Goals: CCENT/CCNA Routing & Switching COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR/CompTIA Security+ COLOR=#008000][B]IN PROGRESS[/B][/COLOR
  • JwvantasJwvantas Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are also sites like transcender and measure up that for a fee have practice tests with many different questions. The measureup for the 802 that i am using has like 275 questions. It also allows you to simulate the test by not letting you see if you chose the correct question and has a time limit of 90 mins just like the actual test. You can also download practice exams from the book manufacture website if they offer.
  • darthlinuxdarthlinux Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone I have ordered the exam cram book and I am off to the library today to get some other books, its going to be a long road ahead but its something I am going to do even if I don't take the exams for a while the knowledge will help me.
  • StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This exact same thread was posted word for word by someone named jems at the following link: http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/109533-starting-out-goal.html I am not the IT forum police or anything, but when you open the same thread multiple times, people cant see that others have already replied. The end result is wasting peoples time. You already got your answer in one thread, no need to open the same thread again under a different name.
    This exact same thread was posted word for word by someone named jems at the following link: http://www.techexams.net/forums/a/109533-starting-out-goal.html I am not the IT forum police or anything, but when you open the same thread multiple times, people cant see that others have already replied. The end result is wasting peoples time. You already got your answer in one thread, no need to open the same thread again under a different name.

If you look what time I posted this and Jems posted this you can see that I posted first so to me Jems copied what I had wrote so before you jump down my throat please get you facts correct and get a hobbie.
    Grow up mate I only have one account and I posted this first please get your fact right before jumping down my throat and get a hobbie
  • StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    darthlinux wrote: »
    Grow up mate I only have one account and I posted this first please get your fact right before jumping down my throat and get a hobbie

I agree with you, my reply only makes sense in the second thread and not the first. I was wrong and I am sorry.