Options

VCP exams

c0mptiac0mptia Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello All

I been searching the topping for a while but could not get an answer.
I am new to VMware process on how and where to take exam.

For COMPTIA exams ..i just logon to PearsonVue/Comptia to schedule for exam. BUT how do i do it
for VMWare? i registered at VMware.com but i dont see my ID under my profile?
Also does VMware require you to take their training first ? Or can i just study on my own and go to
PearsonVue schedule and take the exam? im so confuse???icon_sad.gif

please advise

Thanks in advance.:)

Comments

• Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to take VMWare training before you're able to take the exam.

There is one "loophole" valid until Jan 2016 I believe: if you have a CCNA or CCNP in either R&S or Data Center, you can take the VCP-NV exam without any official VMWare course. Then you will be VCP status and can take the VCP5-DCV, etc.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    Thanks..do you know which exam i should go first ( exam number ).?
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Correction: Technically you can take the exam before the training, although as you would expect the training can help with the exam...

Follow this link and read up on whichever certification you wish to achieve: VMware Certification

The most common certification is the VCP in DCV, so VCP5-DCV or the new VCP6-DCV.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »
    Correction: Technically you can take the exam before the training, although as you would expect the training can help with the exam...

Follow this link and read up on whichever certification you wish to achieve: VMware Certification

The most common certification is the VCP in DCV, so VCP5-DCV or the new VCP6-DCV.

When I registered for the VCP5-DCV, I had to validate my training. There was a whole process of my instructor confirming my pass status for the ICM class, then I had to request authorization to register for the exam. Is there something I'm missing?
  • Options
    c0mptia wrote: »
    Thanks..do you know which exam i should go first ( exam number ).?

What do you want to get certified in? VMware has "specialties", just like Cisco has Voice, Route/Switch, etc. The most common one is probably VCP5-DCV, and I would recommend the VCP510 exam since it seems less "intense" (less questions but less time allowed, as opposed to the VCP550 which has more questions but more time allowed).
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    thatguy67 wrote: »
    When I registered for the VCP5-DCV, I had to validate my training. There was a whole process of my instructor confirming my pass status for the ICM class, then I had to request authorization to register for the exam. Is there something I'm missing?

Course confirmation is done so the course is registered with your account. You'd still get authorisation for the exam without course. You just don't get the VCP status if you were to pass the exam without course.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Course confirmation is done so the course is registered with your account. You'd still get authorisation for the exam without course. You just don't get the VCP status if you were to pass the exam without course.

Huh, weird. Fair enough I suppose. I kept hearing you couldn't take the exam until after the training.
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Correct.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    scott28tt wrote: »

So i don't need to be Associate first ? I can just go straight to be Professional ?
    BTW thanks all for the feed back.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So i don't need to be Associate first ? I can just go straight to be Professional ?
    BTW thanks all for the feed back.

Associate isn't a prereq for VCP.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, you can go right for the VCP, but you'll need to take a authorized course. I took my class at the local community college. It was around 11 weeks long. I liked the structure and the instructor. I'm not a fan of the boot camps. More expensive and too short.
  • Options
    mjnk77 wrote: »
    Yes, you can go right for the VCP, but you'll need to take a authorized course. I took my class at the local community college. It was around 11 weeks long. I liked the structure and the instructor. I'm not a fan of the boot camps. More expensive and too short.

Hi there..Thanks for the feed back..so you can't just buy a vmware book study and go take the exam.?
  • Options
    alias454alias454 Member Posts: 648 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, you cannot just take the exam and then become certified. You have to take the exam and an approved training course to become VCP. However, (someone correct me if I am wrong) once the initial course is taken, you do not need to take any additional VMware approved courses to advance your certification level.
    “I do not seek answers, but rather to understand the question.”
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi there..Thanks for the feed back..so you can't just buy a vmware book study and go take the exam.?

You can take the exam at any time but until you have taken the approved course you won't get the VCP accreditation.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    GForce75GForce75 Member Posts: 222
    He is correct on the loop-hole. That's how I managed to take it myself. It's great because you can take the rest if you have a VCP exam already without the classes (i'm 98 percent sure on this). You just email them the CCNA and they will authorize you take it. VMWare is a little weird to figure out (setting up tests) when doing it the first time.
    Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT
  • Options
    Thanks guys... i think i got it now.