Quick question regarding Pearson Vue

BGavnGBGavnG Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Was overlooking the bulletin and was hoping for a little more description regarding the noteboard you apparently have? How big is it? Can I have multiple? Some of the terms I have memorized by the way I write them.

Comments

• jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I sat CISSP & SSCP in the London Pearson Vue. They provided one A4 plastic note board with semi permanent marker (they clean them after, I believe this is for transparency in the highly secure test centres). I was told I could have as many as I wanted, all I had to do was ask for fresh ones as they filled up. One was enough for me. They also provide ear plugs and tissues.
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently took the exam and received a one sided A4 laminated paper. I think if it gets filled up you just give it to them and they give you another one.
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    One thing about the erasable note boards.
    The proctors will tell you that you can't start writing on the boards until you start the test.
    Don't know how emphatic they are about enforcing that rule.
    Pearson Vue proctors are a bunch of ****'s.
    mjsinhsv wrote: »
    The proctors will tell you that you can't start writing on the boards until you start the test.

I was told the same thing about writing on the boards. But my experience of their proctors is much different. Each time, they were friendly, helpful and pleasant. Couldn't fault them.
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    This is what they look like. I was given one sheet with a fine point permanent marker -- for security reasons, they probably want to see what you are writing etc.

erasable_booklet.jpg
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154

It really depends on the people at the center. The proctors and front desk people were very warm, cordial, friendly and deeply respectful. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. I was the only one taking the CISSP there. They said they had a few in the previous weeks, so they are used to the protocol. It all depends on their personalities and familiarity with the test protocol.
    Just had a bad experience with this one papadoc.
    The CISSP is probably the hardest test I've ever taken and they didn't make the experience any easier.

When I took a break, they scolded me for me leaving my phone on, which was in my locker. They never told me to turn my phone off and there were no signs to turn the phones off. When I emptied my pockets and put my phone in the locker, it was the last thing on my mind. There were no phone calls so other than chirping when the phone received an email, it wasn't making much noise could not be heard inside the test area anyway.

One thing I didn't mention, I brought a couple of aspirin with me in case I got a stress headache...which I did about two hours into the test.
    When I took a break and turned the phone off ( while they watched me of course) I asked them if I could take the aspirin in my locker and they told me NO.
    There is absolutely no reason at all in the world why they should not have allowed me to take the aspirin. Like taking two freaking aspirin was cheating and would magically allow me to pass the test.
    When I scheduled the test, the rules of engagement specifically stated that you would be allowed to take breaks and medicine if needed. I'm sure I am not the first person to get a headache while taking the CISSP.

I thought , well maybe the witch was perturbed because I didn't turn my phone off.
    BUT, it pissed me off.
    I paid them $600 to take the test (out of my pocket). I had to take a day of personal vacation off work (again out of my pocket) AND they searched me like a convict entering prison.
    I know for a fact that specific test center administers the CISSP test all the time so they should know what the rules are.

When I completed the test and they handed me the results, the lady smiled and said "thank you for testing with pearson vue and please come back" which I felt was genuine and she was happy for me.

On hind-site, I think the Pearson Vue proctors have probably seen every kind of test cheating known to man and were just practicing due care with CIA.
    Like a true security professional, their first response to anything is "NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT". ;)
    Like a true security professional, their first response to anything is "NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT". ;)

LOL! Ah, but a true security professional doesn't say that. We're not here to tell the business what they can and cannot do, we're here to enable the business to function securely. We need to be creative with our solutions, not restrictive. I recommend this free Kindle book that gets the point across well:

UK - Managing Risk and Information Security: Protect to Enable (Expert's Voice in Information Technology) eBook: Malcolm Harkins: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
    US - Amazon.com: Managing Risk and Information Security: Protect to Enable (Expert's Voice in Information Technology) eBook: Malcolm Harkins: Kindle Store

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now icon_wink.gif
    Thanks Jon.
    I'm not a security professional.
    More of a sarcastic unprofessional with narcisistic aspirations.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seen everything from small whiteboards to 8x11 laminated sheets. No telling til you get there or call ahead if your really curious. Doesn't matter much to me as I rarely use them in the first place.

Locally here in Chicago there are testing centers that go out of their way to be helpful, pleasant and just down right nice. Fair but strict. "We want you to have a good testing experience..." types. That helps. Doesn't make the experience particularly fun but doesn't add to the difficulty of exam day either.

Contrast above to the: "I make little over minimum wage and I hate you for it..." types. Yes, they exist and have access to latex gloves to boot! This person is confident your here to **** and its (usually her) job to stop you from accomplishing your nefarious goal. Her hands are as cold as her heart - now cough! Harder!! This person lives to make you uncomfortable and delights in the idea that you may fail because of the mistreatment.

How about the gum chewing, bored out of their mind, doesn't mean to be a distraction - but is proctor? The one who chews gum in the testing center while standing over you entire exam? Why? Because they can and will or they will talk to incessantly during a break. Now is a good time to start smoking if no other reason to escape the mindless blather. Twenty-two floors to the street level? No problem. I'll take the stairs - see you in 15!

Yeah, I've done those and more. Find a site that you like well enough and stick to it. My favorite has gone out of business or moved, not sure. Now, I have to look to be sure.

- b/eads
  • RiverLiverRiverLiver Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm doing my recon visit to Pearson in Schaumburg (Chicago burb) on Friday. I'll make sure I ask them about the Advil, gum and cell phone, etc.

I have a one-sheet brain **** that I planned on copying to the plastic sheet 'before' the clock started. I thought there was
    like a 10 minute period that you had to accept the NDA before the clock started...

Probably better not to try and get too cute with the whole deal or I might get the Nurse Ratchett treatment like you got.
    Schaumburg is a nicer area so maybe they don't wear rubber gloves.

Think the brain dumping before you start the test is a hard and fast rule. I've taken other tests at different test centers and they told me the same thing.
    Also read somewhere if someone is caught cheating in any way, they will kick them out with no refund. And ISC bans them from taking their tests.
    Pearson Vue has a camera on each applicant that is monitored and recorded. (Detective) ;)
    6 hours is plenty of time for most anyone to take that test so writing notes after you start shouldn't matter.

Doing a recon at the test center is a good idea.

I went to Atlanta once to take a test I had scheduled for 1:00pm . Gave myself extra time for traffic or whatever.
    When I got there, I went across the street from the test center to eat lunch at noon . Right after ordering lunch, I looked down at my phone and it was 1:00.
    Had completely forgot that Atlanta is eastern time zone and I drove from a central time zone. My phone had just synced up with the local carrier NTP servers.
    Ran out of the restaurant leaving my lunch untouched on the table to get to the test center on time. Was 20 minutes late but they let me in.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    For those not familiar with the Chicagoland area, Shaumburg, a Northwestern suburb of Chicago proper, often likes to bill itself as "The Loop West". A bit pretentious but that's the burbs for ya.

Doubtful you'll have a hard time with the testing center. The one on Madison and Franklin is gone now. Clark street should be avoided, at least by me, at any rational cost, and not sure about East Wacker, which is or was my favorite.

Ann Arbor Michigan was close, cramped and difficult to schedule - even months out!

Davenport University in Grand Rapids was fine. No complaints. Oh lets see... Traverse City was within the library. Not bad. Quiet.

Yep. Done a few in various different places. Some are great some not so much. Really boils down to preference and whose working that day.

- b/eads