Is there ANY win9x win 2k, NT and ME OS emulators?

huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I havn't done my research yet, but I was wondering if there's such thing as older version of Windows emulator out there? Like how Apple OS can run Windows with the right program.

It would be great practice and learning experience if I can find these older Windows OS to play around with without having to leave my house.

Thx,
TOny

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    VMware is another option, both provide a trial version.
  • huzzxhuzzx Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thx for both of your suggestions.

After installing these programs, would it be a hassle to remove them? Would it cause any complications with my current OS and its system files? Basically what is the degree of difficulty involving setting up and removing after I'm done. This is just temporary for the purpose of my study. Thx again.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    The older "guest" operating system will be stored on a virtual hard disk, which is a file on your real hard disk. Apart from that file and some minor settings of virtual pc or vmware, it doesn't really change anything of your 'host' operating system. Avoiding dthose complications of running multiple OSs on a single machine is exactly what it does.
    Hey Webmaster,

How can I load older "guest" OS into the virtual drive using VMware? I have the program installed but can't get it to load any OS. Sez OS missing, no bootable CD or disk detected. THx for your help.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    You should be able to install the "virtual OS" through the host os. Just point the installation to the "virtual partition".
    i remain, he who remains to be....
    Ricka, can you point out to me where exactly can I find "virtual partition"? I checked all the tabs and can't seem to find that command anywhere. I'm pretty hopeless hah.
    Do I need to install VMware Tools for this to work?

Here is the 1st 3 steps in installing Guest OS from the VMware manuel:
    Installation Steps
    1. Insert the Windows Me CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    2. Power on the virtual machine to start installing Windows Me.
    3. Choose to boot from CD-ROM, then select the option Start Windows Me Setup from CD-ROM. The setup program runs FDISK and reboots.

I guess I would enter bios as if were a real bootup, and choose boot from cdrom in the boot sequence. I'll give that a shot.