Options

OSI or TCP/IP Models on the ICND1 and 2 exams?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
If this isn't allowed to be asked, I apologize.

When being asked questions is it safe to assume they will be geared toward the OSI model unless otherwise specified, whether it's through the context of the answers or the question itself?

It seems like Cisco loves the OSI model. Reading the material, as well as exam topics on Cisco's website, makes it seem as though they just want me to know of the TCP/IP model and how it relates to the OSI model.

Also, I have heard multiple things about this, but are you able to go back to previous questions, or is it one of those exams where once you answer, your answer is locked in for good? I've heard both ways and I'm not sure.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The questions are usually specific enough to know what they want from you. If not I'd err towards the OSI model. Don't think there is anything official that says to do so though.

No, you can't go back. One shot per question.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The OSI model is not necessarily the most accurate model for all things networking, but when people recite "This protocol is Layer X", yes they are referencing the OSI model and you will have to know it and remember the function of each layer, mainly the bottom four, but it's always good to know the top 3, even though I usually just reference 5,6 and 7 as application layer. However, I've always found TCP/IP much better, along with Russ White's hybrid model.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []